Anyone here into Mars Volta or RPWL? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here into Mars Volta or RPWL?

3-LockBox
05-06-2005, 09:50 AM
I have read quite a bit of buzz regarding these two bands and they're referenced everytime I look up PT over at amazon.com

BarryL
05-06-2005, 12:36 PM
I have read quite a bit of buzz regarding these two bands and they're referenced everytime I look up PT over at amazon.com

RPWL was a German Pink Floyd knock-off. I have their second and third albums, Try to Kiss The Sun and Stock. Both are very interesting and relatively good prog, with decent english vocals. Good combination of accoustic and electric, very upbeat and positive for the most part.

Stock is a little bit strange because it appears to be out-takes from an attempt to create something like The Wall. It's not a concept album, but you can tell that it would have been if they were able to pull it off. There's some good material on it, but it's a bit disjointed.

My advice is to try Try To Kiss The Sun. I think you'll like it. It takes a few spins to get into it, but its a pretty good album. Lots of soaring melodies and major key positive vibes.

BarryL
05-06-2005, 12:39 PM
I don't really see a PT/RPWL connection at all. People who like one may also like the other, but the musical styles are not similar IMO. PT's darkness is completely missing on RPWL. RPWL is more like Four Chords That Made A Million than She's Moved On.

Troy
05-06-2005, 01:08 PM
RPWL, I have the same 2 as Barry. I like them a lot. I think I prefer Stock. Picked up the brand new one called "World Through My Eyes" the other day, seems like more of the same. Yeah, they got their start as a Pink Floyd cover band and branched out into performing their own material. Still has a real PF feel, especially the singer who sounds just like David Gilmour. Yeah, not as dark and heavy as Porcupine Tree.

The Mars Volta, I had the first album "Deloused", didn't care for it. It felt like a jumbled mess to me. Reminded me of bits of early 70s Santana and Rush and Led Zep crossed with Bends era Radiohead. It's just a big noisy mess IMO. Seems to appeal mostly to younger listeners that didn't already hear all those bands. I understand the second album "Francis the Mute" is just more of the same.

These 2 bands are vastly different from each other. Yet I can kinda see the connection to different facets of Porcupine Tree.

Dusty Chalk
05-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Mars Volta are fan-fogging-tastic. I love 'em. Hard-rockin', psychedelic, ambient, hard-rockin' again.

I actually agree with Troy's description, yet I consider "big noisy mess" a good thing.

3-LockBox
05-06-2005, 09:12 PM
cuz without this board I wouldn't have any music preferences, opinions or lifestyle for that matter.

Did I just say that out loud?

No...I typed it.

mmmmm....beeeer

thanx again.

audiobill
05-12-2005, 03:05 PM
cuz without this board I wouldn't have any music preferences, opinions or lifestyle for that matter.

Did I just say that out loud?

No...I typed it.

mmmmm....beeeer

thanx again.

Hey, 3Lock!!

I've been away from the board the last couple of weeks, so I'm catching up on RR threads.

Mars Volta's latest is very good imho. Indeed, it plays more like Pink Floyd than their first one does. In fact, I've been listening intently over the past month and I, must say, prefer it better than their first -- having said that, I think most of their fans prefer the cacaphonous sounds of the Comatorium (their first).

If you happen to subscribe to davey's CRS vol.10, there should be a cut waiting for you to hear.