Please give me your opinion on Onix Rocket speakers... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Please give me your opinion on Onix Rocket speakers...

iviustang50h
04-29-2005, 01:39 PM
I am looking at some of the internet direct companies to purchase speakers. I really like the Onix Rocket 850's but of course have not heard them yet. Could those that have actually heard them (or other rocket/reference series speaker) please post your opinions? I don't want to start a flame war, so please just tell me whether you liked them or not and why. Thanks much! ;)

drseid
04-29-2005, 03:06 PM
Well, I can't comment on their floorstanders, but I did buy my dad one of their UFW-10 subs...

Build quality/Rosewood finish was exceptional... When it arrived, my Dad was quite shocked at how high quality the finish was, and the outright weight of the 10 inch cube... He didn't believe I really paid under $500 for the subwoofer (as he would not let me spend more than that)...

Sound was also rather surprisingly good... The sub was quite musical, and for its size, it put out quite a bit of high quality low bass. The single band parametric equalizer (while wasted on my Dad) was also a nice touch with such an inexpensive sub... The only real downside was the UFW-10 still cannot match the large SVS and ACI subs when it comes to outright max SPLs, nor could it plunge down to a real 20 Hz...

Still, overall it was a superb bargain, and if the Rocket floorstanders are of similar quality, I can recommend them without reservation for audition.

---Dave

iviustang50h
04-29-2005, 03:56 PM
Thanks for your input drseid. I will eventually update to the ufw-12. Anyone else auditioned a pair of rocket or reference speakers?

thepogue
04-29-2005, 04:00 PM
I see we're fairly close...I live just south of Williamsburg....maybe we need to set-up an AR Virginia listening session!!

Peace, Pogue

drseid
04-30-2005, 02:04 AM
I see we're fairly close...I live just south of Williamsburg....maybe we need to set-up an AR Virginia listening session!!

Peace, Pogue
Not a bad idea... :-) I sent you a PM to discuss any posibilities.

---Dave

iviustang50h
05-01-2005, 05:46 PM
anyone???????????

Woochifer
05-01-2005, 10:58 PM
If you're that curious about the Rockets, then why not buy the ones you're interested in? They have that return guarantee, so you can return them if you don't like them. To me it makes no sense whatsoever to buy speakers based only on word of mouth or reviews, so if you think that they potentially meet your needs and preferences, then it might be worth the upfront charges to try them out for yourself.

Asking for opinions on any internet direct speaker is pretty pointless precisely because the opinions will almost all come from people who already own them. It's not like speakers sold at retail where you'll get plenty of people who've heard them, but did not purchase them. With factory direct speakers it's always a matter of risk and reward. Your risk is the shipping charges if you don't ike them.