Maggs????? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Maggs?????

oddeoowphil38
05-09-2005, 01:11 PM
Anybody know of any real good home audio or home theater magazines?? I know of Stereophile, Home Theater any others? I especially like the articles that contain in depth reviews of speakers. You know the ones that compare product A to product B as so forth. Anyways, feel free to let us know what you know with respect to magazine subscriptions.

topspeed
05-09-2005, 01:19 PM
The Absolute Sound & The Perfect Vision are my two favs. There's also Sound & Vision and Brit mags like Hifi Choice.

corwin99
05-09-2005, 02:17 PM
I like UHF (ultra high fidelity).. it seems a bit more honest than others, but I mainly buy it because it is Canadian and cheaper than the others.

Woochifer
05-09-2005, 03:23 PM
Most American magazines do not do a lot of comparison tests. They tend to focus on impressions of individual components, without direct comparisons with competing products. For those, you need to look for British audio magazines like What Hi-Fi?, Hi-Fi News, and Hi-Fi Choice. Sometimes, you'll see reviews for over 100 products in a single issue.

The drawback to that approach is that the write-ups are not as thorough or as detailed as what you would typically find in Stereophile or The Absolute Sound. And those comparison tests overly focus on assigning 1 to 5-star ratings to the components in the roundup, so it's hard to judge the comparability of these ratings outside of a particular article. (i.e. an entry level Yamaha receiver rated at 5 stars is not necessarily a better performer than a flagship model that might have received 4 stars; and it might not even be better than another entry level receiver rated in a different issue, but only receiving 4 stars because it was compared against tougher competition)

Geoffcin
05-09-2005, 03:57 PM
Anybody know of any real good home audio or home theater magazines?? I know of Stereophile, Home Theater any others? I especially like the articles that contain in depth reviews of speakers. You know the ones that compare product A to product B as so forth. Anyways, feel free to let us know what you know with respect to magazine subscriptions.

The In-Wall speaker shootout was pretty good, also the moderately priced sub-woofer shootout.

Stereophile has a good format for speaker reviews, in that it's a dual review, with one being a tech review. It really pays to learn to read the tech charts though!