about how many albums do you own? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : about how many albums do you own?

newtrix1
05-06-2005, 04:51 PM
I got a PM from someone who suggested that they might have a problem locating a specific cd. Not sure if this a quantity issue or an organization issue :) . Anyhow, people I work with think I have such a huge music collection, but I'm guessing that I'm on the low end of the spectrum as far as the "typical" RR geeks music collection goes.
last time I counted (about a year ago) I still had not eclpised the 1,000 mark. Am I an amateur geek?

unleasHell
05-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Albums, such as in LP's about 1500+ and they are ALL for Sale!

CD's also about 1500 and growing..

what CD is he looking for?

JDaniel
05-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Albums, such as in LP's about 1500+ and they are ALL for Sale!

We need to talk. I'm always buying LPs.

I have about 700 cds, 500 lps, and a couple of boxes of cassettes that haven't seen the light of day in a long time. But all mine are organized. Just ask Mike.

JD

DarrenH
05-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Pop/Rock/Prog - 1282

Jazz - 193

New Age/Classical/Country/Other - 75

That includes my 185 copies of Aqualung. :D

Demetrio
05-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Hey, folks, long time without posting here. So busy at work these days...

I have a friend here in my city who owns 5.000 CD's!!! That's a huge amount of discs indeed, and I wish I had that much already. But wait, I know someone who owns 12.000 titles!!! (CDs, LPs & DVDs). Yes, I also think he's pretty crazy...

I have about 2.500 CDs today, and my wish list doesn't stop growing. My wife doesn't like this anyway :-))

I'm always glad to be back here onde in a while, and hope to find some free time next days to post some mini-reviews of 6 or 7 great DVD's I got lately.

Best prog wishes,
Demetrio.

ForeverAutumn
05-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Great to hear from you Demetrio. We miss you!!! Come by more often. :)

I figure that I'm at around the 600 mark on CDs. That's store bought CDs. Probably another 75 or so if I count CDRs and comps. A pretty weak collection compared to most of you, I know. I'm up around the 2 dozen mark on music DVDs. Both collections are growing rapidly.

-Jar-
05-06-2005, 07:13 PM
CD's - about 1000 I think

LP's - about 300 I think

Rough guesses ?

-jar

Monkey Bones
05-06-2005, 09:20 PM
Probably about a hundred and fifty CDs and maybe 100 vinyls. Most of them are kind of old and beat up. I haven't really been excited enough with any new music to actually buy a CD in a long time. Any suggestions?

3-LockBox
05-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Holy crap! I think I have about 350 CDs. (period) Yikes, I'm a rank ameteur. Of course, I'm only counting the titles I've actually purchased. If I counted the ones I've received via CD-R, then number goes up substantially, but still, no where near your neighborhood.

How's tricks 'D'? I miss your input. I still listen to your comps (really).

Do you have the new Porcupine Tree?

MindGoneHaywire
05-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Last I looked it was somewhere around 1500, and the percentages probably aren't that far off from the way Darren broke down his numbers. But prog & new age doesn't figure all that much into my collection.

In the past year, though, I've accumulated a lot, only some of which I've manage to make note of. And I have an awful lot of albums in MP3 form only. If you add it all up it's got to be somewhere around 2000. I feel like it's become a bit unwieldy, especially because I think I've come into several hundred in the past year alone, probably close to 300 in the past 3 years or so. And in there's a bunch of stuff I haven't even listened to (making it ludicrous to add to the tally) to go along with a bunch of stuff I haven't listened to more than once. Seems a bit silly to consider them part of my collection, but there they are. And there are quite a few that I'll hang onto the MP3s of merely for reference. When you're getting into discussions that border on arguments about different genres of music, it's helpful & instructive to actually be able to listen to something you wouldn't exactly place in heavy rotation to add perspective. And every once in awhile something I'd think I'm keeping only for that reason ends up being something I actually like to some degree, such as the Ashlee Simpson album. Then again, I expected to like the Mars Volta more than I did. But that one certainly deserves another listen.

Then there's the comps I've gotten from people on this board. Hey Finch, I actually got to listen to one of the ones you sent last week! More to follow on that...

When you go to someone's place & they've literally got tens of thousands of albums, it makes one feel a bit better, though...until you start wanting to have a collection that extensive...at which point you want to just leave. See ya.

shokhead
05-07-2005, 04:16 AM
You guys with more then 1K of CD's. How many of those do you have that theres less then half the songs on a cd you like?

newtrix1
05-07-2005, 06:25 AM
Any suggestions?

Yeah, go check out this format called "8 track"...it's the next big tech craze, you'll love it Bones!

Hyfi
05-07-2005, 06:52 AM
I have close to 1K but that includes the many comps you all sent me. Years ago I sold or gave away about 300 albums. I still have about 250 cassettes both pre-recorded and recordings of many of the albums I no longer have.

On the other hand, I have a hard drive that a friend put 80 Gigs of MP3s. He ripped in my whole rock collection along with his whole collection and an ungodly amount of downloaded music from every genre form Books, to Military, to TV theme and commercials as well as a bunch of rare concerts and the entire Pink Floyd catolog...or damn close.

I'm not a big MP3 fan nor do I listen to alot of music while on the PC...(usually studying for school or certs). I'd be glad to share any of this with those who are into MP3s. I do have an excel spread sheet with most of it listed.

Hopefully when I finally land a decent job, I can buy some new disks and get back in the race.

Hyfi

shokhead
05-07-2005, 07:58 AM
Yeah, go check out this format called "8 track"...it's the next big tech craze, you'll love it Bones!

I'm a 4-track guy. Those big,chrome open face 30 pounders were great.

Troy
05-07-2005, 07:58 AM
5000 lps, 1500 CDs and a shoulder high stack of 45s.

I can find any CD in seconds- they are all alphabetized and chronological by artist.

The vinyl, another story altogether . . .

Shokhead- I own lots of CDs that have only a few songs I like. Pretty common with a lot of us, I'm sure. What's the problem with that?

Mr Peabody
05-07-2005, 10:13 AM
I have about 500 or so LP's and about 1,000 cd's. I did have 200 or so cassettes that were mostly recorded but I sold them in a package deal with my cassette deck

Stone
05-07-2005, 11:49 AM
Roughly:

CDs - 2500
LPs/12" Singles - 800
Cassettes - 500

These do include some CD-Rs of full length albums and cassette copies of full length albums.

Swish
05-07-2005, 12:56 PM
I would guess less than 50 LPs but about 1800 or so cds, not including a host of comps send by you psychopaths on Rave Recs. I prolly had more than 300 LPs at one time, not too many compared to some of you, but I sold or gave them away to friends. I have plenty of cds I could get rid of and would never miss, but I don't have the time or energy to start pulling them out, and I don't need the money, so what's the point? I also have some that I can only stand a few tracks or so, but that's the way it goes. If I had to guess how many I would never part with, it would prolly be less than 1 in every 15 or 20 I suppose. Maybe I should take the time to clean out my cases? Nah, not until I move again, and that could be a year or two.

Happy Mother's Day to all you "mothers" on the board,
Swish

Jim Clark
05-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Guestimating as well since I fell off the wagon when it came to trying to keep track via spread sheet although I'd like to pick it up again.

Comps from here - 600 easily based on full binders 'course a lot of those are mine that were never officially released, still, the binders are stuffed.
Bootleg CD's-275 - again, easily
LP's-only about 100 remain
45's - hundred or so
Cassettes - another hundred remain
CD's of albums including "previews", library, freebies - 1500 and I still haven't grabbed the new New Order not to mention the Spoon that shows up on Tuesday!!!

Storage for the boots is an ever increasing problem but with the coolest new additions I just can't stop. Postal Service, Arcade Fire White Session (France), Ultravox ('79 with John Fox!), and the cool titles just flowing in like a river ready to bust out at the seams. I'm looking for more under the bed storage but I can't find any more boxes that I like.

jc

JoeE SP9
05-07-2005, 04:30 PM
About 2500 everything included. Approx 800 CD's and 100 cassettes. The rest consisting of LP's and 12" Singles. I've never had any desire to collect 45's . Everything is in alphabetical order and entered into a database I wrote using MS Access. I have to use a database as it is sometimes hard to remember where a specific song is located. Most especially when I've had too many Chimay's. I don't have things subdivided into genres as some do. I've never divided my listening that way. In one session I'm apt to play anything from Patsy Kline to Rufus Harley using Spooky Tooth as a segue. Yes, I also have an awful lot of recordings where sometimes 2 or even 1 selection is the only thing worth listening to. Newer material seems to have more of a problem with that. I am still actively buying vinyl and there is less of the one listenable selection syndrome with it.

newtrix1
05-07-2005, 08:41 PM
5000 lps, 1500 CDs and a shoulder high stack of 45s.

Is that a typo?? Wonder how much 5,000 Lp's weighs? :eek:

Dusty Chalk
05-07-2005, 08:54 PM
I lost count somewhere around 5000. I went through an insane period, where I pretty much bought anything I wanted.

And that's just CD's. I think I was right around the 2000 mark with 12" vinyl "records".

They have these things called "grooves" on them, which are actual mechanical representations of the analog signal, and there's this convoluted scheme for getting that information back off...
I got a PM from someone who suggested that they might have a problem locating a specific cd. Not sure if this a quantity issue or an organization issue :)What a dork! That wouldn't be Frost's Melodica, would it? Because I know right where my copy is...no, wait, no I don't. I don't know where anything is, except what I just finished listening to...meh.

newtrix1
05-08-2005, 09:52 AM
What a dork! That wouldn't be Frost's Melodica, would it?

nah, who would want a copy of that? ;)

5,000...that is pretty close to insane dude. :)

Javier
05-08-2005, 11:42 AM
i own around 750 cd,s ( with some sacds and dvd audio in there.)
still keep some 60 LP's
20 DVD concerts.

Mi collection is a mess haven't had the time to arrange it since my last moving but someday

Dusty Chalk
05-08-2005, 01:32 PM
5,000...that is pretty close to insane dude. :)Yeah, but which side of insane. I think that's the far side of insane...

Two points: 5,000 was several years ago; the insane period was mostly after that.

Duds
05-09-2005, 03:58 AM
I am pushing the 3000 mark for cds. it's really out of hand!!!

I got a PM from someone who suggested that they might have a problem locating a specific cd. Not sure if this a quantity issue or an organization issue :) . Anyhow, people I work with think I have such a huge music collection, but I'm guessing that I'm on the low end of the spectrum as far as the "typical" RR geeks music collection goes.
last time I counted (about a year ago) I still had not eclpised the 1,000 mark. Am I an amateur geek?

BinFrog
05-09-2005, 05:08 AM
Not counting the tapes I had growing up:

I think I have around 1200 CDs, maybe 50-60 SACD and DVD-A discs, and a few dozen vinyl albums. I have a ton of bootlegs (mostly Pearl Jam, Phish, Pink Floyd and Rush) on CDR.

Mr MidFi
05-09-2005, 06:06 AM
My equally expensive interest in international travel has helped to keep my disc-buying expenses in check. I think I have about 500-600 regular CDs, about 75 comps I've made myself, about 150-ish comps that others have sent me, about 150 cassettes, two milk-crates of vinyl I haven't played in a decade, about 30 concert DVDs, and around 120 downloaded MP3 songs.

And my iPod is currently holding about 2300 songs, and growing every day.

NP: The Dandy Warhols, Thirteen Tales from Urban Bohemia

jack70
05-09-2005, 09:27 AM
I have to say that I'm kinda stunned (so far) from this thread. I thought my own music collection would be way below the average here, if only because the people here are such enthusiastic music fans, and generally pretty serious about sound (hi-fi etc). Heck, in my own circle of (local) friends, I see myself as a relative piker, so I expected to be an even smaller minority here, when it comes to albums (er, the amount of crap I've accumilated). I expected more to have lists like Troy's.

I bought a fairly small number of 45's during the mid 60's when I got started listening to music. Nothing extravagant, as I was only a 12+ yr old kid (although I had a paper route, which allowed me a little more "freedom" than my friends at the time). I got some rarer 45's at the end of the decade, when UK import 45's became possible to get (rare cuts always). 45's kinda died out around 71, except for the occasional import obscurity. In the mid/late 70's I started getting 45's again when the indie & punk movements re-invigorated R&R. Lots of 45/EPs with hand-printed artwork off small Ltd-press issues, often made in garages etc... it was (complete home production of a music product) a premonition of the digital revolution, still a decade or so down the road. 45's from new bands like REM & Devo... Alley Cats, Black Flag, Pere Ubu, X-Ray Spex... all before any signed national contracts, but most bands ya never heard of (nor had I). But my 45's number only a little over 1K. That's mere chump change compared to others I know who have 20K+ 45 collections.

For CD's, I'm getting near 5K, but since I've cut back new stuff of late, that might take a while longer to reach than it appeared a few years ago. But I'm a binge buyer, so who knows. I just wish I could get full value returns for 30+% of those... CD's that'll never get played again. That's what happens when you buy stuff sight-unheard, which is the true sign of any obsessed collector. For LPs, I stopped counting in the late 70's when it was around the 10K mark. It wasn't too long after that I started getting CDs instead, although I was very late to fully embrace that new technology & get a player. In retrospect, the early high prices, especially of import CD's, which was the only way (Japan & Ger) to get ANY music that was NOT a pop/big seller artist, still reminds me today it was a bit of an "overpriced" technology. (but that's the subject for another thread).

I've kept the habit of writing each new 45/LP/CD down in a series of notebooks... a chronological list. I started doing that when my LPs got to around the 100 mark back in the old days... a number that seemed VERY big at the time, LOL. But there's no way I could ever transfer such info to a digital form without spending literally months & months of 8-hr days typing in the data... as much as it might be cool to have. Time-cost benefit is WAY against even considering that. Life is too short.

I consider my collection rather average sizewise.... even though I always get a kick out of "normals" (a Bonzo reference) seeing some of my overflow upstairs... staring agape, and not knowing how to react (is this way cool... or way weird?). But if I'd lived in a city instead of out in the boondocks, I'd probably have 3-4 times that amount, simply from my few experiences delving through certain museum-like stores (you only find) in such areas of big populations. I'd also have a much bigger collection if I'd spent any considerable time (gaining seniority) at radio stations, something I did only for a brief semester my freshman year... it just took too much time away from studies. I have all of 1 or 2 LPs from that experience. If I'd had the ego to aspire to become a station manager or something, I can easily imagine an alternative future where I'd need another house just for such "bonus" aquisitions. I'm actually glad I don't, as life is messy enough... LOL. What did George Carlin say... "home is where you leave all your stuff (crap?)... while you go out & get even more crap".

One reason my own collection is a bit more valuable (than some) is because it's (mostly) in such good condition. Most albums are like new, and sleeved as such. I never cease to be shocked at just how cavalier most people treat their LPs & CDs. And I'm hardly any warped Felix Unger type. As for rarities... a mixed bag. Of course, a lot of that always depends on one's taste & wants. I also have a few hundred cassettes, a few dozen reel-to-reels, and even a few 8-tracks left from when I worked a summer job fixing them. (never had a car player myself though).

Monkey Bones
05-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I had one of those new fangled 8-track recorder thingies when I was just a little monkey. That's the sota guy I am (get it? sota instead of sorta? state of the art? funny, eh? heehee :)).

But if ya wanna more serious answer, I've got about 1000 CDs and about 1200 LPs that I call my own, although most of my CDs are in storage and all my LPs are boxed up. So I really only have about 50 or 60 CDs. So I have the smallest collection of all you insane music geeks!

Slosh
05-09-2005, 12:36 PM
My best guess is $20,000 worth. You do the math ;)

newtrix1
05-09-2005, 01:25 PM
So I really only have about 50 or 60 CDs. So I have the smallest collection of all you insane music geeks!

Yes, you do seem to have the smallest one so far, but size isn't everything, right? ;)

Monkey Bones
05-09-2005, 02:03 PM
Yes, you do seem to have the smallest one so far, but size isn't everything, right? ;)
That's right, I'm confident my collection is of the highest quality. We were talking about bananas, right? Sometimes I have a hard time following your detours in logic.

Don't you feel guilty engaging in such childish banter with me after reading those historical novellas that Brad and Jay and Jack write? Yeah, me neither......embarrassed but not guilty.....

http://audiokarma.org/forums/images/smilies/banana.gif

newtrix1
05-09-2005, 05:08 PM
That's right, I'm confident my collection is of the highest quality. We were talking about bananas, right? Sometimes I have a hard time following your detours in logic.

Don't you feel guilty engaging in such childish banter with me after reading those historical novellas that Brad and Jay and Jack write? Yeah, me neither......embarrassed but not guilty.....

http://audiokarma.org/forums/images/smilies/banana.gif

I spun some Journey on my drive home tonight. You got any of their stuff in those 50-60 albums?

P.S. your banana's small too (but quite active).

Dave_G
05-09-2005, 05:39 PM
I have about 1200 real cd's and about 400 cdr's.

But my collection is pristine and is loaded with MFSL and imports. Keepa ya hands away.

I used to have 2000 + lp's but now have maybe 200. Sold 'em. Or threw 'em away. Yup. Threw away a LOT of vinyl. I had so much crap from working in 2 different record stores that it was ridiculous.

Cassettes? 1. A tape my mom and dad made, their history.

I do want a few MFSL cassettes tho for the hell of it as I have a high dollar cassette deck.

I love collecting music, tho, like most of you.

I just got off of ebay:

Camel - The Single Factor
Camel - Rain Dances
Camel - Stationary Traveller
(cool old DERAM cd's from Germany)

Kino

Went to the used store the other day, got the new Cure on lp (2 lp's, sealed. 14 bucks),

I'm in the market for cool oop stuff. Need a copy of Wall of Voodoo "Dark Continent" cd.

Not a copy, but the real thang.

Dave

KEXPMF
05-09-2005, 09:56 PM
probably 1500-2000 cds.

also, lots of vinyl including a huge 45 collection but I haven't seen it in many, many years sadly and can't even remember what's there. When I find it... ebay here I come!

Someday... I plan to start collecting vinyl again.

BradH
05-10-2005, 06:38 AM
At last count:

350 lps
460 cds
180 comps from you guys
280 bootleg cdr's

The boots will eventually overwhelm everything.

I've got a foot high stack of slimlines on my computer desk but I'm pretty sure it's all backup shn and flac files on data discs.