Paradigm Titans in front - Need Help on Center [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm Titans in front - Need Help on Center

TSH
05-01-2005, 11:39 AM
I have v2 Titans that I want to use as fronts in a 5.1 system (Atom v2 as the surrounds). I would like to get a CC170 for the center. I know that Paradigm is now at v4. Do I need to find a v2 CC170 to match, or would any version of the CC170 work "right". I am not sure of the differences between versions and whether I would notice them anyway. Thanks.

cam
05-01-2005, 03:38 PM
I have v2 Titans that I want to use as fronts in a 5.1 system (Atom v2 as the surrounds). I would like to get a CC170 for the center. I know that Paradigm is now at v4. Do I need to find a v2 CC170 to match, or would any version of the CC170 work "right". I am not sure of the differences between versions and whether I would notice them anyway. Thanks.
I do believe you would be in luck with the cc170 v4. Just let the salesguy know about your situation just in case you are not happy and you wish to return it. And welome to AR.

TSH
05-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Thanks Cam. I will mention it to the sales guy. I was just worried cause I have read that it is very important to get an exact timbre match between the front and center speakers, and that there are differences, sometimes significant, between Paradigm versions. Not sure that I could ever tell the difference, but better to ask up front...

PAT.P
05-02-2005, 05:23 AM
Dont think you'll have a prpblem ,you could buy the cc-270 and it will match but could take more power .I have two of their Stylus cc and use these as bookshelf and sound great.Pat.P :)

TSH
05-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Dont think you'll have a prpblem ,you could buy the cc-270 and it will match but could take more power .I have two of their Stylus cc and use these as bookshelf and sound great.Pat.P :)

So, there are no concerns with "sonic differences" in the designs from v2 to v3 or v4 of the Paradigm Performance series? I think I had read somewhere that some folks found differences, thus making it somewhat important to match not only speaker, but version as well. If not, then I am in good shape! Thanks.

PAT.P
05-02-2005, 07:42 PM
So, there are no concerns with "sonic differences" in the designs from v2 to v3 or v4 of the Paradigm Performance series? I think I had read somewhere that some folks found differences, thus making it somewhat important to match not only speaker, but version as well. If not, then I am in good shape! Thanks.
Check in the 3 and 4 series and there no change in the centre.Pat.P :)

oddeoowphil38
05-02-2005, 07:59 PM
TSH, I am using the Titans v.3 for my rears and a cc-170 v.3 center. It works fine for me but my emphasis is more on music. The sound is very clear and does not sound tinny or boxy. However, if your preference is on HT then I would go with the cc-270. As mentioned, there is not much difference in the v.3 and v.4 but am not sure about the v.2. Anyways, good luck with your choice and welcome to AR forums.

jrhymeammo
05-09-2005, 01:38 PM
I used to have Titan's in the front and 170cc for the center. I was constantely disappointed from the sound from the center. I would highly recommend you to match the Center with front speakers. The sound was not even close to the Front speakers, the dialoge sounded too boxy. Maybe it wouldn't be a big deal to you, if you just want to watch movies with big sound. If I was you, I would look for a 270cc v. 2 for about 50-100 dollars on Ebay or Audiogon.com, if you can find it. Whatever YOU decide, YOU will be satisfied with your purchase.

TSH
05-13-2005, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the insight. I have not made a purchase yet. I will be out in the stores in the next couple of weeks looking at the CC170 and 270, I will also take a look on the net.

cam
05-13-2005, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the insight. I have not made a purchase yet. I will be out in the stores in the next couple of weeks looking at the CC170 and 270, I will also take a look on the net.
Just one thing to consider about the cc170, while its tweeter does match the titans for a really good match, that 3/4 inch tweeter in the cc170 can become overwhelmed quite easily. I know, my first system consisted of four atoms and a cc170 all v2's. The atoms sounded great while the cc170 sounded harsh especially during complex movie sountracks. If to you the cc270 sounds good matched with your titans (Paradigm states it is a good tibre match) I would suggest getting the cc270. Only your ears will tell you if the cc270 can give you a seamless tibre match with your titans and your budget. But here is where things get intesting. In my area, the cc270 is about $60 give or take less then the cc370 which has the ability to be driven hard with no real flaws. You could save up for the cc370 and a pair of mini monitors which match perfectly and demote your titans to your surrounds which they would perform excellent. Just some things to think about.

oddeoowphil38
05-13-2005, 07:03 PM
TSH, I will be selling my cc-170 v.3 very soon as well as my Titans v.3. If you are interested let me know. They are black and only been used less than 3 months. Anyways good luck with whatever you decide.
Phil