Virtual Surround Sound Home Theatre System [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Surround Sound Home Theatre System

tonyiow
05-02-2005, 08:10 AM
I am looking to buy a Virtual Surround Sound Home Theatre System. My living room is approx 12 X 12 and I do not really have much space for multiple speakers, hence my leaning towards something like the Denon model mentioned in earlier posts :

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=6983&highlight=virtual+sound

I have a Sony Wega Widescreen TV and I do not have any home theatre system at the moment. I enjoy watching films so the attraction to be able to hear in dolby 5.1 surround sound seems very appealing. Any help any forum members can give me and/or experiences or recommendations associated with virtual surround sound. Budget not a problem, just looking for good movie sound quality in a small sized room. Many thanks. Anthony :)

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-02-2005, 08:41 AM
I am looking to buy a Virtual Surround Sound Home Theatre System. My living room is approx 12 X 12 and I do not really have much space for multiple speakers, hence my leaning towards something like the Denon model mentioned in earlier posts :

I have a Sony Wega Widescreen TV and I do not have any home theatre system at the moment. I enjoy watching films so the attraction to be able to hear in dolby 5.1 surround sound seems very appealing. Any help any forum members can give me and/or experiences or recommendations associated with virtual surround sound. Budget not a problem, just looking for good movie sound quality in a small sized room. Many thanks. Anthony :)

This system is probably great if you are in a small space, and don't really have enough room for 5.1(though I bet I could find you a system that would fit, and have none of the limitations this system presents)

Threre is just one caveat to this kind of system, its effects can only be heard from a central sweet spot. Move more than three or four inches(or less) and the surround effect is gone. So if more than one person will look at DVD's on this system, it will not work very well for anyone except one person.

tonyiow
05-02-2005, 08:47 AM
This system is probably great if you are in a small space, and don't really have enough room for 5.1(though I bet I could find you a system that would fit, and have none of the limitations this system presents)

Threre is just one caveat to this kind of system, its effects can only be heard from a central sweet spot. Move more than three or four inches(or less) and the surround effect is gone. So if more than one person will look at DVD's on this system, it will not work very well for anyone except one person.

Hello Sir Terrence
If you could elaborate on the "though I bet I could find you a system that would fit, and have none of the limitations this system presents" that would be great.

The thought of only one member of the family being able to hear films in all their glory thanks to the limitations of virtual surround sound, would put me off! Anthony

anamorphic96
05-02-2005, 08:56 AM
Check out the Athena Micra Six system and the Paradigm Cinema 70 system and one of the entry level receivers from Denon, Onkyo, or Yamaha. A system with one these receivers should run between 800 and a 1000. These systems will give you the full surround effect and sound superior to the Denon system.

http://www.athenaspeakers.com/
http://paradigm.com/
http://www.audioholics.com/showcase/systemguide/hometheatersystem.html

Hope this helps.

hershon
05-02-2005, 09:56 AM
If possible could you post a photo of your 12 X 12 living room as I'm trying to understand why anyone would want to build an apartment or house in the first place with a living room the size of a prison cell? I wonder if this size room qualifies as small because someone posted here that he wasn't sure if his 28 X 20' room was considered, small, medium or large. Seriously, You might want to try Orb Audio satellite speakers & their sub as well as a normal reciever such as Denon which I use for my normal sized living room.

05-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Just to add to the list of suggestions anamorphic(Mr Squeeze, sorry I couldn't help it anamorphic) Klipsch also has a mini speaker system that surprised the hell out of me in turns of sound quality, imaging and impact. Any virtual surround system will only work for one person, DSP algorythms have not reach the level to do virtual surround from any postition yet

paul_pci
05-02-2005, 10:41 AM
I have my 5.1 set up in a 16X12 bedroom which amply accommodates 4 bookshelf speakers, a decent size center and a 10" subwoofer. I cannot fathom any reason why you can't set up a 5.1 system using bookshelf speakers in such a room. Think positively inside the 12X12 box. It can be done. It will be done. You will be in 5.1 nirvana.

hershon
05-02-2005, 10:47 AM
It never dawned on me before as I couldn't do the time and don't want to be anyones beetch but are there any prisons that allow inmates to have a home theater system in their cells? How about cable? Who pays the utility charges. I remember seeing a documentary of some prisons and one inmate had a small color TV in his cell.

anamorphic96
05-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Hershon I live in 12 x 12 studio. Its not great but not as small as your making it out to be. In fact now that I have treated my room its not half bad. Square rooms suck period but I have been able to work things quite well. My mains are 2 ft out from the back wall and 9 feet apart and my listening position is 10 feet back against the wall. Not great but not a prison cell.

I actually think prsion cells are 7 x 9.

Glenn

hershon
05-02-2005, 06:31 PM
More power to you. I'm claustrophobic & I wish I could live in a small place. I still say you're living room must be bigger than 12 X12- that's the size of a small bedroom not a living room but I'll take your word. If space is an issue, I'd go with satalite speakers & a sub- I recommend Orb. Paul PCI says space wouldn't be an issue and I saw his layout and it was comfortable even with regular speakers. Good luck.

Hershon I live in 12 x 12 studio. Its not great but not as small as your making it out to be. In fact now that I have treated my room its not half bad. Square rooms suck period but I have been able to work things quite well. My mains are 2 ft out from the back wall and 9 feet apart and my listening position is 10 feet back against the wall. Not great but not a prison cell.

I actually think prsion cells are 7 x 9.

Glenn

anamorphic96
05-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Actually I stated it was a studio, and my measuring tape does not lie. 12x12 is not as bad as it sounds you just have to get more creative with the types of furniture one uses. ;) I also live in San Francisco where rent is SKY HIGH. :mad: Im a bachelaor and im a pretty low maintence guy so it works. As long as I have my stereo im happy.

Glenn

p.s.
Dont need any speakers right now my Paradigm Studio 40's work quite well. :D

hershon
05-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Out of curiosity, could you guess what I'd be paying today for rent at the following location in San Francisco (I was living there with my then girlfriend in 1988): a 1 bedroom apartment at Baker Street across from the gate of the then Presidio. When I moved out I was paying all of $575 in 1988 for an average size apartment in the Marina. Funny thing was, if you follow pro football, Dan Fouts (San Diego Chargers QB of the 70/80's) father who was a broadcaster lived one building down and I wasn't aware of it at the time when I saw Dan Fouts who gave me a friendly hello & all I could think of, wow a San Francisco Dan Fouts lookalike how bizarre. Tia Carerre (spelling) who hated me and vice versa lived/hung out in the neighborhood before she made it big and I thought was a total dead fish and I didn't even realize she was the hot chick in Wayne's World till years later because her real life personality was so totally different. Her ex husband who was an acquintence was a real nice guy though.

anamorphic96
05-02-2005, 10:09 PM
For a one bedroom in that area you are probably looking at 1500 to 2500. Im in Nob Hill and im paying 800 for my studio. Keep in mind I have a couple of larger hallways that lead back to my main room so im able to keep the computer and bookcases in the hallway. Its kinda a unique apt.

hershon
05-03-2005, 12:02 AM
Thanks for your guestimate It isn't as bad as I thought it you could still rent that for under $2200. I'm now getting screwwed in the apartment complex I'm living in LA. The building is turning condo and its rumored they want $300,000 for a lousy 2 bedroom and won't help with the financing. I've currently been paying $1175 a month for a nice sized 2 bedroom with a large private patio and there's a pool in the building. San Francisco is a great place and I never appreciated it when I lived there. I had goodlooking women left right & center there. Here's some good advice for you if you're not involved with anyone. Put a couple of ads in the Bay Guardian & be specific about what you're looking for in terms of looks. You'll get a bunch
of attractive women responding. If you want to be a low life like me, also run an ad that says you're married, you're wife approves and she's working overseas. You'll be amazed at how many respectable professional women respond. You owe me!

05-03-2005, 06:28 AM
Wow Anamorphic,
I work not to far from where you live bro. Hershon anamorphic(Mr squeeze, oops did it again LOL) is right, in the area where he lives the rent is so high you would get light headed from lack of air. I would never consider moving to the city because for what you pay in rent it is not a fair return in space. Glenn lives in a VERY nice neighborhood, and $800 is a bargan for even a studio in that area(Glenn you lucky devil!!)

Hershon, ads in the bay guardian??? LOLOLOLOL wahahaha...say your married and the wife is out of the country......wooooo, I never thought of that one LOLOLOL(dude you are off the hook!) LOL.

Eric Z
05-03-2005, 08:31 AM
I agree with STT- I think it's hilarious how Hershon states he is married and his wife is abroad and she's cool with it, haha- that's the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

Also, some prisons allow color TVs and cable- can't forget about PSs and Gamecubes as well- I studied prison life in college with my sociology classes and visited numerous jails. Sorta like the projects in the Chicago area that provide free cable so the tenants can watch different programs to keep them off the streets. And I have to pay $40+ for my darn basic cable!

Back to the 12x12 living room- you can definitely pick up some decent small satellite type for a good price. The paradigm ones anamorphic mentioned are good- you can also look at Definitive Technology 80s or 100s and get a smaller sub. The 12x12 room can benefit you because you don't have to fill a huge room with sound. After I moved my HT to my family room from my living room (about 23x18 to a 18x12), the sound sounded much fuller!

anamorphic96
05-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Wow Anamorphic,
I work not to far from where you live bro. Hershon anamorphic(Mr squeeze, oops did it again LOL) is right, in the area where he lives the rent is so high you would get light headed from lack of air. I would never consider moving to the city because for what you pay in rent it is not a fair return in space. Glenn lives in a VERY nice neighborhood, and $800 is a bargan for even a studio in that area(Glenn you lucky devil!!)

Hershon, ads in the bay guardian??? LOLOLOLOL wahahaha...say your married and the wife is out of the country......wooooo, I never thought of that one LOLOLOL(dude you are off the hook!) LOL.

Yes the neighborhood is nice. But my building owner is strange. Such as no cable in the building or satellite dishes allowed. I could fight the satllite problem but its not worth my time or money. Actually I was just offered a one bedroom in my building for the same price. But I refused it due to its crappy carpet and where the apt is in the building. I currently get know complaints about loud music. :D Even when I get stupid with some Metallica I get no thing. The crazy lady who talks to herself in the middle of the night next door had to put up sound deadining materials on her side of the apt which helps me . The other two walls have significant space between them and the next building. The guy above me is the same way with his music(not quite as bad, but hes cool) and we know are schedules as to not disturb eahcother. Its great for this reason being im an audio geek. But more space in the future will be nice. Boy do I miss the year I spent in Minneapolis MN, where my studio only cost me 400 utilities paid. That was sweet.

Mr. Squeeze ;)

paul_pci
05-03-2005, 10:25 AM
Hershon,

Sorry to hear about your current housing dilemma. I agreed that you had a really good deal there. Let me know if I can help in anyway. It's tough to find the right place to live in LA when you don't drive.

hershon
05-03-2005, 01:29 PM
As you've helped me more than enough times in the past, I'll be happy to aid/encouage you in my corrupt endevors. The beauty of my fake married man scheme which I don't think I'll try anymore because I'm actually looking for a meaningful relationship now is, especially in the Bay Area, is you will honestly get a bunch of attractive "non loser" women who do not want to be in a serious relationship but aren't looking to be with more than 1 man, and they' ll xxxxxx your brains off from the word go and make no demands on you whatsoever as they'll think you're totally "safe"- a married monogamous man who is a nice guy. A bunch of the women I was involved in as a "married man" bought me expensive presents on their own, took me to good restaurants on their own etc. As long as your story is consistant- "you're wife took a job overseas in Europe for her career and you visit each other 3 or 4 times a year, and she doesn't want you to be lonely, etc., she blesses you having a regular girlfriend. She said, you don't have to wear your ring and in case it comes up, all her belongings are in Europe, you took your place on your own, etc. as long as your lies are consistent she won't question you or even bring anything up. Anyway, feel free to email me for any questions & advice.

prash
05-11-2005, 03:28 PM
Hi,

Here are 2 immensely superior solutions to the bose system u mention.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=807&page_number=1

and

http://www.niro1.com/en/products.html

these systems would scrub the floor with the bose system.

happy listening

-prashanth

I have a Sony Wega Widescreen TV and I do not have any home theatre system at the moment. I enjoy watching films so the attraction to be able to hear in dolby 5.1 surround sound seems very appealing. Any help any forum members can give me and/or experiences or recommendations associated with virtual surround sound. Budget not a problem, just looking for good movie sound quality in a small sized room. Many thanks. Anthony :)[/QUOTE]