Speaker cable advise [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker cable advise

jwh
12-29-2003, 05:06 PM
Moving up to sonus faber cremona auditors for fronts and solo home for center. I have been using audioquest gr 8, however, they are biwired and I now need single terminals. I am looking to either purchase three cables of the new cr 6 with battery pack vs. a nordost trio. I have heard great things about the new audioquest line but know that the nordost is a great cable as well. Any advice about the two lines? Any suggestions of other audioquests? Which nordost do you prefer?

Thanks

JWH

bturk667
12-29-2003, 08:00 PM
I'd have to say that I am biased towards them. I use the Nordost Super Flat Line cable, a very good cable for the money. Based on the price point of the Audio Quest CV-6 with DBS (@ $300/6ft pair), you would be looking at the Nordost Solar Wind(@ $320 2M pair) either way both are good cables. The best way to find out which cable best suites your ears would be to, quite obviously, give them a home demo. This really would be the best and most telling way to find out.

I have a feeling that the Solar Wind would be a great match with your Sonus Faber's. I found that the Sonus Faber's that I've heard to have a sound that is both soft and sweet. I belive the added crispness and somewhat bright characteristic of the Solar Wind would be a good match. This of course is just a guess, since I do not know what other components comprise the rest of your sustem. Either way try for a home demo.

Good luck!

mtrycraft
12-29-2003, 11:17 PM
Moving up to sonus faber cremona auditors for fronts and solo home for center. I have been using audioquest gr 8, however, they are biwired and I now need single terminals. I am looking to either purchase three cables of the new cr 6 with battery pack vs. a nordost trio. I have heard great things about the new audioquest line but know that the nordost is a great cable as well. Any advice about the two lines? Any suggestions of other audioquests? Which nordost do you prefer?

Thanks

JWH

If you already have enough cables, use them. The evidence is just not there to support cables beyond basic 12ga-16ga stuff. Rather simple.
That battery is just a total marketing gimmick. You will feel better donating to your favorite charity that will do some good.

Tubes Forever
01-24-2005, 12:23 AM

Thanks

JWH

Good choice of speakers. They really make beautiful music. I would purchase a single Cremona Auditor for your center channel. It is a perfect fit for your Cremona's and it sounds amazing.

Bill Low of Audioquest came by the audio store where I worked last year and we played with three of his new "battery" cables on our Cremona speakers. I can tell you that the bass was substantially better with the copper cable, and the midrange was substantially better with the silver cable. So how is your room, bass heavy or bass challenged?

If money is a big deal, go with the best quality copper battery cable Audioquest makes. If money is not a big deal, then go with the silver Audioquest wire. I have nothing against other brands, but I really like Audioquest cables alot. They have a very accurate and balanced presentation that most other cables lack. I have listened to cables that cost 10-20k, and most have such complex networks that they make the music sound like it died.

Not so with Audioquest. That is my humble opinion. I have played music since I was 4 years old, and I know what real music sounds like.

I will tell you flat out that you have to listen and compare. Different speakers sound better with copper, others with silver cables. Depending on your amplifier, you may find that silver interconnects and copper speaker wire work best. You just have to play until you find that magic combination. Congratulations on your Cremona purchase. These speakers are flat out awesome. I think my perfect system would be 7 Cremona Auditors in a 7.1 configuration. Though I love stereo, I also enjoy home theater.