Since there seems to be some movie talk going, howz about Cold Mountain? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Since there seems to be some movie talk going, howz about Cold Mountain?

dld
12-29-2003, 12:18 PM
Anybody seen it? The Mrs. drug me to it Friday. Now she owes me Big Fish in return, so even if it wasn't good, I still get a to see a flick I've been dying for. So was it good?

Hel! yea! One of the best Civil War flicks ever. And some of the year's best acting. Kidman and Zellwiegger (yea, SP?) were awesome, especially the latter. Renee had the showier role to be sure, but she pulled it off with amazing aplomb, and when the roll called for restraint, she had that too. For me, she hit the movie at just the right time. Although I admire Jude Law and think he did a fine job, the role, as written, will prolly keep him from being nominated.

In addition to Zellwiegger stealing every scene she was in, Phillip Seymour Hoffman did the same (obviously they weren't in the same scenes). Does he do this in every movie? For you sexual preverts, theres one really yummy scene in there about halfway thru involving PSH, and a houseful of lusty womenfolk of all and sizes and uh, ages :D

Lots of good supporting performances, plus, the huge set battle scene was awesome, with one of the screen's greatest explosions ever, so that should satisfy those who like things that go KABOOM!!! ;)

The music got some ballyhoo here and for sure, its a nice taste of Americana, but O Brother Where Art Thou it is not. Jack White makes a good acting impression too. Gotta wait til the final credits for Alisson Krause's angelic voice.

All in all, a good flick for you and or you and yer favorite significant other. Highly recommended. ***1/2 Joe Bob says check it out (especially while its on the really big screens so that explosion can knock you back in yer seat)

audiobill
12-29-2003, 09:26 PM
I, too, want to see Big Fish. I've heard it compared to Forest Gump -- in that it's that kind of a mind-bending, up-lifting film.....hope it lives to the hype and beyond.

Just got the Indy trilogy for Christmas and it rocks!!
The remastering is so good, that the images look as if these films were created this year.

ForeverAutumn
12-30-2003, 03:41 PM
In addition to Zellwiegger stealing every scene she was in, Phillip Seymour Hoffman did the same (obviously they weren't in the same scenes). Does he do this in every movie?

Or as we like to call him, "You know, that guy".

Hoffman is an excellent actor who usually takes on great supporting roles. We will rent or go to see a movie just because he's in it. No matter how small the part is. Some of the standout roles that we have seen him in are in Magnolia (Tom Cruise is also, surprisingly, excellent in this film) and The Talented Mr. Ripley. I also liked him a lot in Almost Famous.

He seems to work well in supporting roles but hasn't fared as well in the leading roles that we have seen him in. State and Main was okay, but nothing to write home about and Love Liza is to be avoided at all costs. Although, I have to say that Hoffman was pretty good in Love Liza, it was the script itself (which I think he wrote) that lacked....well....everything.

I haven't seen either Cold Mountain or Big Fish yet, but both are high on my movie list. We'll probably check both out while they are still in the theatres. Thanks for the tip on Cold Mountain's explosion. :)

tugmcmartin
01-02-2004, 07:03 AM
Pretty good movie. Jude Law was very strong as Inman and Rene Zellweger was stellar as Ruby. Great appearances by PSH and Natalie Portman. For some reason, i just can't give Kidman the props everyone else is. I've never been a big fan of hers and i think the reason is this: for truly great performances the actor does such a great job at the given role that you tend to forget who you're watching on the screen. I have yet to see a Kidman performance where that happens. She has never melted into a role so much that you forget that you're watching her on screen. It's always "hey, thats Nicole Kidman playing so and so." She was servicable in her role in Cold Mountain, but not stellar. Anyway, good movie with some great cinematography... though i'm not certain some of the mountain scenes in the end were actually southern blue ridge mountains....

T-

audiobill
01-02-2004, 08:16 AM
tug:

I agree with you about Kidman. The only time she has truly allowed herself to melt into the character, imho, is in the role she played in "The Hours".
Interestingly, enough, she wore a prosthetic nose flap in that film.
Could it be that we are blinded by her looks & in a warped kind of way her looks get in the way of her acting??
Just a thought.........since, my daughters and wife all love Kidman & I seem to be the dissenting voice in the crowd.

Happy new year,
Bill aka audiobill

dld
01-02-2004, 09:44 AM
Hey Tug, good observation on the mountains not being authenic Blue Ridge. The movie was filmed in, get this, Romania. The producers say Romania landscape had a more authenic feel of the rural south than the rural south did. Go figure. My bet is the Romanian govt gave them some financial incentives.

tugmcmartin
01-02-2004, 11:49 AM
Hey Tug, good observation on the mountains not being authenic Blue Ridge. The movie was filmed in, get this, Romania. The producers say Romania landscape had a more authenic feel of the rural south than the rural south did. Go figure. My bet is the Romanian govt gave them some financial incentives.

Wow! Romania, huh? How can a foreign country be more authentic than the real rural south???? I don't think the location scouts did their jobs very well. Having been up and down the Blue Ridge in NC and VA i could've found them several better locations. Ahhh, but who am I to tell Hollywood how to do their projects? Do you know if they built the homes to match period buildings of the time or if they found the houses, towns, etc already built? I'd guess they built them on location....

T-