Porcupine Tree: Deadwing / a pretentious review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Porcupine Tree: Deadwing / a pretentious review

3-LockBox
05-06-2005, 08:58 AM
Just spent the last couple of days with this one (from amazon.com), and I must admit, its not a lot different from the last one, but it isn't a remake either (can't ever accuse Wilson of making the same album over). Yes, it does have some similarities to older <b>PT</b> albums (soaring vocal harmonies, keyboard flourishes), but the first two songs on this CeeDee are the most commercial sounding tunes they've laid down since <u>Stupid Dream</u>. Being a seasoned <b>PT</b> fan, I know better than to think I'm going to hear anything that jumps out at me upon first listen (except that <i>Open Car</i> does just that). I listened through at least three times so far, and I think its a keeper. Songs like <i>Halo</i> and <i>Lazarus</i> are remeniscent of <u>In Absentia</u>, while tracks like <i>Mellotron Scratch</i>, <i>Arriving Somewhere</i>, and <i>Glass Arm Shattering</i> are very remeniscent of <u>Lightbulb Sun</u>.

I gotta tellya, if the last two <b>PT</b> albums (<u>In absentia</u>, <u>Lightbulb Sun</u>) didn't make any converts, then I doubt this one will further their cause any. I guess in a way I'm not sad about the <b>PT</b> not becoming superstars. That way, they'll stay pissed-off and keep pushing the envelope. I just hope that Wilson's side projects don't start diluting his main gig.

Wow, what a run this band has had. Not a duff album in 12 years!
I'd have no problem recommending this album to any <b>PT</b> fan.

Anyone hear or have PT's latest live album (can't think of the name at the moment)

progfan
05-06-2005, 09:31 AM
They may not be superstars but Deadwing is the first PT album to chart in the Billboard Top 200!! It's going in at #132, according to the PT website.

Troy
05-06-2005, 01:13 PM
I gotta tellya, if the last two <b>PT</b> albums (<u>In absentia</u>, <u>Lightbulb Sun</u>) didn't make any converts, then I doubt this one will further their cause any. I guess in a way I'm not sad about the <b>PT</b> not becoming superstars. That way, they'll stay pissed-off and keep pushing the envelope. I just hope that Wilson's side projects don't start diluting his main gig.

I think it's not making converts at this point, it's about building a fanbase. Getting heard. I think they have a formula that has a lot of potential appeal, they just need to get on the radio, generate some buzz. Imagine this band on SNL.

You know, I just don't like his side projects nearly as much as the PT stuff.

DarrenH
05-06-2005, 03:04 PM
I've heard this probably a dozen times now and I gotta tell ya, this becoming an effin' great album. It's really starting to gel with me.

In Absentia took a little while too.

kexodusc
05-06-2005, 05:10 PM
I can't really compare Deadwing to any other album...it seems like a small step forward musically. It's a pretty solid release anyway you slice it.

unleasHell
05-06-2005, 05:12 PM
I listened to it once, and while the musician ship is up to their normal greatness, I tire of prog-metal, the first four songs pretty muched sucked, but from No. 5 on, it really kept my interest.

After having my ears seriously assualted seeing them play In Abstencia, I was hoping for a trip back to the long drawn out spacey stuff, but no they are morfing into Black Sabbath..

On a bright note, I am very happy that I picked up one of their limited edition and numbered, "Recordings" CD and never opened it, I see sealed ones are going for $70+!!!!!!

3-LockBox
05-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Imagine this band on SNL.

I don't think SNL would have the guts or vision to put an act like PT on the air.

You know, I just don't like his side projects nearly as much as the PT stuff.

Me either. Oh, they're nice for tiding me over twix PT releases, but they're a tad to watered down for me. Actually, I made myself a comp of 'Wilson' using Blackfield, some PT, and a few tracks off of Opeth's Damnation CD (Wilson produced) and the Blackfield tracks seem to come across better this way. Of course, YMMV.

MasterCylinder
05-09-2005, 08:43 AM
"After having my ears seriously assualted seeing them play In Abstencia, I was hoping for a trip back to the long drawn out spacey stuff, but no they are morfing into Black Sabbath."

Morfing into Black Sabbath ? I could not disagree more.

I totally respect your opinion but, I'm hoping this is a bad example of an exagerration to make a point.

Dave_G
05-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Well for me I have listened to this cd about 5 times and it hasn't really hit me yet or knocked me out but sometimes it takes 15 listens. But I do like it.

Dave

BarryL
05-10-2005, 07:32 AM
Wow, what a run this band has had. Not a duff album in 12 years!
I'd have no problem recommending this album to any <b>PT</b> fan.

I've been spinning Deadwing for a few days now at work, so the volume is subdued, but I'm liking it a lot. The problem with any band is that you become immune to their sound after a few albums, so it's hard to judge what someone who is hearing them for the first time will think.

The other problem this band has will be recognized by anyone who has seen them live. Wilson is such an outstanding presence live, and the band is so tight, that it is hard to compare the perfectionism of an album with the power of live PT. It is live performances that is going to continue to gain converts to this band. Wilson needs to get himself into some large festivals, even though I know he may not stand a chance in such a venue. But it's worth a try.

Given the pre-release publicity and the power of the internet, this could become a huge underground hit album, but us 40-somethings will never know it unless we're tuned in to alternative media and chat boards.

I know that HMV in Toronto had about five racks of Deadwing upfront in the new release section, right next to Blue Rodeo and Ben Folds. A band like PT couldn't ask for more than that! I'm not sure how the alternative radio stations and college stations are going to avoid playing PT.

kingdaddykeith
05-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Well, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this is the best album in at least a decade. I have listened to it at least 20 times now and it just keeps getting better. The bass line in Start of Something Beautiful has got a real good hook, sounds wonderful on my home system, in fact all the songs do. I must admit I had to look up what a Melotron was though, not used to British terminology. The last disc I like this much was Collective Soul's Dosage, but I think this will replace it as my all time favorite album for now.

BarryL
05-10-2005, 12:04 PM
I must admit I had to look up what a Melotron was though, not used to British terminology.

LOL! I guess you're under 35 years old and not familiar with what was once leading edge technology. The mellotron allowed bands to imitate orchestral sounds with a keyboard for about 18 seconds at a time, and was very controversial because it was thought that it would put real orchestral musicians out of work.

I remember when my daughter asked me why they call it "dialing" the phone. I had to show her an old phone with a rotary dial.

Kaboom
05-10-2005, 04:13 PM
Actually i think blackfield is quite nice. Sure it aint Deadwing, Stupid Dream, The Sky Moves Sideways or On the sunday of life. But it does have sth. i quite enjoy it

Grblgrbl
05-20-2005, 05:38 AM
Well, I love this album, and I have everything they've ever done. I have to say that every PT album I've ever listened to has grabbed me right away - on first listen - and this is no exception. I like this better than In Absentia, I just think that it's a little more consistent, and maybe as much as Lightbulb Sun, which is my all-time PT favorite.

Mr MidFi
05-20-2005, 07:15 AM
Now that I've spun it 5 times, I have an official opinion. It's a 3-1/2 star album. Very good. A keeper. And the longer tracks are, generally, better than the shorter ones.

Beyond that, well...writing about music can be like "dancing about architecture." 'Nuff said.