Yamaha RX-V1500 receiver features [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha RX-V1500 receiver features

nightflier
05-01-2005, 10:02 AM
I am about to replace my Onkyo receiver with a Yamaha RX-V1500. However, there are several questions that I was not able to get reliable answers on at the stores or online.

- Do the presence speakers really make a difference?

- The rep at GG said I can use any speakers for presence and they don't have to match my existing speakers. Other than the fact he was trying to get me to buy another pair of speakers, is that true?

- Will the component video upconversion also work for the setup menu? For axample, can I adjust the speaker menu when I'm watching a movie? The Onkyo always makes me switch to an s-video source and this is a real pain (Onkyo researchers are you reading this?).

- Can I set different cross-over frequencies for different speakers, for example 40Hz. for the fronts and 80Hz. for the SB's?

- Can I set different cross-over frequencies for different inputs? The stereo radio input doesn't sound as good when set for the DVD movie cross-over frequencies.

- If I use presence speakers, can I still set up a Zone 2 using the second set of front speaker terminals or is my only option an external amp?

- Besides 10 more watts and a colorful menu, are there any other advantages to the RX-V2500?

paul_pci
05-01-2005, 10:45 AM
I am about to replace my Onkyo receiver with a Yamaha RX-V1500. However, there are several questions that I was not able to get reliable answers on at the stores or online.

- The rep at GG said I can use any speakers for presence and they don't have to match my existing speakers. Other than the fact he was trying to get me to buy another pair of speakers, is that true?

- Will the component video upconversion also work for the setup menu? For axample, can I adjust the speaker menu when I'm watching a movie? The Onkyo always makes me switch to an s-video source and this is a real pain (Onkyo researchers are you reading this?).

- Can I set different cross-over frequencies for different speakers, for example 40Hz. for the fronts and 80Hz. for the SB's?

- Can I set different cross-over frequencies for different inputs? The stereo radio input doesn't sound as good when set for the DVD movie cross-over frequencies.

- If I use presence speakers, can I still set up a Zone 2 using the second set of front speaker terminals or is my only option an external amp?

- Besides 10 more watts and a colorful menu, are there any other advantages to the RX-V2500?

The 2500 would have a better build, circuitry, amp section, etc., but whether it's worth the extra money is entirely up to you.

I'll try to address some of your questions and will apologize in advance if I get something wrong. I think presence channels would work better in a larger room or for someone who is set on filling every possible gap in the sound field. As for crossover, I think the setting is across the board but you can set individual speakers to large or small, of course. Whether that will fix the discrepency you hear is unlikely. If you're going to use your front presence speakers, then yes, you'll need an external amp for a second zone.

Good luck and Go Yamaha!

SlumpBuster
05-01-2005, 11:05 AM

Just in case you haven't found it yet, Yamaha has all of their Owners Manuals on line and most of your questions are answered therein:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/manuals/PDFs/RX_V1500.pdf

The presence speakers are matrixed from other channels. They are fun, but not a necessity. If you have some small old speakers to test with I'd try it first with those and see if you like. Presence speakers replace the amplified Zone 2 output, but not the line lever Zone 2 output. So if you want to use presence speakers, you have to use a separate amp for zone 2. If you do not have presence speakers hookup, the receiver detects this and does not even give you the option of using sound fields that have the presence. Alot of people don't like the soundfields offered by Yamah. They usually say "Too many soundfields." But the wow and fun factor is still their and worth $100-200 for a pair of speakers. I use paradigm atoms.

Video upconversion allows on screen adjustment while watching program. You can set it so it switches to white lettering over a gray screen or white lettering over the program picture or set it so it doesn't appear anywhere except the receiver display.

You probably can effectively select different cross overs for different channels, but not in the express way your describing. The only way I can see to do it is by selecting large vs. small, or using the EQ as a high pass by dropping out lower frequencies. You can't assign crossover to inputs, but it is easy enough to change and you may be able to effectively assign a cross over change using the macros on the remote.

There is not much difference between the 1500 and the 2500. Watt difference is imperceptable, the amps are probably the same with minor tweaks to get the 10 watt bump. Important difference is 2 component video inputs vs. 3 for the 2500. Well, its at least important if you want tohook up 3 sources. Gobs of s video inputs though.

Worf101
05-02-2005, 05:57 AM

I've been an Onkyo man since I got into HT. Why the switcht to Yammie? If I were buying today I'd probably go Yammie too with YPAO and other features. I set a 1500 up for a friend about 7 months ago and it was/is a marvelous piece of equipment. If I had a compelling reason to upgrade, that would be it....

Let us know what you decide...

Dave :cool:

nightflier
05-02-2005, 01:06 PM
Paul, Slump,

I'm not clear on the crossover answers for my question about the Yamaha RX-V1500:

- Does the receiver allow me to set a specific cross-over frequency for the fronts that is different than the crossover for the rears, or am I stick with slecting small/large only?

- If I the cross-over setting is global for all inputs, I'll live with it. It would have been nice to have different settings, but that is a trade-off against the "presence speakers" feature I am willing to accept.

nightflier
05-02-2005, 01:53 PM
Worf,

I was a die-hard Onkyo fan for years (I even still have my TX-890). But several things have been irking me for a while now:

- To get component video upsampling you have to buy the TX-NR901 or higher. A bit pricey for something that Yamaha offers on any receiver starting at $400.

- What the heck were they thinking with the 8211 and 8511? None of their stereo receivers can handle 4 Ohm speakers anymore (so my MB Quarts were just collecting dust) and the speaker wire connects with clips? Sounds like they were cutting corners. I asked them if they were going to come out with a new stereo receiver model, too, but they said the future for stereo looks grim.

- Speaking of 4 Ohm speakers, they don't have a single receiver that can handle the load. That's not what I would consider a mid-fi company. Fortunately the HK3480 fixed that problem for me.

- What's with the new versions of the same receiver (with 5 extra watts and an extra button) every two years? I have a TX-SR601 that I have owned for two years and it's already a legacy model.

- The 5.1 inputs on most of their receivers are not assignable. So I can't have a DVD player that's also an SACD player. Who was the genius that thought of that one? I'd like to "discuss" this with him/her.

- The differences between the 600 - 900 models are so slightly incremental I wonder why they jack up the price $100+ per model line. There's too many lines to begin with! And why so many receivers with 6.1? What's the point? Stick to 5.1 and 7.1, like everybody else. No one wants 6.1.

- What was the difference between the DV-SP300 & 500? Nothing.

- Why are their DVD changers so slow; I swear that they are slowest ones in the business.

- High quality CD players? None (even before DVDs were ubiquitous).

And the list goes on. It just seems like Onkyo is stuck in a rut and doesn't know which way to go next. No wonder Yamaha is blowing them away in sales. Who even thought of Yamaha as anything but average just two years ago? Not anymore. Even Denon, after being passed around to a dozen or so owners is kicking Onkyo's but in sales. If you ask me, they're a prime target to be bought out. Maybe they'll become Marantz-Onkyo-Denon (MOD) and make funny commercials about "NAD."

Anyhow, that's just been my experience over the past few years, I'm sure there will be lots of Onkyo fans out there who are going to take issue with my post, but I just hope someone at Onkyo is reading this. It's a tough market sector and if they can't compete, they'll just fade away. I'm not going to be the last guy standing on a sinking ship.

SlumpBuster
05-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Bottom line is that you cannot set the crossover per speaker, it is a global setting. I don't know why it important to you or whether Onkyo or another brand offers such settings. I think with five or more speakers firing away at you, you would be hard pressed to identify any "crossover mismatch" that is not solved by 5.1 processing any way. Bass is non-directional. If you set your mains at 50hz and your rears at 80hz, you would be hard pressed to be able to tell.

But you are shopping in precisely the right way. There is alot of talk on these boards about one brand over another when it comes to Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, H/K. But the fact is all of these brands are great when you get above $600 or $700, it really just comes down to features. You really can't go wrong with any of them. For example, a buddy of mine swears by Cambridge Audio as preferential over the Japanese brands. But, the back panel of that thing looks like a ghost town comparred to the Yamaha. Which is not important, unless you need those inputs, then it becomes determinative. HiFi has made such leaps and bounds in the last decade its like we are all driving around in corvettes, porches, and ferrari's while wondering who's is better. No one brand is better, they are just different.

poneal
05-02-2005, 04:02 PM
my .02 cents

nightflier
05-02-2005, 05:06 PM
Poneal,

I like HK a lot too. As a matter of fact my stereo receiver (HK3480) is incredible. But HK's quality control and usability leave something to be desired, particularly in the 5.1+ receivers. If you read some of the reviews, you'll see that's a pretty standard complaint about HK. Even my 3480 freaks out sometimes and the remote won't respond anymore. HK techs are aware of this problem with this unit, but have no solution.

paul_pci
05-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Yeah, like slump said, crossover settings are global. It used to be the case with Yamaha that you couldn't even set the crossover (as with mine RX-V3300 -auto 80hz), but newer models allow you to set it at different points.

As other will suggest to you, if you detect a crossover discrepancy, it is most likely an issue with the acoustlical characteristics of your room than receiver performance.

nightflier
05-03-2005, 09:12 AM
OK, I guess I should have asked this the first time around. Does the RX-V2500 allow me to set a specific cross-over frequency for the fronts that is different than the crossover for the rears?

nightflier
05-06-2005, 12:53 PM
my .02 cents

I wouldn't say this if I didn't already have a HK receiver and was looking to buy new. But rather than spending another $1000 on a receiver, I decided to put my DPR1001 back into service. I stopped using it because it has only 50W (albeit these are HK-ratings) and the interface and ergonomics of the whole HK product line really drive me nuts.

But now that I have a more demanding set of front speakers I really appreciate the ability to set different cross-overs for each pair of speakers as well as each input. There is no receiver or preamp out there at $600 that can do that. I think if I add a solid 2-channel amp for those front L/Rs, I should be fine with the 50W for the rest.

Thanks for reminding me of HK, Poneal!