speaker system need for my av receiver! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : speaker system need for my av receiver!

akw
05-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Hi!

I have got a good second hand yamaha av receiver Rx-V440 (6.1 ch) from my uncle. But with no speakers. I would like to setup my home theater system with this receiver for my small room (20'x11 feet). But I am a student so I cannot afford to buy all 5.1 speaker system now.

So I would like to go first with the two speakers for music listening jazz,rocks etc. I saw a pair of athena speaker system in the audio shop and music listening is good with the marantz amplifier. But I have been told that some speakers are not match with some av receiver.
Can I use this athena speaker with my yamaha av receiver?
Please suggest me what speakers should I buy for my av receiver for music listening.

Thanks.
akw

PAT.P
05-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Hi!

I have got a good second hand yamaha av receiver Rx-V440 (6.1 ch) from my uncle. But with no speakers. I would like to setup my home theater system with this receiver for my small room (20'x11 feet). But I am a student so I cannot afford to buy all 5.1 speaker system now.

So I would like to go first with the two speakers for music listening jazz,rocks etc. I saw a pair of athena speaker system in the audio shop and music listening is good with the marantz amplifier. But I have been told that some speakers are not match with some av receiver.
Can I use this athena speaker with my yamaha av receiver?
Please suggest me what speakers should I buy for my av receiver for music listening.

Thanks.
akw
You would have no problem with the Athena on this Yamaha receiver ,it has enought power to handle these speaker and more.Yamaha is the next receiver I'm saving for ,my sony cant handle my speakers at high volume.Pat.P :(

akw
05-07-2005, 08:54 PM
You would have no problem with the Athena on this Yamaha receiver ,it has enought power to handle these speaker and more.Yamaha is the next receiver I'm saving for ,my sony cant handle my speakers at high volume.Pat.P :(

Pat,
Thank you for your quick response.

Someone told me that Yamaha receiver is a bright one and athena speaker is also bright, so it is not good to hookup these two.
Athena speaker I listened in the audio shop is AS-B1 and AS-B2. Both are 2-way bookshelf speakers and can use as front and real speakers.
Do you have any suggestion of any other speakers matching with the yamaha receiver?

akw

Mark111867
05-08-2005, 09:34 AM
I have a pair of Cambridge Soundworks Newton M80's hooked up to a Yamaha two channel receiver and am happy with the combination. I know that these might be out of your price range ($499.99), but Cambridge Soundworks has several options that might work for you. The Model 6 comes to mind for $149.99. The Athena speaker that you are considering is also suppose to be a good "bang for your buck" speaker as well. Good luck.

Eric Z
05-08-2005, 05:23 PM
akw- don't worry if someone says the receiver is bright as well as the athenas. the only time you would need to worry about speakers and a receiver not matching is when your receivers are power hungry and your receiver can't handle it. i noticed that with a big old pair of speakers and my older sony receiver. from what i hear from others, the athenas are a great speaker at the price!

before you buy the speakers, make sure you clearly understand the store's return policy- this way if you don't like how the speakers sound, you can return them- i needed to do this with a couple speakers- i liked how they sounded in the showroom, but didn't like them at home.

good luck and enjoy!

akw
05-09-2005, 01:04 AM
Eric, Thank you for your advise.
You mean "speakers are power hungry and your receiver can't handle it". m I right?
I am a newbie so I have no idea why speakers are power hungry?

right now, I will stick with Athenas as they are the great speaker and it is in my budget range. I heard about the Paradigm. At the same level are they better than Athenas?
At the same audio shop they have the MORDAUNT SHORT bookshelf speaker and their price is cheaper than Athena. But I haven't got a chance to listen it at that time.Any suggestion?

I would also like to know what speakers are "warm" and what are "bright".

akw

akw- don't worry if someone says the receiver is bright as well as the athenas. the only time you would need to worry about speakers and a receiver not matching is when your receivers are power hungry and your receiver can't handle it. i noticed that with a big old pair of speakers and my older sony receiver. from what i hear from others, the athenas are a great speaker at the price!

before you buy the speakers, make sure you clearly understand the store's return policy- this way if you don't like how the speakers sound, you can return them- i needed to do this with a couple speakers- i liked how they sounded in the showroom, but didn't like them at home.

good luck and enjoy!