BP7001SC system. Prepurchase advice, plz. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : BP7001SC system. Prepurchase advice, plz.

usapple
05-07-2005, 05:18 PM
I am new in the country, building a new (first) home and buying everything new. I have narrowed down my search to the Definitive Technology's BP-7001SC system which has the two towers of the same name, the CLR 3000 and the BPVX for surrounds. This selection is based on the internet reviews only.

I need comments/suggestions on this choice. I want a system that I can keep for the next twenty years.

Paradigm is the most commonly mentioned brand name in any discussion forums. Does that make them the best?

It might be important to mention the other products that I have narrowed down my search to.
Denon 2900 DVD player
Denon 3805 AV receiver
Samsung DLP TV 5688W

Thanks,

Jeff Macemon

thepogue
05-07-2005, 06:08 PM
by when not listen to some speaks FIRST...then choose?

Pogue

usapple
05-07-2005, 07:18 PM
by when not listen to some speaks FIRST...then choose?

Pogue

The question is not silly. Not everyone lives in Chicago. I am in a border town. The nearest dealer is eight hours drive. To plan for that, would delay the purchase too much. If I could listen to them, I wouldn't be asking the prepurchase advice.

Thanks anyway

Jeff

chimera128
05-11-2005, 10:37 PM
Don't pay full price... Get at least 20% off. Tow the speakers in drastically towards you listening position. When you set them up makes sure you have at least the length of the speaker away from the wall (you can do this by taking off the top cap and using that as a guide). If you are going to be in a room that has back walls get 2 bp7006scs instead of the BPVXs. You can probably work a pretty good deal on those. And just because paradigm, b&w, DefTech, Sonus Faber, Magnepan, Wilson are mentioned in a lot of forums doesn't make them the best. How they sound to YOU makes them the best. You should make a trip to the nearest town, even if you have to travel to another state or at least a couple hours =), especially if this is going to be something that you will keep for two decades.

drseid
05-12-2005, 02:07 AM
I agree with the other posters that recommend listening first... I certainly understand your hesitation to drive 4 hours each way to audition speakers... But keep in mind, that this is a major purchase that you plan on sticking with for the next 20 years...

What happens if you don't care for the DT Bi-polar sound? Many like it, as I do for certain types of applications (I own some DT speakers I use in my office at work for full disclosure)... but it is definitely one of those love it or hate it scenarios for most folks.

Like others have also said, frequency of mentions on boards has absolutely nothing to do with performance (good or bad). Paradigm, B&W, Klipsch, Polk and Definitive Tech get a lot of mentions, as they are some of the larger brands... They are all good places to start (and you may end up picking one of them once you have heard many others), but many smaller brands can be found that also could appeal to you...

A small sampling of some quality smaller brands located at Brick and Morter stores are (in no particular order):

Merlin
Sonus Faber
Spendor
Magnapan
Joseph Audio
Gallo Acoustics
Von Schweikert
Consonance/Opera Audio
Legacy Audio

A sampling of some other quality Internet sales direct companies that allow 21-30 day home auditions are (also in no particular order):

Tyler Acoustics
AV123.com (Rockets and Reference)
Selah Audio
Salk Sound
ACI
Ellis Audio
Omega Loudspeakers

So as you can see, there are plenty of options out there, and what I have listed is less that 1% of the available brands (but at least it is a good starting place). I recommend taking your time and let your own ears decide which brand and model works for you within your budget... That is half the fun, IMO. :-)

As for your electronics, the ones you have listed look like they are all good choices... But again, you may find other options that appeal to you more based on your speaker decision...

Good luck,

---Dave