Anyone hear DeVotchKa yet? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear DeVotchKa yet?

Swish
05-09-2005, 04:04 AM
There's been quite a buzz about this quartet based in Colorado, but I haven't heard anything other than a couple sound bites from their website. The name was taken from A Clockwork Orange , but all the Burgess/Kubrick fans prolly already knew that.

Anyway, they're still an unsigned band but getting the royal treatment from industry people, so we'll likely be hearing about them soon. Their most recent record How It Ends,, was produced by Craig Shumacher (Calexico, Neko Case and Evan Dando fans should recognize his name) and released last October. According to some articles I read, they're all classically-trained and use some odd instruments, at least for "rock" music (violin, theremin, accordian, sousaphone) along with guitars, bass and drums. One blurb I read suggests the music is "oddly intriguing, with South American, Southwestern, and Eastern European traces, and has been called classical punk and roots folk".

I guess I'll take the bait on this one. I just placed my order with Deepdiscountcd.com for 11.97 with free, albeit super-slow, shipping.

Swish