The Album Leaf and 13 & God [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Album Leaf and 13 & God

Slosh
05-08-2005, 05:23 AM
Yesterday I decided it was about time to explore a little outside of my usual tastes so I picked up The Album Leaf - In A Safe Place (LP) and 13 & God - s/t (double LP). I dunno, you Notwist fans think this stuff might grow on me? I found them both to be a little boring. I much prefer The Album Leaf and not just because Pall Jenkins appears on some of the songs, but rather because it is more percussive and therefore is easier for me to latch onto. Maybe I'll change my mind after some more spins but I'm definitely gonna have to burn 13 & God to CD-R in order to do that. The LP sounds very good but it's kind of a PITA to flip the record over every two or three songs.

Stone
05-08-2005, 09:43 AM
I've been reading a bit about that 13 & God record, but I haven't got a good feel for what it sounds like. How would you describe it (hip hop, or more like Notwist)? RIYL?

Monkey Bones
05-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Heehee, I read about that 13 & God last week and at first it sounded like it might be kind of cool based on some of the reviews, especially the over the top rave at junkmedia, but the more I read, the less good it sounded. Then I checked at metacritic and one of the user reviews said enough for me.....

Kevin H gave it a 4:
One of the most boring releases of the year so far. Utter crap.

:)

There was a cool young guy from Boston that hung around here for a short while by the name of Toady, and we shared a lot of love for Pinback and BHP and many other bands, and he was a big Album Leaf fan so got a promo for that album and did a short review. I remember he was a bit disappointed in it as well so I let it fall on down my wishlist. But it did sound like it had the makings of something special in the promo press. The new Electrelane hits on Monday or Tuesday. Heard a couple tracks already and it sounds great. That and Spoon and all the tuneage that I've gotten in support of CRSV10 should be all I need for a few months.

Slosh
05-08-2005, 01:06 PM
I've been reading a bit about that 13 & God record, but I haven't got a good feel for what it sounds like. How would you describe it (hip hop, or more like Notwist)? RIYL?I've only had time to listen once so far and I was cooking dinner through half of it, but I can say it is definitely more Notwist than rap. Actually more like Notwist with some hip hop. Once I get a chance to transfer it to CD-R I'll send ya a copy to preview. I think it's a little too far outside my taste to nail down with just one spin.

Slosh
05-08-2005, 01:11 PM
One of the most boring releases of the year so far. Utter crap.

:)

I said the same thing about Turn on the Bright Lights so there you go :rolleyes:

Monkey Bones
05-08-2005, 01:22 PM
critics schmitics
You may be rich or poor, you may be blind or lame,
You may be living in another country under another name
But you're gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed
You're gonna have to serve somebody,
Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord
But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

Dusty Chalk
05-08-2005, 01:30 PM
I haven't heard the 13 & God yet (is that supposed to be some kind of cosmic intersection? If so, I like it), so couldn't tell ya.

I love Album Leaf, I think I have everything they've done. I've been calling that whole genre (Tristeza, Album Leaf, Dirty Three, Rachel's, Friends of Dean Martinez) The New Instrumentalism.

To whom, you might ask? To anyone who'll listen. Which means myself, pretty much.

Slosh
05-08-2005, 02:16 PM
RIYL?I just spun the first half again and it sounds a lot like June of 44, except with electronica instead of real instruments. Think Anahata composed with Garage Band.