Connecting speakers to crossover. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Connecting speakers to crossover.

Konran
05-04-2005, 03:02 PM
I was wondering if you could use any kind of speaker wire to connect the crossover to the speakers? Also do you have to solder the wire to the crossover and the speakers? Or is there a way that doesnt require soldering?

Konran
05-05-2005, 04:25 PM
No one??

poneal
05-05-2005, 06:29 PM
You should be fine using 18ga wire for connecting the crossovers. I don't solder mine until I am absolutely sure this is the design that I want and I'm happy with the sound. Then I don't sometimes in case I want to change it. Hope that helps.

hmmmm
05-06-2005, 06:01 AM
poneal,
do you use quick disconnects if you don't solder? I'm putting the finishing touches on my ar.com's and am using the disconnects for the resister but was also curious about the rest in case I screw something up. I was thinking of soldering to the crossover and then using quick disconnects at the tweeter and woofer but I have heard that these come loose eventually.

kexodusc
05-06-2005, 06:52 AM
Yeah, they come loose with lots of connecting/disconnecting...but how often are you going to do that? And even then, quick disconnects come in packs of what? 10, 20, and are pretty cheap.

I use both, soldering is a bit quicker for me, but disconnects are a must during the design/experimenting phase.

I use 18 gauge or 16 for crossovers...some goofs use 14 or 12, don't know how that works for them...must be a pain to solder though.

poneal
05-06-2005, 11:33 AM
but I attach a strand of wire to it. For example, on your resistor, I would run a small ga. wire twisted to the end of the resistor and then connect a female quick disconnect to that wire. I twist all my wires together until I'm satisified with the sound and then solder. I learned my lesson the hard way and soldered right away only to find out that I didn't like the sound. It's a lot harder disconnecting them once soldered. I may be to safety conscious here but I also wrap a small piece of electrical tape around the wrapped wire. Hope that helps.