Some-thing strange about MP3 Players/Recorders !!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Some-thing strange about MP3 Players/Recorders !!!

onauc
05-02-2005, 06:54 AM
Hi,

Can some-one be kind enough to answer my questions which are in bold text ?

What is "Organic EL screen" ?

I am new to MP3 players.
I want to buy one that does not only play mp3 files but also play and record the radio aswell as record voice/sound/dictation.

Sometimes I come across great ones but they don't have any rechargeable batteries and the ones that do have them have rubbish functions.
And so, if I buy the one with great functions and no recharge-able batteries then if I replace them with recharge-able batteries then will my MP3 Player-Recorder work with-out getting screwed-up ?

Anyway, I am not interested in the "flash memory" ones because even though they are "remove-able memory" they do not contain that much space. And, those that do are too expensive. I am not going to buy IPOD because they are only suitable for MACs (I think).
And so, I thought it would be best if I get the one that has "internal memory" (hard drive) that can hold music aswell as data files so I can easily transfer important data files from my pc to it and carry it on my pocket always.
As I was shopping around, I came across :

MP3 USB Key, Internal Memory and Hard Drive (3 types of MP3 Players/Recorders).
Now, I am spoilt for choice.
I mean, what's the difference between the "Internal Memory" type and the "Hard drive" and the "MP3 USB Key" type MP3 Players/Recorders ?
I mean, the "Internal Memory" type and the "Hard drive" MP3 Players/Recorders are the same thing ain't it ? Because the "Hard Drive" MP3 Player/Recorder also has "Internal Memory". Don't understand this mystery. Am really getting puzzled.
If you say that the "Internal Memory" type and the "Hard drive" MP3 Players/Recorders are the same thing then why has this website categorised them differently ?
Check the links on the left-side of the webpage :

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/sound/4/onglet.html

Check under the section "MP3 PLAYER (220)" and you will see that there is one section "MP3 Hard drive" and another section "MP3 with Internal Memory".
I am going to ask the website these questions but as you know usually websites take a week to reply and I need answers quick and so I need your excellant help !

Please note that I am not spamming the links because I don't own them and I am not affiliated with them either otherwise I would have listed my referral links.

Also, if the "MP3 USB Key" type is a "remove-able memory" then why do the descriptions of each MP3 Player/Recorder on the following link advertise some "MP3 USB Key" Mp3 Players/Recorders that they do not have "removeable memory" ?

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/79/xx/xx/15/4/criteresn.html

Strange !

Oh by the way, the ones that have "dictaphone", would they be able to record secretly conversations which I have with others ? I mean, from how far can they record voice/sound ?

I have some more questions regarding the technical words about MP3 Players/recorders and I have posted them on the thread "What is all this about MP3 USB KEY ?".
Please try to answer them.
Kindly help this fellow find the right MP3 Player/Recorder for himself.

Cheers.

bacchanal
05-02-2005, 09:40 AM
An organic EL screen is a new type of LCD type screen. I didn't even know they were out yet. Basically, I don't think they are any more or less functional than current lcd screens, just different.

The ones with "internal memory" are the same thing as flash memory players. They have no moving parts. These generally have less storage than the harddrive type players, but they are better for people that are going to be jogging with them or whatever.

The harddrive type players will hold a lot more, but are more likely to be damaged by shock.

You can use an ipod (standard, mini, or shuffle) with or without a mac. You just need to use itunes to load the files onto the player. A lot of other mp3 players simply have drag and drop compatibility with windows. Ipods, I think are rechargable, but if the battery goes out I've heard that they cost an astronomical amount to replace.

Most mp3 players i've seen that record sound record the sound in noncompressed .wav form. Which means you can't listen to it until you take it home and convert it to mp3. Also it takes up a lot of space on your player. Furthermore the mics only really work for close range as they are only really meant for recording one or maybe two voices within a few feet of the mic.

I would just use something other than an mp3 player if you're really concerned about recording.

Don't get confused by all the different memory naming schemes. If it's a usb key player it is probably of the flash type (aka no hardrive). This usually just means that you can use the player like a usb key (no software needed, plug and play compatibility with the OS).

I don't have a lot of experience with different brands, but I've been pretty impressed with the various forms of the ipod as well as some of the creative players.

Oh, and as for using rechargable batteries in players that take standard AA or AAA batteries, that would not be a problem at all. People do it with digital cameras all the time.

onauc
05-02-2005, 02:58 PM
An organic EL screen is a new type of LCD type screen. I didn't even know they were out yet. Basically, I don't think they are any more or less functional than current lcd screens, just different.

The ones with "internal memory" are the same thing as flash memory players. They have no moving parts. These generally have less storage than the harddrive type players, but they are better for people that are going to be jogging with them or whatever.

I don't understand. I thought the flash memories are like a floppy disk (removeable storage)
and the "Internal memories" are "built-in" or "integrated" like a hard-drive.
So, how come the "internal memory" are the same thing as flash memory players ?

The harddrive type players will hold a lot more, but are more likely to be damaged by shock.

So, you recommend an "Internal Memory" ?

You can use an ipod (standard, mini, or shuffle) with or without a mac. You just need to use itunes to load the files onto the player. A lot of other mp3 players simply have drag and drop compatibility with windows. Ipods, I think are rechargable, but if the battery goes out I've heard that they cost an astronomical amount to replace.

So, the ones that don't have drag and drop how do you deal with them ?

Most mp3 players i've seen that record sound record the sound in noncompressed .wav form. Which means you can't listen to it until you take it home and convert it to mp3. Also it takes up a lot of space on your player. Furthermore the mics only really work for close range as they are only really meant for recording one or maybe two voices within a few feet of the mic.

Will they record voices clearly at a distance of 3 meters ?
If not, then how many meters ?

I would just use something other than an mp3 player if you're really concerned about recording.

Yeah, but I don't want to spend more buying a mobile pocket music player.

Don't get confused by all the different memory naming schemes. If it's a usb key player it is probably of the flash type (aka no hardrive). This usually just means that you can use the player like a usb key (no software needed, plug and play compatibility with the OS).
[QUOTE]

What does it actually mean by "USB Key" ? I know what a USB is. It's an interface but "KEY" ?
So, if it is a USB Key player then that means it doesn't have internal memory and I would have to spend more money buying flash, the removeable memory ?

[QUOTE=bacchanal]
Oh, and as for using rechargable batteries in players that take standard AA or AAA batteries, that would not be a problem at all. People do it with digital cameras all the time.

So, I should forget about finding one with rechargeable batteries aswell as internal memory aswell as great functions because there is not a single model that puts all 3 golden eggs in one basket ?
Yes, tell me about it ! Have I not tried to find a basket with 3 golden eggs in it.
I either find baskets with only 2 golden eggs and a snakes egg or 2 snakes egg and a golden egg or all 3 with snake eggs but none with 3 golden eggs.
Alright then, I'll concentrate on the functions and memory and forget about rechargeable batteries since you've made it clear that my MP3 Player that does not come with rechargeable batteries can be used with rechargeable batteries without it being screwed-up.

StateDJ85
05-02-2005, 07:46 PM
Organic LED screens use LEDs, which pretty much last forever and don't really lose their brightness. For something like an MP3 player it probably isnt that big of a deal (and prob. draws a lot of battery power). I didnt htink they were putting those in mp3 players...

HAVIC
05-03-2005, 07:24 AM
[QUOTE=onauc]
I don't understand. I thought the flash memories are like a floppy disk (removeable storage)
and the "Internal memories" are "built-in" or "integrated" like a hard-drive.
So, how come the "internal memory" are the same thing as flash memory players ?

The answer is both, it can be removable storage or flash memory can be permantly installed into a device.

So, you recommend an "Internal Memory" ?

I've had my IRiver ihp-120, which is a 20gig hard drive mp3 player for about 10 months, I have droped it a few times and it still works great. It all depends on how much music you want to have with you at all times. Personally I don't want to add or remove music to my player in order to hear different music.

So, the ones that don't have drag and drop how do you deal with them ?

I always try to stay away from anything that it proprietary, ex itunes.

Will they record voices clearly at a distance of 3 meters ?
If not, then how many meters ?

My Iriver came with both an internal mic and an external mic for longer distance recording. It will also allow you to save in mp3 format.

Yeah, but I don't want to spend more buying a mobile pocket music player.

[b]
So, I should forget about finding one with rechargeable batteries aswell as internal memory aswell as great functions because there is not a single model that puts all 3 golden eggs in one basket ?

Look into Iriver, Archos, Creative Labs