PDA

View Full Version : OT: Luxman?

Troy
05-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Luxman R-114? for about $100? Should I?

newtrix1
05-02-2005, 07:31 AM
Luxman R-114? for about $100? Should I?

pros: price is right (I think the MSRP on this unit was $500+), Luxman had a good rep (but then again, so did NAD),

cons: "only" 50 w/ch (but your speeks are efficient), is Luxman still in business? I don't think they are (hopefully you won't need service, but if you ever do...)

I have no personal experience with Luxman, but the review mags always raved about their products. Fyi, Stereo Review (May 1990) reviewed this receiver. I checked my collection, but don't have that issue, sorry bud.

Troy
05-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Advertised at 80wpc . . .

Hell, I dunno.

tentoze
05-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Advertised at 80wpc . . .

Hell, I dunno.
Prolly a reasonably good deal. I don't know that model either, but their earlier stuff that I've heard was always excellent.....

tentoze
05-02-2005, 11:44 AM
Prolly a reasonably good deal. I don't know that model either, but their earlier stuff that I've heard was always excellent.....
..and, FYI, yr email is bouncing due to overquota

newtrix1
05-02-2005, 12:33 PM

here's what I tried to send:

Troy,
I guess you've seen my reply on RR by now? Yes, Luxman is/was a well respected name. I did own a Luxman turntable from the mid 80's which I gave away to my nephew last year (it was still working). My concern is that if the receiver craps out (like the NAD did) it won't be worth the effort & cost to replace. But at $100 your risk is low. Re the power output; Luxman made several "R" receiver models in the late 80's/early 90's R113, R114, R115. etc. I'm assuming they have the same features and each number just ups the power output. I looked up the R114 this morning in a used audio book and it showed 50 w/channel. There are several Luxman receivers currently listed on E-Bay; the R115 (according to the E-Bay ad) has 105 w/ch. They are also around $100. Personally I'm a power junkie and would never own an amp that only puts out 50 w/ch, but don't go by my personal hangups, your Klipsch speakers will run just fine with 50 w/ch. On the other hand, that NAD you had was 100 w/ch, so you might be spoiled. More power is always better than less.
Anyhow, bottom line, Luxman was a reputable manufacturer of audio gear in their day. Here's the search I did on Ebay: http://search.ebay.com/luxman-receiver_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8
Are there any high end audio stores in your area? Sometimes they take trade-ins and you can see/test the item before buying. Dang, there's a place here in PA that always has a ton of decent used gear, too bad you're so far away.

Good luck,

Rick

Troy
05-02-2005, 01:12 PM

Yeah, I'm working on that. My ISP is having troubles with my web host.

Thanks.