Speaker Stands [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Stands

icarian
05-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Hi Everybody,
I was wondering how much speaker stands should weigh? I know this will vary from speaker to speaker, but it seems that most of what I read says the heavier the better. The stands I am using weigh about 60lbs, but could be filled with shot or sand to easily double their weight, would this be beneficial for the speaker?(Dynaudio Audience 52), or could it possibly degrade the sound quality? Anyways, thanks for any insight.
Icarian

vr6ofpain
05-05-2005, 03:32 PM
I always thought that if you could fill your stands, you should so they are more 'dead' acoustically. Though in reading the recent stereophile review of the Epos M5's, they said that the sound was slightly improved with the flimsyier Epos stands (designed for hte ELS-3) than the reviewers reference Celestion stands(filled). Apparently Epos claimed that the 'livier" stand brings out the sound more. Kinda sounds like "Voodoo Acoustic Theory" or something, but who knows.

I would fill my stands If I could have someone weld the cable run holes shut afterward(that would be the only way to get shot/sand into them. I am just going to get a better set of speakers stands in the future. Partsexpress sells a real sturdy looking pair.

topspeed
05-05-2005, 07:02 PM
A heavier stand will not make your speaker sound any better. It may make it more stable, but at 60lbs(!) already, how much heavier do you really need to be? Mass loading is for stability, nothing more, nothing less. In theory, I 'spose loading it does make it more inert, but if you can hear your stand resonating either with or without sand, you're hearing is far better than most. I'm guessing these are SoundAnchors or they are made out of concrete. Seriously, that's a helluva stand.