Your thoughts on Black Label Society [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on Black Label Society

Mr Peabody
05-03-2005, 07:22 PM
I just heard about this band not so long ago. A friend was telling me they were like Deep Purple. I done some research and wonder what was he talking about, I didn't hear any resemblance to Deep Purple but I only listened to audio sound bytes. After seeing how much music this band has out I wonder how I couldn't have heard of them.

I thought their new album Mafia sounded like Ozzy without Ozzy. I did like the samples of Hangover Music Vol. 6 and Stronger Than Death. Any recommendations as to a first album from BLS to try or is this band even worth while? And why did I get the impression they were supposed to be Prog? The sound I heard was heavy rock. Anyone else in this band I would have heard of? From the Ozzy stuff I heard with Zakk Wylde I am not a big fan of Zakk.

N. Abstentia
05-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Definitely not prog, heavy rock as you said. A bunch of bikers kicking ass, basically! If you like Ozzy/Sabbath and stuff like that you'll like BLS.

I like them for what they are. I actually like Zakk's voice which is kind of a mix of Layne Staley and Ozzy. Not a huge fan but I like their music when I hear it.

Duds
05-04-2005, 04:59 AM
I love Zakk Wylde and BLS. I became a fan when Sonic Brew Came out. I remeber going to see them on this tour, there were about 50 people at the show, and they absolutely rocked. Sonic Brew and Stronger Than Death remain my faves, but Mafia is a damn good album.

I dont where your friend got Deep Purple from, it isnt even close!!!!

Zakk did release two solo albums before BLS, they are called "Pride & Glory" and "Book Of Shadows". These are quite different than the BLS stuff though.

Like N Absentia said, I like Zakk's voice too. It gets criticized a lot, but i like it, its original in my opinion.

I just heard about this band not so long ago. A friend was telling me they were like Deep Purple. I done some research and wonder what was he talking about, I didn't hear any resemblance to Deep Purple but I only listened to audio sound bytes. After seeing how much music this band has out I wonder how I couldn't have heard of them.

I thought their new album Mafia sounded like Ozzy without Ozzy. I did like the samples of Hangover Music Vol. 6 and Stronger Than Death. Any recommendations as to a first album from BLS to try or is this band even worth while? And why did I get the impression they were supposed to be Prog? The sound I heard was heavy rock. Anyone else in this band I would have heard of? From the Ozzy stuff I heard with Zakk Wylde I am not a big fan of Zakk.

jdeare
05-04-2005, 09:01 AM
Not bad, but every song (that I've heard) features Zakk bending that one note to the exact same tone. I don't know the technical term for it; I call it the "Heavy Metal" note because bands always use it to denote that they are Heavy Metal.

Not my favorite.