Klipsch Heresy or wait [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Klipsch Heresy or wait

thegreenline
05-09-2005, 08:23 AM
We are building a new Family/Home Theater room. As with everything in CA. the cost just keeps going up. And this is eating into my HT budget.

I was looking to spend @ 6 to 8000 dollars. Paradigm Studio 60's(fronts), CC-570(center), Seismic-10(sub). Also wanted to ad Denon 2910 DVD player a new turntable/cartridge. What I am using now: Paridigm Titans(front), CC-170(center), Def Tech Pro Sub 80(sub) and DEf Tech Pro Media 80(surronds).

I own a pair of Klipsch Heresy's (that actually still sound great). At my wifes urging I contacted Klipsch to find a center that would match the Heresy's. They recommended the RC-35(center), RS-35(sourronds) and thr RSW-10(sub). This would cost 1800 to 2000. The Paradigm speakers would be 4000 (using the titans as surronds). The Denon DVD player is still on the table, but I will stick with my present turntable Denon Direct Drive 33F ( in the early 80's) and replace the cartridge.

Should I go Klipsch or wait for Paradigm?

Will probally move out of California in 5 to 6 years. At which point the Equity in my home will allow me to do as I please. Also from past experience 2000 in hand for the Klipsch is a much safer bet than waiting for Paradigm's before we leave Ca.

I know this is long but any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, thegreenline

topspeed
05-09-2005, 08:34 AM
The Heresy's are great speakers and likely better than the RC line. If you still like their sound and the RC35 seems a close enough timbre match, that may very well be the way to go. The Studio's are a completely different sound; more refined but less "punch." Just pick whichever you think is more satisfying and worry about the budget later. It sounds like you had those Klipsch's since the '80's so you obviously understand the inherent value in buying a quality speaker. In the grand scheme of things, $2K is a drop in the ocean.

Hope this helps.

vr6ofpain
05-09-2005, 09:31 AM
I say stay with the Heresy's if this is going to be a home theater system primarily. The punch is good for movies, plus if you think about it, the Heresy is probably very similar in design to actual theater speakers...well the JBL professional ones I was looking at (12 or 15" mid-woofer, huge horn tweeter).

I assume Klipsch Heritage line doesn't include a center channel, but do they sell any of those speakers individually? Though if you wanted your center to sit on top of a TV then you obviously would to need to go with something smaller like the RC-35....

JJohnson
05-09-2005, 02:29 PM
I have had Heresy's for several years and have used the RC-3 center channel with them. I have had no real timbre issues. The Heresy's make great speakers for home theatre as they are very efficient and dynamic. I have a separate system for music, however, as Klipsch speakers can become a bit fatiguing to my ears. I have listened to the Paradigm Studio Series, though not in my home, and believe them to be a good speaker. In the end, you just have to let your ears and $ be your guide.
Good luck. It'll be fun either way.

Worf101
05-10-2005, 06:25 AM
For a long time, never used them in HT though, finally sold em for more than I bought em for. I'd personally always take "vintage" speakers over modern designs if I can get a decent sounding set up. If your wife likes the way the Klipsch sound and LOOK, then you're golden. Save the extrac caish and put it into other areas of your system...

Da Worfster