Subwoofer problems [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer problems

ziggz
12-29-2003, 07:25 PM
I have an 8" 8 ohms sub in a ported, 188w RMS self-powered box.I believe that one of the voice coils came loose and is making undesirable "noise" as if something is rubbing against something inside the speaker. Anyhow, i've unscrewed the sub and I'm lookin to replace it rather than shell out 150 bucks on an entire new box.

I was wondering if this sub (url below) would work?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=17392494&St=6764&St2=85950562&St3=-75759270&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=16245&

Note that it says in the description: "The parameters indicate a good woofer for both closed and reflex boxes" Is this a significant consideration, considering that my box is ported?

If this is not appropriate, what should i do? where should i look for better subs?

Thanks.

This Guy
12-30-2003, 04:42 PM
tell me the volume of the box in cubic feet and how long/wide the port(s) are. Tell me that I can find the best 8" for your box.

-Joey

markw
12-30-2003, 04:43 PM
You might try to contact the manufacturer and get an OEM driver. After all, it was made for that system. No guesswork involved.

Of course, if they cannot help, then do what you are planning, but know that not just any woofer that bolts in there will be as good. In all probabality, it will degrade the performance of the system unless it is carefully selected. Many parameters need to be figured in to that equation.

pelly3s
12-30-2003, 04:53 PM
before calling the manufacture or anything, what is the make and model of the sub box, and on the sub itself somewhere along the mag most likely is there any numbers or anything. a lot of company's use ViFa, Peerless, or Scan Speak

ziggz
01-05-2004, 03:00 PM
tell me the volume of the box in cubic feet and how long/wide the port(s) are. Tell me that I can find the best 8" for your box.

-Joey

I'm not really sure about the length of the single port but the volume of the box is about 11.5"w x 13"d x 11.5" h. I couldn't really find any good 8 ohm subs, should I just look for a single dual 4 ohm speaker and wire it in series? will that work or should i just forget about replacing the speaker and just get a new sub? I don't want to waste money into a project that may not work.

Thanks

P.S. If anyone has AIM, IM me at ziggz589, will be much easier.

thanks again