How many songs are in your itunes ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How many songs are in your itunes ?

KEXPMF
05-09-2005, 10:00 PM
2000+ and I've barely scratched the surface. I also have 27 different playlists (for moods, genres, sub-genres, days of the week, car trips, etc).

Yesterday I saw someone with 25,000 songs in their itunes.

Kaboom
05-09-2005, 10:27 PM
4856 songs, 14.1 days and 25.97GB of music.
I've still to rip a few albums.

Stone
05-10-2005, 04:16 AM
I've never used iTunes, but I don't listen to music on my computer. Plus I don't download mp3s. The mp3s I put on my iPod I rip from my own CDs or LPs, and transfer them using MusicMatch (which isn't great, but it gets the job done). Is there any reason I should be using this program?

Troy
05-10-2005, 07:12 AM
Being a Mac guy I've used iTunes for many years now.

Funny tho, but while I use it to compile comp CDs, I clean it out when the CD is done.

My wife has an iPod and I load it with stuff via iTunes as well, but again, I dump it out of the computer once it's in the pod. I personally have no use for an iPod at this stage in life. I have a 70s vintage Kenwood in my 10x10 office that's plenty loud (I run the 'puter through it as well), nice hi-fi in the car.

The only thing I keep in there is about 50 songs, and they are all my songs created in GarageBand.

I really think it's an age thing. Most people under 30 use it a lot, over 40, hardly at all.

newtrix1
05-10-2005, 07:16 AM
I've never used iTunes, but I don't listen to music on my computer. Plus I don't download mp3s. The mp3s I put on my iPod I rip from my own CDs or LPs, and transfer them using MusicMatch (which isn't great, but it gets the job done). Is there any reason I should be using this program?

Just yesterday a dude at work handed me a DVD-R with 1000+ songs on it! Said it was pretty much his entire music collection on one disc. Unreal! He uses i-tunes and told me that I can download the program for free. I haven't checked it out yet, but I can forsee some type of digital music format in my near future. My 11 year old son has been grovelling for an MP3 player since Christmas. I'll break down one of these days... :rolleyes:

Mr MidFi
05-10-2005, 07:58 AM
About 2200 on iTunes, 2100 on the pod. I really wish I had the time to fill up the other half of the hard drive in the pod.

I'm on shuffle mode right now. Portishead just ended, and Trail of Dead is now playing. I love my iPod in an almost creepy way.

-Jar-
05-10-2005, 10:52 AM
I downloaded about 12 songs from Itunes using those pepsi bottle caps :)

I don't have an I-Pod, so I don't really use the program all that much.

I downloaded it and it went and started converting all my mp3's.. no way man.

I like Windows Media Player much better. I was able to burn those songs from the I-tunes to a cd so I could use them on a comp. Yay.

Is the main thing of I-tunes to use it as an interface with the I-pod? I don't even want to get into buying songs, because I could see that becoming a problem for me. They don't sound that bad. Whatever format is that they're in.

-jar

Mr MidFi
05-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Jar: To answer your question...

1. Yeah, serving as an iPod interface is one of the primary functions of iTunes. Getting you to buy stuff at their music store is also a primary raison d'etre. For burning discs and making comps, I still use Roxio.

2. Buying songs was all coolness for me when I first downloaded the software. But after the first 100 or so, it lost its appeal for me. Still...I'm glad as hell to have those 100 songs.

3. The stuff you buy from Apple is in their AAC format, and it sounds OK considering the degree of compression. But when I rip from discs, I choose the more universally recognized MP3 format. When ripped at 192kps, MP3 actually sounds pretty good. Not great, but far better than you'd expect from the file size.

NP: Ted Nugent, "Stranglehold" (which I bought for 99 cents and put on my pod)

Kaboom
05-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Itunes KICKS ASS. the reason i do it is because it keeps my whole music collection (everything on CD or dowloaded off the inet, too busy to digitalize my vinyl) organized.
You can look up ANY song instantly by entering a part of the name, or the album, or even the year it was composed. It gets them sorted by albums, artist, genres... and of course you can make your own playlists. Supports direct CD burning....
the best things about it imho is how neatly organized it gets your collection, and the REALLY powerful real-time search function.
cheers!

Troy
05-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Kaboom is right, the real useful aspect to iTunes is that it organizes all the music however you want. It's really easy to find anything, even with thousands of titles in there.

In 5 years I've never actually bought a song with it . . .

ForeverAutumn
05-12-2005, 06:37 AM
The only thing that I use itunes for is to load stuff onto my iPod (which I just bought portable speakers for so that I can listen to it in hotel rooms :) ) I've haven't had much time to play with the program, so I don't really know what it can do. In fact, I didn't even know that there was a search function until Kaboom mentioned it.

So, what else should I know?

P.S. 827 songs on my iPod currently.

Mike
05-12-2005, 07:08 AM
So, what else should I know?

One useful feature is being able to equalise the output levels of tracks so you can avoid those loud/quiet tracks

Cheers
Mike

shokhead
05-12-2005, 07:39 AM
Whats itune?

Mike
05-12-2005, 08:14 AM
Whats itune?

iTunes is the Apple software that allows you to manage and play your MP3s through your computer and load onto your iPod. But you don't have to use an iPod with it, it's just a great tool for organising and storing music. You can build playlists, play random selections, write to CDR's etc.

Of course Apple would like it if you used it with an iPod and dowloaded music with it but if you have a big music collection yourself you've probably got more than enough music to keept you busy

Cheers
Mike

Jim Clark
05-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Dino techie here. Just still chugging around a discman. I will buy my oldest son some type of MP3 player in the next couple of weeks. Not really sold on Apple due primarily to the battery issue. I want to use my own rechargeable batteries and anything else will be a deal breaker for me. I'll be looking for anywhere from one to 5 gigs, cost really isn't a huge issue for once, but I'd like it to be reasonably sturdy since he is 13 afterall.

Any suggestions from the board would be grand.

Regards,
jc

Kaboom
05-12-2005, 02:30 PM
i dont know of any hard-drive based players that use standard rechargeable batteries... I dont know of any hard-drive baes player that dont have a batt-life issue.
Dont know of any hard-drive based players which are sturdy, basically because every time u jump, or drop it, or whatever you are slamming the heads against the surface of the disc...
HOWEVER! i have heard great things about the creative Zen line... The Archos Jukeboxes are also nice, but they are also as big as a full-size brick.
Little word of advice, even if money isnt an issue and unless your kid is in love with it, keep away from the ipod. I'll probably get flamed for this but imho opinion is a SERIOUSLY overpriced, underfeatured piece of crap. You are paying for the design and the cute little laser-cut apple in the stainless steel back. They break, they scratch, they have awfully expensive short-lived batteries. I've had 2 of them, and i'm never getting any more.
look into the creative Zen. or the Dell DJ.
cheers!

Dusty Chalk
05-12-2005, 03:21 PM
I went with the Creative Nomad Jukebox 3. I'm still happy with it.

You may want to try looking around here (http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=22).

ForeverAutumn
05-13-2005, 06:24 AM
Dino techie here. Just still chugging around a discman. I will buy my oldest son some type of MP3 player in the next couple of weeks. Not really sold on Apple due primarily to the battery issue. I want to use my own rechargeable batteries and anything else will be a deal breaker for me. I'll be looking for anywhere from one to 5 gigs, cost really isn't a huge issue for once, but I'd like it to be reasonably sturdy since he is 13 afterall.

Any suggestions from the board would be grand.

Regards,
jc

Hi Jim,
I just recently bought my iPod, and after doing a lot of research and pricing around, I have to agree with Kaboom on the iPod being over-priced. I was actually going to purchase a Creative Zen Jukebox. However, when I started researching accessories, the iPod had a lot more to offer and a lot more selection. That's what eventually sold me on the iPod.

If you aren't interested in accessories (I have since purchased a car charger, an FM transmitter, and portable speakers to travel with and use in the backyard) then you're probably better off buying a less expensive brand. If you're going to want to expand with accessories, stick to the iPod. You'll be happier in the long run.

I also haven't seen an MP3 player that allows you to use your own batteries. But one of the iPod accessories that you can buy is a Back-up Battery Pack (made by Belkin) that connects to your iPod and runs on 4 AAs. You may be able to purchase a battery pack for other brands...at this point I'm only looking at iPod accessories since that's what I own.

I haven't found the iPod battery to be a problem yet. It's never run out on me and there are several ways that I can charge it...attach it to my computer; plug it into it's dock (or A/C adapter if you don't have a dock); car charger; and the speakers that I just bought will charge the iPod if I run them from the A/C adapter and not batteries.

Generally, if I'm not listening to it, I just connect it to my computer while I'm working and it charges up fairly quickly.

The accessories may be a bit much for a 13-yr-old. And they don't come cheap. A decent set of speakers ran me $200 (Canadian). So, he'll be relying on you to provide the extras. Maybe a good reason to stay away from anything with expensive accessories. Unless of course you're looking for some good Christmas ideas. ;)

KEXPMF
05-13-2005, 10:59 AM
About 2200 on iTunes, 2100 on the pod. I really wish I had the time to fill up the other half of the hard drive in the pod.

I'm on shuffle mode right now. Portishead just ended, and Trail of Dead is now playing. I love my iPod in an almost creepy way.

AH SHUFFLE. It's like having a radio station that ONLY plays all of your favorite songs. Right?? :cool:
I also love my iPod and iTunes, the iPod so much that my ears are maybe paying the price, it goes EVERYWHERE with me, so I keep the volume a bit lower now. I spoke with a lot of iPod AND Zen users before making the iPod decision. Both seemed very happy, although the iPod users, almost sounded like it was a religion. I don't know about feeling THAT strongly about it... but enough so that I speak up and recommend it highly....My decision came down to going to Best Buy and spending an hour just looking at both of them and talking everyone who came by the display including employees... and just going with my gut that I'd be happier with the iPod. I liked the wheel. It just seemed fun to operate compared to the Zen. I think I made the right decision.

There is a LOT that you can do with iTunes besides loading songs onto your iPod. The music store has celebrity playlists, so you can see, for example, what the Porcupine Tree singer or Geddy Lee has chosen. (OK, those 2 aren't on there but that's an example).
Also... as you start searching around, you can look at other people's playlists (mix cds).
Occasionaly they offer a song or two for free, usually it's not something good but I did get a Tegan & Sarah tune and a Kaiser Cheifs tune for free on there.

My favorite feature of iTunes is probably the playlist feature. Making mix cds is favorite hobby. I'd spend all day doing that if I could!

Jim - I definitely, definitely recommend the $99 iPod shuffle for your son. For many reasons. We'll talk more when I get to town!

KEXPMF
05-13-2005, 11:14 AM
Jim - see what I said here about "Shuffle" mode on the iPod?
This is part of why your son will be happy with the iPod Shuffle. It only shuffles (only has 'shuffle mode'), that is what makes many people think it's NOT the right one to buy. I believe that for some people, the Shuffle IS the one to buy, and for some people the 20 Gig or 'mini' is the one to buy. (i.e. I'd say the people on RR are 20,40 or 60 gig people.. for me the 20 is just right... the question to ask if someone is deciding between the 20 and 40 is, 'do you want to load entire albums or say, 3-5 songs from each album?') (I fall into the latter category)

This is just my opinion but it's as if you said to Apple, "I need an iPod that is perfect for my teen son and I need it to cost $99." Apple went away and came back with the iPod Shuffle just for your situation.

For people like me, the Shuffle is not the right one. For your son, it is. It's for people who aren't yet music obsessed like we are. Eventually he may graduate to the 20 or 40 gig.

I'm also of the belief that it's probably better to buy a kid something that is NOT the top of the line. They learn to appreciate things. Plus if he breaks or loses it.. it's $99 as opposed to $200-$300. If you worry at all about his hearing, I will tell him a story that will scare him straight. (and go see the movie I recommended "It's All Gone Pete Tong", don't take the kids but see it and tell him about it... he'll be a fan of earplugs after he hears my story and hears about that movie) :)

KEXPMF
05-13-2005, 11:22 AM

MusicMatch is just fine. I switched to iTunes because I found out that you can transport everything* pretty easily and I THOUGHT iTunes might be better, but the 2 are very similar so you are fine.

I like the iTunes music store more BUT I haven't looked at MusicMatch in a while and I would guess they keep up to speed with iTunes.

*the songs I had purchased from MusicMatch didn't transfer. Luckily this was only 6 songs and I had burned them onto a cd before I did the transfer.
I.E. If you bought a lot of songs on MusicMatch, keep this in mind if you are thinking of switching to iTunes.

One more warning... the iTunes music store can be addictive. When a song is in front of your face and all you have to do is click a button and it's yours for $1.... it's tempting. I have probably spent more money on iTunes in a month than I'd spend on cds in several months.

KEXPMF
05-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Being a Mac guy I've used iTunes for many years now.

Funny tho, but while I use it to compile comp CDs, I clean it out when the CD is done.

My wife has an iPod and I load it with stuff via iTunes as well, but again, I dump it out of the computer once it's in the pod. I personally have no use for an iPod at this stage in life. I have a 70s vintage Kenwood in my 10x10 office that's plenty loud (I run the 'puter through it as well), nice hi-fi in the car.

The only thing I keep in there is about 50 songs, and they are all my songs created in GarageBand.

I really think it's an age thing. Most people under 30 use it a lot, over 40, hardly at all.

I totally agree with you... for me, living in a place where I only use public transportation, going to parties, where I sit and make a mix for my iPod just for THAT party, before I go (that is endlessly fun... I'm a DJ after all!) , I'm addicted to making mix cds for my friends.... an iPod is certainly good for me. If I was more stabile and had a vintage Kenwood, I'd never leave the house, I'd resume collecting vinyl, knowing that I wasn't going to be moving, I'd be very happy!!... and an iPod probably woudn't be of use. Although I don't imagine there will ever be a time that I won't want iTunes or to make mix cds and buy songs here and there.

Jim Clark
05-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Thank you guys for your suggestions. The mixed reactions shown here are pretty much what have delayed the purchase so long in the first place!

He has more than enough dough to buy whatever he wants but we're in a postion that we want to do something a little above and beyond for them right now. I am pretty locked into a HD based player at this point. At 13 it's a little bit of a status thing so I don't want to let him down too much since we draw the line on so many other things that a great many of his peers in Johnson County, KS just take for granted. Like 150.00 basketball shoes for example!

Plus, he has finally gotten over the whole rap thing and that alone is worth celebrating, isn't it? I don't think the Shuffle is gonna work. He has picked up a bit on my own peculiar notions of eschewing mutidisc players in favor of a single disc. When he wants to listen to something, it's that he wants to hear, not that intermixed with a bunch of other stuff that might not be right for the current mood. Sadly, despite his stated goal to the contrary, he's turning out more and more like Dad everyday. I don't point this out since he'll be horrified by that reality soon enough!

Thanks again!

jc

KEXPMF
05-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Thank you guys for your suggestions. The mixed reactions shown here are pretty much what have delayed the purchase so long in the first place!

He has more than enough dough to buy whatever he wants but we're in a postion that we want to do something a little above and beyond for them right now. I am pretty locked into a HD based player at this point. At 13 it's a little bit of a status thing so I don't want to let him down too much since we draw the line on so many other things that a great many of his peers in Johnson County, KS just take for granted. Like 150.00 basketball shoes for example!

Plus, he has finally gotten over the whole rap thing and that alone is worth celebrating, isn't it? I don't think the Shuffle is gonna work. He has picked up a bit on my own peculiar notions of eschewing mutidisc players in favor of a single disc. When he wants to listen to something, it's that he wants to hear, not that intermixed with a bunch of other stuff that might not be right for the current mood. Sadly, despite his stated goal to the contrary, he's turning out more and more like Dad everyday. I don't point this out since he'll be horrified by that reality soon enough!

Thanks again!

jc

Ah. In that case, Dr. KEXPMF recommends the Mini or 20 Gig for your son. (the mini is actually the coolest looking of all the iPods, IMO)
I'm glad that the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree, the Shuffle is probably not for the kid who is already talking about being in the mood for certain songs. I'm impressed!!
My first encounter with the Johnson County kids was at KU. You'd see the JO license plates appear as soon as the fall semester started every year. They had BMWs, and not only that, they were new and they got them when they were seniors in high school. And they didn't even know that wasn't normal. Ok maybe I'm exaggering... but not too much!! :)
The author of "What's the Matter With Kansas" was a JO kid. Mission Hills.
I think that would be a challenging environment to raise a kid in. I'm glad your kids have you though! That will produce good kids, despite being surrounded by $150 shoes and (I'm guessing.... 60 Gig iPod Photos with those Bose docking stations).
I hope I get to meet these cool kids soon! I can talk rap with the best of them. (I DO have to make money DJing sometimes... i.e. I have to know more about 50 Cent and The Game than I could ever want to). Now, we can talk about how bad it is. Whew!
PS - Don't fret about the kid liking music that is crappy in case that happens again. When I was his age (well younger actually... by his age I was all about the Led Zeppelin which is good), I liked something much, much worse and more horrifying than rap, and I turned out just fine (musically anyway).

ForeverAutumn
05-13-2005, 04:56 PM
Game than I could ever want to). Now, we can talk about how bad it is. Whew!
PS - Don't fret about the kid liking music that is crappy in case that happens again. When I was his age (well younger actually... I liked something much, much worse and more horrifying than rap, and I turned out just fine (musically anyway).

What could be more horrifying than rap?

Wait...don't answer that...I'm not sure that I want to know. :(

;)

Dusty Chalk
05-13-2005, 06:32 PM
I also haven't seen an MP3 player that allows you to use your own batteries.Actually, the Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 has like three different battery choices, one of which is AA's, I believe.

I got mine direct from Creative off of their eBay store.

My friend swapped an 80G drive into his. Apparently, it's a straightforward enough operation; I just haven't done mine myself yet. I'm a 20G person...for now. Even though I load whole albums (in some cases, whole oeuvres), I just don't listen to it that much. But starting Monday, I'll be riding the Metro, so that will probably change.

Jim Clark
05-13-2005, 07:50 PM
Actually, the Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 has like three different battery choices, one of which is AA's, I believe.

I got mine direct from Creative off of their eBay store.

My friend swapped an 80G drive into his. Apparently, it's a straightforward enough operation; I just haven't done mine myself yet. I'm a 20G person...for now. Even though I load whole albums (in some cases, whole oeuvres), I just don't listen to it that much. But starting Monday, I'll be riding the Metro, so that will probably change.

"Riding the Metro-oh-oh"

jc

Dusty Chalk
05-13-2005, 09:46 PM
"Riding the Metro-oh-oh":-D

Yeah, that song goes through my head a lot when I do that.

Except I don't remember a soldier sleeping next to me. But I do remember searching for the perfect words...

Although I did have that one drooler lean against me once...

KEXPMF
05-15-2005, 02:25 PM
What could be more horrifying than rap?

Wait...don't answer that...I'm not sure that I want to know. :(

;)

Let's just say it's along the lines of today's Britney Spears, NSync, etc. :o

ForeverAutumn
05-16-2005, 04:55 AM
Let's just say it's along the lines of today's Britney Spears, NSync, etc. :o

Doh! I told you that I didn't want to know!

I hear ya sister. If I told you the teenybopper bands that I used to listen to...well...let's just say that it's not a phase of my life that I'm particularly proud of. Thankfully I had older brothers to eventually show me the musical way. :D

Dusty Chalk
05-16-2005, 04:08 PM
Let's just say it's along the lines of today's Britney Spears, NSync, etc. :oWell, I listen to Pink and Kylie Minogue and even the occasional Shania Twain, and I still think most rap is "worse" (I.E. not for me).

Grblgrbl
05-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Over 7,000 somgs on my iTunes and iPod. All were taken from my cd collection.

mwheelerk
05-20-2005, 08:50 PM
I never thought I would mess around with one of these things. I went ahead and bought a Mini in late December. By late April I had the iPod Photo 30gb.

3,856 songs so far! About half full not counting the album art I now store on the iPod and a few personal photos.