The Books ( I highly highly recommend this show) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Books ( I highly highly recommend this show)

KEXPMF
05-03-2005, 12:57 PM
I posted about the Books a while ago.
I want to tell you, as a community of people who appreciate music more than the average Joe, about this concert. I recommend this show to ANYONE who is into music. Not people who are ONLY into mainstream music and not open-minded to other things, but that's not you people. To YOU people, I recommend this.

You love music, so I want to tell you about this.

It's a show I saw last night that I recommend. Maybe it's coming to your city? Or it's coming to a city where you know another music lover?

The band (?) is called The Books. Saw them last night at the Knitting Factory. Sold out show. Packed. Possibly the loudest enthusiasm and worship I've heard from an audience in a long time.

This music isn't for EVERYONE. It certainly falls under the 'experimental' category. But it's not the bad, boring kind of experimental that is just noise (though sometimes neato noise) to me. This is damn good.
I've been into The Books for a while. Last night was their NYC debut and I was very curious to see if they could pull it off live, if you hear their cd, you'll understand. But they put on a show that was one of the coolest, most interesting (and very different) things I've seen in a long time. I highly recommend the show to anyone who makes music, records music, is into sound samples, or is just into music far beyond the average joe. This is not by any means mainstream music but it's very beautiful. They also incorporate videos (kinda like Sigur Ros... but MUCH MUCH BETTER)

Here is their bio. I LOVE their description. If nothing else, you gotta read that part. I've posted it on here before (just the description) but here it is again:

The Books emerged in June 2002 with the release of their first album Thought for Food, after two years of working on and off in makeshift studios in New York, Los Angeles, Andover MA, and Hot Springs NC. To The Books' total surprise the album received rave reviews throughout the independent music community and worldwide press. Though The Books are hard to categorize they are often pressed in interviews to categorize themselves. It took them almost as long as the making of their album to come up with this remotely suitable answer: blipworld / fakegrass / speedblues / chamberclick / eccentrock / country&eastern / glitch post-anything music with samples, closely followed by "food band". In late 2002 The Books took up residence in the quiet post-industrial hamlet of North Adams, MA and began carving out a new album, which was released in October 2003 as The Lemon of Pink again to worldwide acclaim. The main difference from Thought for Food is its greater coherence and more intimate character, due chiefly to the fact that the entire album was composed in a tiny pantry adjoining the kitchen of their apartment over a continuous period of six months. Immediately after completing The Lemon of Pink, The Books created their website (www.thebooksmusic.com) and rehearsed a one-off show which was performed in October 2003 at the Third Coast Audio Festival in Chicago before - again to their great surprise - a very enthusiastic audience. At that time they also collaborated with veteran radio maker Gregory Whitehead on the 90-minute radio play "The Loneliest Road," commissioned by BBC3, which went on to win the Sony Academy Gold Award in the drama category in May 2004.

Today The Books are working in North Adams and New York, furiously writing and recording their next album to be released in April 2005 and are working excitedly on their live show for tour in the Spring. Aside from their slowly developing vocal and instrumental skills, their insane library of recorded sound samples has been expanded to include a quickly growing collection of video samples which they intend to use both on stage and for installations and movies of a more permanent nature. Add to that machines which rhythmically blow giant smoke rings and a rattling filing cabinet as a rhythm section and you might get a sense of what The Books are up to for the next season or two. Of course they will also bring their instruments: cello, guitar, bass guitar, samplers, mandolins, a clavinet and whatever else sounds right.

UPCOMING TOUR DATES:

Wed 05/04/05 Montreal, QC El Salon

Thu 05/05/05 Toronto, ON El Mocambo

Sat 05/07/05 Chicago, IL University Of Chicago

Sun 05/08/05 Columbus, OH Wexner Center

Mon 05/09/05 Chicago, IL Empty Bottle

Tue 05/10/05 Grinnell, IA Gardner Lounge

Fri 05/13/05 Seattle, WA Chop Suey

Sat 05/14/05 Portland, OR Holocene

Mon 05/16/05 Davis, CA University Of California

Tue 05/17/05 San Francisco, CA Cafe Du Nord

Wed 05/18/05 San Francisco, CA Cafe Du Nord

Fri 05/20/05 Los Angeles, CA Knitting Factory

nobody
05-03-2005, 01:20 PM
Sounds like a good show.

Have you heard the records yet? I've got the first two and love them. I've heard some MP3s of the most recent one, but haven't been able to pick it up yet, although it is certainly on my list. It's more song structured than the others, and features more actual vocals, which I could see dividing their little fan base, but I still like what I've heard from it.

I really like sitting with the windows wide open, playing the first two and letting the sounds blend with the street noise and everything else.

KEXPMF
05-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Sounds like a good show.

Have you heard the records yet? I've got the first two and love them. I've heard some MP3s of the most recent one, but haven't been able to pick it up yet, although it is certainly on my list. It's more song structured than the others, and features more actual vocals, which I could see dividing their little fan base, but I still like what I've heard from it.

I really like sitting with the windows wide open, playing the first two and letting the sounds blend with the street noise and everything else.

I only have Lemon of Pink. I want to get the other one also. I know what you mean about the street noise blending in!! Sometimes I hear things (at the concert too) that I'm not sure are coming from them. I've only listened to one song from the new album and I like it. I'll be getting to the rest of it asap. (Busy day). I'll let you know.

There was quite a mad rush to the merch table after the show. I saw quite a few people buying all three cds (or LPs).

KEXPMF
05-03-2005, 05:08 PM
For some reason, I feel more comfortable recommending the show to the RR.
The cds are an acquired taste. I love them but they are OUT THERE.

The concert, however, is something everyone should see. :cool:

I hope ForeverAutumn is reading - the Toronto show is coming up fast!

Dusty Chalk
05-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Well, you sold me. Too bad they're not coming to my town. :(