PartsExpress speaker stand review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PartsExpress speaker stand review

IRG
05-04-2005, 06:39 AM
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=240-744&DID=7&raid=45&rak=240-744

We review speakers here a lot, but this is a quick note/review about some new speakers stands I got the other night. Without proper stands, as most of us know, you are really compromising your sound if you use bookshelf size speakers (and don't use them in a bookshelf).

First off, I have wanted these stands for some time now. Cost was $112 delivered from Parts Express. These look like fairly substantial stands in the picture and catalogs, but they are even more massive in person. These are heavy suckers, and very well built for the money. Each stand weighs about 30lbs and this without filling them with any sand or lead shot. Very simple assembly - 1 screw holds the bottom plate to the middle tube, and 1 screw holds the top plate to the middle tube. I would have preferred 2 screws for each, but not a big deal. The bottom plate is large, and the brass corners you see in the picture are even larger (about the size of a half dollar) in real life. The bottom spikes screw in easily, and are again, large. They are great because with carpet, they will penetrate anything, and with wood floors like I have, the are rounded just enough that I think they won't penetrate the floors, or if they do, it won't be that noticeable.

One thing I really like is the top plate. It is big. It is as wide as my Paradigm Monitor 3s. And almost as deep. I had been using some temporary stands while waiting for these, and they absolutely sucked in terms of both stability and the size of the top plate. They were so small, I was afraid any little touch would knock them off (and it happens when you have a 3 year old - twice in fact). Very few stands out there offer the top plate as big as these.

One feature I am less crazy about is the the screws that come with the top plate. They are fairly small and unobtrusize, and the purpose is to screw them into the top plate so they are facing the bottom of the speaker, to act as an anchor. Otherwise, your speaker can slide too easily on this metal plate. I have found that the length of the screws is off just a little bit, so my speakers aren't exactly sitting flush. Very close though. That may change with time, as I think they will literally make a small mark into the speaker. This doesn't bother me, as you never look at the bottom of a speaker anyway.

I will do one of two things soon; either get some doube sided tape or blu-tack, and use a stickier compound to couple the speaker better with the top plate, or I may get some small screws to replace what came with the top plate, and drive them right into the speakers. Any advice people have on this would be welcome. For now though, they do seem pretty stable, which is important to me with small kids in the house.

These are 24" stands, but with the bottom spikes and the top plate spikes, they are closer to 25-26". I may get some sand this weekend, and fill the cylinder tubes, giving them even more heft. But I will say, that these are really heavy, well built stands as they are now, so not sure it is necessary.

Overall, I give these stands an A+ rating. My previous stands in comparison were an F-. They make any pair of stand mount speakers look more impressive, and I swear once I had them running last night, they actually made the sound stage seem tighter and better focused. And that was listening to cable tv. Can't wait to see if music is also improved. Could be games my mind is playing, but who cares. An improvement in sound for $112 is worth it to me. Highly recommended to anyone who needs or uses speaker stands. And great service/delivery time from Parts Express. irg

kexodusc
05-04-2005, 07:13 AM
Many of us use rubber isolation pads you can pick up at any furniture store...it's more vinyl/veneer friendly and actually tackier than the screws...works as well or better.

Blue tack and felt are also popular.

IRG
05-04-2005, 07:16 AM
Many of us use rubber isolation pads you can pick up at any furniture store...it's more vinyl/veneer friendly and actually tackier than the screws...works as well or better.

Blue tack and felt are also popular.

Yeah, I was thinking about some sort of rubber pads - I will have to see what I can find. That would work well too, thanks.

corwin99
05-04-2005, 10:33 AM
I like to use the Clear Silicon Stick on feet that have a lot of tack to them. They stick almost as well as Blue tack with heavy speakers but is cleaner.

IRG
05-04-2005, 10:40 AM
I like to use the Clear Silicon Stick on feet that have a lot of tack to them. They stick almost as well as Blue tack with heavy speakers but is cleaner.

What is the brand, and where do you get them?

vr6ofpain
05-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the commments, I was planning on picking these up as soon as I move into my new place at the end of the month. Hearing positive things about them is always good.