Rediscovering lost loves [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rediscovering lost loves

ForeverAutumn
04-29-2005, 11:42 AM
After seeing his name mentioned in the "who is it" thread, I had to give a listen to Jackson Browne's Running On Empty. I forgot how much I love this album. Up next will be The Naked Ride Home. These are the only two JB albums that I have on CD. I have Lives in the Balance on vinyl, but no TT anymore.

I love JB's voice. So smooth. I'd totally forgotten how hearing Love Needs a Heart makes me melt. And in listening to these tunes again I can't believe how, in all the years that I've played guitar, I've never picked up the music to any JB songs. That's going to change. There will soon be some Jackson Browne in my repertiore.

I feek like I've just rediscovered an old love. And although I took him for granted the first time 'round. This time will be different....better.

Have you ever rediscovered a lost love? Musically, I mean.

Olivertmc
04-29-2005, 12:23 PM
Funny you should mention this . . . just last weekend I was "organizing" my cd's (I keep them in Case Logic books because of space concerns, so I usually add all my new discs to the books every 3 months or so) and I came across Tom Petty's "Wildflowers." I don't know what it is about that album, but I was completely addicted to it while in my second year of college and listened to it pretty often for the next couple of years. Just something about the way that first song set the tone for such a warm and engaging record. In any event, I must have played it 3 times on Sunday, and continue to listen to it a little each day in the car.

Of course, like you, I've begun hunting down more Tom Petty . . .

Dusty Chalk
04-29-2005, 11:15 PM
You know, I keep trying to finish organizing my CD's, but I end up pulling out more than I am putting away, and it takes forever to listen to them...I have this problem all the time.

Kinda reminds me of a song, and it goes something like this...

Davey
04-30-2005, 07:46 AM
You know his heart is perfect
And I saw a werewolf drinking a Perrier at Trader Vic's
And his hair was perfect
Werewolves of London again
Draw blood

Jackson Browne, hmmmm. Yeah, the self-titled album which I guess is now officially called Saturate Before Using is the one that deserves the classic title in my mind. Starts with "Jamaica Say You Will" and doesn't stop the heartfelt journey until "My Opening Farewell" ends side two. It's the real deal. And so is that Warren Zevon live album that the lyric is from, but that's a different tangent into an alternate space ;)

For me lately it's been Telegraph by Richard Davies. We had a nice thread about it a while back when Slosh was looking into getting one of his albums, and this album has been a big favorite of the Ex Lion Tamer and myself, as we both have the excellent sounding vinyl with the bonus 45 on Flydaddy. But I haven't had my turntable set up for awhile and when I do it's been on an intermittent basis because of moving and space issues and the like. But one of my buddies here just recently dropped a copy of the CD on me and I'm loving it again. What a great album! Didn't realize how much I missed hearing it on a regular basis. Not the type of music that knocks your socks off on first listen, but one that definitely can worm it's way into your brain and ultimately, into your heart. Kind of like Canada's own poster boy for underappreciated troubadoors, Ron Sexsmith. Love it!

3-LockBox
05-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Donald Faygen's The Nightfly. Probably the best jazz album of the '80s, even though its not officially a jazz album. Still one of my better sounding CeeDees too.

To be honest, I think that my comp making a year or so ago sort of killed actual album listening for a while. Lately, I've eschewd the comps for the original albums.

shokhead
05-06-2005, 05:51 AM
Do you have the one he did before nightfly?

3-LockBox
05-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Do you have the one he did before nightfly?

I wasn't aware he did one before Nightfly. What's it called?

BarryL
05-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Donald Faygen's The Nightfly. Probably the best jazz album of the '80s, even though its not officially a jazz album. .

What a great album.

I've been rediscovering Joni Mitchell. There are four new comps out in the past year. One of them is exclusively from Starbucks, with the songs chosen by Mitchell's contemporaries. Very interesting selections. The latest comp is Songs of a Prairie Girl, which is her tribute to Saskatchewan winters(?!).