Dish adds VOOM's HD channels to its HD lineup [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dish adds VOOM's HD channels to its HD lineup

Woochifer
05-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Well, this changes the landscape quite a bit! VOOM had a small, but dedicated following, as well as the biggest assortment of HD offerings, many of which were VOOM exclusives. Alas, VOOM was an idea probably too far ahead of its time, so its satellite was sold to Echostar (owner of Dish Network) and its programming terminated at the end of April. Speculation was that the HD channels that VOOM operated (some movie channels, one for extreme sports, another for design and style, another one for music, etc.) would expire with the VOOM service.

But, Dish announced last week that 10 of VOOM's HD channels would be added to their existing HD service. This vaults Dish to the head of the pack as far as HD offerings go, and puts pressure on Directv, which has limited bandwidth from which to expand their HD service until their new satellites go into service sometime next year. And supposedly Dish will add 11 more of VOOM's HD channels early next year.

Directv has touted that they will have capacity for 1,500 HD channels when their satellite upgrade is finished, but there's a catch. The new HD channels will be broadcast in MPEG-4, which is not supported by Directv's current generation of satellite receivers. Furthermore, the new receivers needed to support MPEG-4 have not even been developed yet. Basically, Directv cannot add to their limited HD service, and when they do, it will require that existing HD customers replace their satellite receivers -- whenever those receivers come out.

Not sure how it work with Dish, but from the sound of things, they have a big opportunity right now to capture a sizable chunk of the HD market. They already increased their capacity by acquiring VOOM's satellite, and now they're expanding the programming that they can offer. Looks like a very interesting and rapidly shifting market over the next couple of years, and with HD-DVD and Blu-ray on the horizon, I think HDTV is finally poised for its big push.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/echostarvoom050205.html

Breezer88888
05-09-2005, 06:28 PM
I just heard the great news today, but haven't had a chance to call Dish yet. I'm currently a Dish customer and have been waiting for the industry to stop dogging their feet with their bandwidth limitations. I was actually considering changing my subscription to Comcast, or installing an old fashioned roof antenna to pick up local HD broadcasts, but whew!! This changes things.

Thanks for the head's up on next year's additional 11 VOOM HD channels. Any idea what they will be? The current choice of 10 is okay, but kind of a weird dispersion of programming. Who care? If its more HD, its for me!!

jdm56
05-19-2005, 11:59 PM
Well, this changes the landscape quite a bit! VOOM had a small, but dedicated following, as well as the biggest assortment of HD offerings, many of which were VOOM exclusives. Alas, VOOM was an idea probably too far ahead of its time, so its satellite was sold to Echostar (owner of Dish Network) and its programming terminated at the end of April. Speculation was that the HD channels that VOOM operated (some movie channels, one for extreme sports, another for design and style, another one for music, etc.) would expire with the VOOM service.

But, Dish announced last week that 10 of VOOM's HD channels would be added to their existing HD service. This vaults Dish to the head of the pack as far as HD offerings go, and puts pressure on Directv, which has limited bandwidth from which to expand their HD service until their new satellites go into service sometime next year. And supposedly Dish will add 11 more of VOOM's HD channels early next year.

Directv has touted that they will have capacity for 1,500 HD channels when their satellite upgrade is finished, but there's a catch. The new HD channels will be broadcast in MPEG-4, which is not supported by Directv's current generation of satellite receivers. Furthermore, the new receivers needed to support MPEG-4 have not even been developed yet. Basically, Directv cannot add to their limited HD service, and when they do, it will require that existing HD customers replace their satellite receivers -- whenever those receivers come out.

Not sure how it work with Dish, but from the sound of things, they have a big opportunity right now to capture a sizable chunk of the HD market. They already increased their capacity by acquiring VOOM's satellite, and now they're expanding the programming that they can offer. Looks like a very interesting and rapidly shifting market over the next couple of years, and with HD-DVD and Blu-ray on the horizon, I think HDTV is finally poised for its big push.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/echostarvoom050205.html

That IS great news! Thanks for the update.

I've been holding off on taking the plunge into HD because of a lack of programming (and money! :D ), so things are definitely looking better in that regard.

I wonder if Dish will carry the major networks in HD?

swgiust
05-20-2005, 09:36 AM
I have had the voom hd channels for about a week now. Overall I'd give it a 6 out of 10.
I love the Rave channel, mostly HD concerts. Some good acts, looks and sounds
great. Most of the other channels are ok, but not really anything I'd normaly watch.

I think that the networks and satelite providers really need to look at what customers
want. Current Normal tv. I want all my sports in hd, I want all my network tv in hd.
Hopefully the HD/BlueRay dvd will let all the people out there who have a HD set,
but don't get hd channels realize how crappy regular tv really is.

Breezer88888
06-01-2005, 07:43 PM
Since you have Dish HD with Voom and all, can you tell me which local broadcast channels are coming thru in HD? In my area, I'm pretty sure that I only get CBS. That would be perfect if I were a CSI fanatic, but I can only watch so much of that stuff. Anyway, I wanted to verify this since I was getting inconsistent info from the Dish reps. I'm getting my Dish HD receiver soon, but I didn't go for the Voom package b/c of the extra dish needed (and the $100 to install it).

Thanks for your post on Voom. Btw, I have the Infinity IL-36c center too. I have it matched up with some of Infinity's older tower speakers (RS series). I love that center!!

swgiust
06-02-2005, 05:23 AM
I cannot get any local channels in HD over the dish. I can get ABC, and CBS on my
off air antenna in HD.

Here are the channels I get in HD:

DISH:
ESPN
Discovery
HDnet
HDmovie
TNT
10 voom channels

Antenna:
ABC
CBS
PBS

Breezer88888
06-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Sounds like I'll be adding a roof antenna after all (Winegard HD9085P). I live too far from the city to pick up anything from a set-top antenna. And my TV is in the basement, so its next to impossible to get a good signal.

Its frustrating, but I'm also considering either an upconverting DVD player - or wait for Playstation #3 which will play BluRay DVDs. I wonder if the Playstation that will come out in 2006 will upconvert standard DVDs. I guess it will pay to be patient.

swgiust
06-02-2005, 11:30 AM
Make sure you use a UHF only antenna. They look like a wire fence. A VHF/UHF combo
will not do as good on HD signals. Mine cost me $ 150 installed.

Forget upconverting DVD's. They don't do anything. You are not getting HD out of them.
Basicaly, your tv has a "native format" 720p or 1080i. It displays everything at one of
these resolutions. So at some point, any video you send to it, tv, dvd, vcr, has to be
up converted. Your tv does this now. Some of the new DVD players may do it better
than an older tv, but the difference is minimal. Wait for a good BlueRay or HD DVD player
and you will be amazed at the picture quality.

Breezer88888
06-02-2005, 12:21 PM
Good tip on the upconverting DVD players. I plan to wait anyway since BluRay & HD DVD is on the distant horizon.

UHF-only is the way to go b/c it does a better job of isolating the pickup of HD signals. The Winegard I noted is a good UHF only antenna that goes for $70, and is not the "bowtie" one you mentioned. You can look up the HD9085P on their website. Its shaped more like an elongated spikey ray gun. Installation will be about $180. Since I don't want to climb up to my 30+ foot sloped roof, I guess I'll let these installers rip me off a bit.