Anybody know of good stand-mount speakers ???? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know of good stand-mount speakers ????

Ross_uk
05-06-2005, 08:12 AM
Hi,

I have been looking in to buying some good quality stand-mount speakers, Only problem is thay have to compete / sound better than my current floorstanders !!!!

Due to a change of home I am having to get rid of my beloved KEF Reference 4's, any body who has heard these speakers knows just what thay can do !

So my dilema !

I really love my music, from classic to rock and more........The kef's are superb but are a little too big from my room which is 5m x 4.5m (approx), also thay have abit too much low down grunt for the near by house's !!!!! So does any body know of a good set of stand mounters that will compete with the kef's (not bass I know)....

Any suggests would very handy, Thanks for looking....

Ross

Duds
05-06-2005, 08:35 AM
The Von Schweikert VR-1's will be recommended. I've been on the standmount hunt for a while, and the recommendations and reviews of this speaker were enough to convince me to order a pair very soon.

QUOTE=Ross_uk]Hi,

I have been looking in to buying some good quality stand-mount speakers, Only problem is thay have to compete / sound better than my current floorstanders !!!!

Due to a change of home I am having to get rid of my beloved KEF Reference 4's, any body who has heard these speakers knows just what thay can do !

So my dilema !

I really love my music, from classic to rock and more........The kef's are superb but are a little too big from my room which is 5m x 4.5m (approx), also thay have abit too much low down grunt for the near by house's !!!!! So does any body know of a good set of stand mounters that will compete with the kef's (not bass I know)....

Ross[/QUOTE]

drseid
05-06-2005, 09:39 AM
Hi,

So my dilema !

Ross
I am sure we could name a number of highly qualified monitors, but it would be helpful if you provided a budget... Is price no object?

---Dave

RGA
05-06-2005, 06:38 PM
Hi,

So my dilema !

Ross

You're in the UK?

Audio Note AN J or E are both formidable standmounts. Both like medium or large rooms. The J will complete with the majority of floorstanders for bass. Hi-Fi Choice noted the bass response so much that they had to pull the speaker from the standmount group tests because the speaker had so much more bass than the rest that it was unfair -- they tested them against floorstanders around the same money and STILL noted the bass advantage. 25hz. The E's usable bass was measured to 12hz. -- you can test it out with an SPL meter yourself befroe you buy -- don't take some forumer's word for it. The speakers are NOT cheap --- you do pay for this. http://www.dagogo.com/AudioNoteAN-E-D.html

http://www.triodeandco.com/

You won't miss the Kef's at all in my opinion.

Pat D
05-07-2005, 06:32 AM
Hi,

So my dilema !

Ross
You seem to have two main issues: 1) Aesthetics and 2) Sound Quality.

You mention that the Kef 4s are too big for the room, which I take to be an aesthetic issue. If the looks are not really a problem, you could roll off the bass with an equalizer and actually keep the deep bass response but at a lower level.

There are quite a number of standmounts in the running. I haven't heard them all by any means. My PSB Stratus Minis are awfully good and are good in the near field as well but probably don't sound like your Kefs. Many other small speakers are very good, too. I liked the B & W 705, too, which is very smooth but has a somewhat brighter balance and less bass. More expensive are the Paradigm Reference Signature Series speakers, of which I have heard the S2 and the big S8. The S2 or perhaps the S4 might be a contenders. I haven't heard the new PSB Platinum Series speakers but would like to. But Kef, Dynaudio, and others make some good speakers. Try some out and see how the ones you like best work at home..

Peter Duminy
05-07-2005, 09:08 AM
You're in the UK?

http://www.dagogo.com/AudioNoteAN-E-D.html

http://www.triodeandco.com/

I just realized the Audio Note's HQ is only 3 roads up from where I lived in Hove Sussex, when I was working at B&W's Factory in Worthing (next seaside town along). Small world! :)

kexodusc
05-07-2005, 09:26 AM
Totem Rainmaker for small speakers with huge sound...they aren't the best suggested so far, but they are among the better values, are small, high quality, look excellent and sound fantastic.

Geoffcin
05-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Totem Rainmaker for small speakers with huge sound...they aren't the best suggested so far, but they are among the better values, are small, high quality, look excellent and sound fantastic.

The Totem Mani-2 would do the trick nicely too.

RGA
05-07-2005, 12:48 PM
I just realized the Audio Note's HQ is only 3 roads up from where I lived in Hove Sussex, when I was working at B&W's Factory in Worthing (next seaside town along). Small world! :)

Man you should go... When i was at Soundhounds I ran into fellows one an audio designer and the other quite the DIYer. The former makes mods to turntables and arms named Lou Reda the other owns the little AX Two standmount. This guy is flying all the way to the UK for the specific purpose of going to the Audio Note plant to meet Peter Q and figure out what his speakers are doing. They've reverse engineered them and don't get the results.

You should listen and compare them to the one of the new D 800 series B&W's. Why did you leave B&W?

kexodusc
05-07-2005, 01:40 PM
The Totem Mani-2 would do the trick nicely too.
This is true...I don't think Totem makes a bad bookshelf, all depends on his price range.

Even the Dreamcatcher HT I heard did a lot very well...a sub would be needed to get the bottom octave, but that's true of many speakers.

Peter Duminy
05-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Why did you leave B&W?
I married a Canadian belle in Worthing who is from Vancouver. The economy was grim in the UK, so we came to Vancouver on the Canadian Riviera. Remarkable City and surroundings. I do still miss the UK though. Still, I do keep in touch with the B&W mob though!

RGA
05-07-2005, 08:23 PM
I married a Canadian belle in Worthing who is from Vancouver. The economy was grim in the UK, so we came to Vancouver on the Canadian Riviera. Remarkable City and surroundings. I do still miss the UK though. Still, I do keep in touch with the B&W mob though!

Yes I lived in Wales for a year way back in the early 80s - you can tell which show I grew up on from my avatar. (incidentally, channel 3, 8pm, Tuesday you can watch the Doctor do battle against the daleks in 2005. LOL) the giant pepperpots live to EXTERMINATE!!!

Anyway BC is tough to beat as a place to live -- you should go to victoria sometime if you can.

I'm not sure exactly what you do on your site -- are you a consultant or are you planning to manufacturer?

You're going to make me feel bad for saying something bad about B&W! I still say some of the older series sounded better than the newer ones. And WHY the hell did you guys stop making the greatest cheap speaker going in the DM 302 only to replace it with a while still good more annoying treble version in the 303? I wish I didn't sell the 302 because i doubt I'll find anything that cheap that good again.

No wonder an hour after I traded it in it was sold -- I met the guy who bought it LOL.