Dynaudio and a/d/s at used bookstore! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dynaudio and a/d/s at used bookstore!

vr6ofpain
05-07-2005, 03:41 PM
So I went into this used bookstore downtown with my girlfriend this afternoon. While she was looking around I noticed they were playing some Duke Ellington. This drew my attention up to the speaker that was playing above me. When I looked at it, I was surprised to see an early 90's(looked similar to a SAT 5 or SAT 6) a/d/s speaker. So I look at the bookshelf behind me and there was a matching speaker. So I was like, nice they have an old pair of a/d/s...maybe I should see if the guy would sell them (thinking he just randomly aquired them)....then as I walk around I realize that there is not just one pair of these a/d/s', but 3 pairs. Now I'm impressed. I end up walking into the next room (it is divided up) to realize that there are two pairs of Audience 52's (they were surely the Audience line, but judging from my visual of them and the dimensions of the 42 and 52, I can assume they were the 52's. In beech! The worst part was that they were all resting on their sides, up high near the ceiling on bookshelves surround by books.

Obviously not idea for any speaker...much less nice speakers such as these. I was thinking about talking to the guy at the front about it, but I knew it would be insulting to inquire about buying speakers at a used bookstore (my girlfriend thought I was being ridiculous, in that I even noticed the speakers). I had to then explain to her that even on ebay, these 5 pairs (2 pairs dynaudio, 3 pairs a/d/s) would easily pull in $2K used.

Pretty slick. Couldn't really judge their sound quality from their poor setup, but they were not bright from my (off axis) listening position! That is a plus for me, since I hate bright speakers. I really need to go audition the Audience 52 at an audio store. Still considering that speaker....though I am more likely to buy this Madisound DIY monitor.

I am aware this is totally random. :cool:

Jimmy C
05-08-2005, 02:03 PM
..."Sub 5 or 6" from A/D/S, but their early speakers (as in early 80s - 90) sounded nice to me. A bit dark, recessed and subdued, and never bright (like you said).

Hell... it's a used bookstore - offer something for the Danes at least... :*) The owner just might take you up on it!

Reminds me of the deli I bought a HORRIBLE chix salad sandwich today... gross. BUT - they had PSBs on a high shelving unit...lol.

Jimmy thinks he is through with delis...

vr6ofpain
05-08-2005, 04:00 PM
I said SAT 5 or 6, not Sub 5 or 6. SAT like satallite speaker. They are sold on ebay occastionally.

Here this guy is selling some grilles for them:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3276&item=5772238950&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://i21.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/c1/56/dd_1_b.JPG

Jimmy C
05-09-2005, 07:54 AM
... I knew what you said.

For a brief period of time, I had the Boston Acoustics Sub/Sat 6 system...

That is ingrained in my brain, hence the confusion.

nightflier
05-09-2005, 10:32 AM
If you buy the Dynaudio's, I'll be curious to find out what you end up paying for them.

P.S. Our coffee place (with a French flair) across the street has six Monitor Audio bookshelves. Someone knew what they were doing. Although, I do know from years of working in the restaurant industry, that the grime & smell of used restaurant speakers may not privide the same value as ones bought from a used book store. You can always clean off dust; but greasy, smokey dust is a whole other matter.

vr6ofpain
05-09-2005, 01:15 PM
I just think that the fact that they have two pairs of matching Audience 52's (both pairs were Beech) means they were probably bought new. The guy must have got them for a purpose....though the setup is so piss poor I am confused. I should at least talk to the dude, see if he is the owner. See if he knows what he even has.