first purchase: paradigm mini monitors or dt bp-2006tl's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : first purchase: paradigm mini monitors or dt bp-2006tl's

bigreidie
05-01-2005, 11:14 PM
i know, i know, these speakers are completely different from one another. for now i am mostly interested in listening to music, but i will expand to a home theatre a bit later on. i am really just interested in getting the best bang for the buck. i can get

a pair of Definitive Technologies BP-2006TL's for $600 OR...
a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitor v2's with stands for $200.

i heard that the DT's aren't suited as suited for music in their price range (which at msrp is about 1200). any thoughts, advice would be warmly welcomed.

3db
05-02-2005, 03:40 AM
I would seriously audition PSB's Image B25 model over both of these. I've heard them and compared to the Mini Monitor's, the B25s are just so much better. There's a reason why Steophilr Magazine said they were best sub $500 speaker currently made.

i know, i know, these speakers are completely different from one another. for now i am mostly interested in listening to music, but i will expand to a home theatre a bit later on. i am really just interested in getting the best bang for the buck. i can get

i heard that the DT's aren't suited as suited for music in their price range (which at msrp is about 1200). any thoughts, advice would be warmly welcomed.

Eric Z
05-02-2005, 05:39 AM
I heard a lot of positive remarks regarding the Paradigms, however, I have not heard anything from them personally. The Def Techs I have heard personally and I enjoy their sound. Some do not like them because they are bi-polar. I agree with 3db and how you should look at other brands as well, but it can be challenging because it's difficult to compare and contrast everything.

You must weigh your options, are you going to have hindsight regarding the speakers you buy? If so, hopefully you have a lenient return policy. If not, you'll be in good shape.

IMO (obviously everything is my opinion; it's funny how people write that for just one line or paragraph, haha), you can't go wrong with either speaker because they are both from good, reputable companies.

If you're able to listen to both side-by-side, that would be ideal- then just pick the one you like better (obviously think about the cost, too- is the Def Tech $400 better). Also, look at the rest of the set-up since you're thinking about upgrading to 5.1 eventually. If one is much more expensive than the other, is it worth it? I don't think any 2 speakers are worth more than $800-$900, but that's just what I think- it's hard for me to spend a bunch of cash on speakers- I would rather put my money a few other places.

Regardless of what you choose, remember to enjoy it!

Good luck and let us know what you decide!
EZ

oddeoowphil38
05-02-2005, 08:10 PM

big like you, my preference is on music and as a result I would go with the mini's. You may wanna listen to the monitor3's as well. They sound better to me and have a bigger sound stage. I highly suggest you look at the Ascend cbm-170's too. Lots of people have compared them to being as good if not better than the Studio 20's which are awesome speakers in their own right. Don't really know much about the Definitive products. Can't help you there but good luck in your descision.

natlus
05-03-2005, 04:08 PM

Interestingly enough I just picked up a pair of mini monitors off my local craigslist for $130. I'm not familiar with the DT's. I have a Marantz 4230 receiver driving the Paradigms, w/no stands(so far).

While I wonder if my bargain influences my listening, I've found the minis to be very clean, nice imaging, probably what I would describe as the opposite of "sweet" or "musical" sounding. I have no home theatre so I've played a range of English folk, recent Al Green, and Brazilian vocals--and opera and some classical when auditioning them(and when they were on stands). So far I've experimented with their placement, and found that they are quite sensitive especially in regards to bass and lower midrange. They seem to sound more boomy and lose their accuracy when closer to the walls. My experience confirms some of the reviews I've read on this website. I do wonder if they can retain their accuracy if I mount them on bookshelves(haven't tried yet).

In short, I'm very satisfied with them. My thinking in acquiring them is that by not breaking the bank, I'm prepared-both financially and psychologically- to augment them in the future with a subwoofer, another pair, or they can be reconfigured for another system.

Good luck.

stevewil1
05-08-2005, 11:29 AM
I have heard both and you are right the def tech is not a music speaker. Also to help you decision I would listen to the Studio 20s which are a little more, but are a big step up sonically. The Atom, on the other hand, is on the other side of the pricing game. At $200 retail I ahve yet to hear anything close. They are also both on the latest edition of reccomended components from stereophile.

Happy hunting! :)