New peice in Pogue-land... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New peice in Pogue-land...

thepogue
04-29-2005, 07:40 AM
Looks like tommorrow I'll have a new set of ML's in the house...I'm picking up a full set of HT speaks....Prodigy's up front, theather center and scripts for rears...I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the center and rears because I'm really only into 2 channel....but we'll see. As far and the Prodigy's I'm going to listen to them in my room which is wayyyy too small (the best I can do for now is 10' from the listening position and 9' apart but nowhere near enough room on the sides nor the rear) and I'll see how it goes...then if I decide to keep 'em I'll be selling my Pdigms 100's...(maybe to me brother in Cal if I can talk him into it ;) I hope to have them crankin by tomorrow night and I'll keep ya'll up-to-date on how it's all working out....fun fun fun....

Peace, Pogue

Resident Loser
04-29-2005, 08:24 AM
...with the new toys...

jimHJJ(...good listening...)

topspeed
04-29-2005, 09:35 AM
Congrats me laddy! Are you going to be upgrading your front end as well or holding firm (Not that there's anything wrong with it. You know how audiophilis nervosa can be ;)! )

Enjoy your new toys! I'm sure you'll be spending the weekend replaying all of your favs from your collection.

E-Stat
04-29-2005, 09:41 AM
Looks like tommorrow I'll have a new set of ML's in the house...
Enjoy your new stats. I'm still exploring my 3 week old SLs. :)

rw

thepogue
04-29-2005, 09:58 AM
T-Speed - yea I'm sure at some point I'll be slowly but surely upgrade...I think the TT's a keeper...and the 2.2 cables....I think the first thing I'll be needing is a LP cleaner and a power conditioner...then a pre....but I've got to keep me head low fer a bit til me lady simmers down a bit..lol (just funnin')

E-Stat - I'll be needed yer help no doubt laddy...this is me first set of "stats" and with such a smallish room...I'll need your advice I'm sure...!!!

Pogue

risabet
04-29-2005, 12:48 PM
As the owner of the Clarity's I applaud your conversion to the planar camp. Visit the Martin-Logan Club at Martin-Logan Club (http://gator11.hostgator.com/~tdacquis/forum/index.php?) for many discussions and hints on set-up. Be sure to vist the
Toe-in Technique (http://gator11.hostgator.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=125) . This will help you set the correct toe-in and get you off to a great start.

thepogue
04-29-2005, 01:49 PM
and thanks for the heads-up on the ML group....I already joined but after I sign in I still cannot post!...I PM'ed the two moderators but still no help as of yet...I never did receive a confirmation email....

Peace, Pogue

Geoffcin
04-29-2005, 03:49 PM
and thanks for the heads-up on the ML group....I already joined but after I sign in I still cannot post!...I PM'ed the two moderators but still no help as of yet...I never did receive a confirmation email....

Peace, Pogue

I know your going enjoy them as much as I enjoy my planars. Speaking which, we've got a nice little homegrown planar group going on here now. No need to waste yout time on other forums where the moderators don't even answer their PMs!

thepogue
04-29-2005, 03:52 PM
'bout not answering....its been a few days...I'll just stay home (here) and enjoy!! Thanks for the well wishes...I'll let you all know how the adventure continues..

Peace, Pogue

thepogue
04-29-2005, 05:04 PM
;) zzzzzzzz..........ahhhhhhhhh.............zzzzzzzzz zzz..........ahhhhhhhh

Worf101
05-01-2005, 10:27 AM
;) zzzzzzzz..........ahhhhhhhhh.............zzzzzzzzz zzz..........ahhhhhhhh

Dem looks good. Congrats. Sniff wish my ole lady didn't have "how speakers look" bug. Enjoy, we expect a FULL report in short order....

Da Worfster :D

thepogue
05-01-2005, 12:21 PM
do you 'member a few years ago when i heard me first ML and had a boner...I mean like'em alot?..lol wellllll ta da....lol

I just wrote me first impressions in the speaker forum...I know it sounded kinda gloomy (my first impressions)...but they are steller speaks....just not sure its me cup-o-tea yet...but I'll remain open and honest and let me ears do me judging fer me...nice ta see you ole matie....hope alls well in worf-world!!!

Peace, Pogue

hermanv
05-02-2005, 11:58 AM
I have a pair of ReQuests (wana trade?) in a small room. Because the room was small I couldn't place the speakers far enough from any walls to get the most out of them. They are only 4 feet (the faces) from the back wall and about 3 feet from the side walls to the nearest speaker edge.

I experimented with various absorbent things behind the speakers and almost everything I tried helped to some degree. I ended up purchasing a high wool content carpet underlayment which now hangs floor to ceiling behind each speaker. The wool wraps the corner for about 4 feet into the room and about 5 feet from the corner behind the speaker. In this room I had poor light and walnut paneling so the overall color of the wool is very similar and the hangings are not visionally objectionable.

Sound Labs sells an absorbent self supporting panel designed to go behind their speakers so clearly we are not the first to have experienced this problem. Please devote some effort because in the end these speakers will reward you with first class sound.

ps. When I added the ESL to my system, some upgrades became obviously necessary the MLs are not forgiving of upstream faults.

E-Stat
05-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Sound Labs sells an absorbent self supporting panel designed to go behind their speakers so clearly we are not the first to have experienced this problem. Please devote some effort because in the end these speakers will reward you with first class sound.
I second that notion. All bipolars need to have the back wave controlled for the best imaging and bass response. You don't want a giant Bose effect here as it will only serve to lose focus. I use a combination ot DIY bass traps, distance, and wall panels.

Your situation will likely be a bit easier since the woofers direct their energy primarily forward.

rw

thepogue
05-03-2005, 11:52 AM
and I did make some headway. First I've got a Cheskey set up CD and I used it for working on the toe-in anoung other things. I pretty comfortable that my toe-in at this point is 95% there but I was surprised to see how far off I was…As far as the bottom end I've got a good handle on that by using a test tone (a 100 Hz I think) to find all the cancellation areas in which I only found one…funny thing is it’s right the doorway where you enter the room….so anybody walking in and not "coping a squat" would be standing in one of the biggest dead zones in the room. My seated position was just a tab bit strong but nothing I can’t live with. I’ve got quite a few sound absorbing panels which I can use if needed. I think what I’m hearing from last night is that although my stereo center is pretty much dead on I’m still hearing more information (or is seems) from the left channel. Nothing overwhelming but I can hear it. It's also the speaker side that has the most room on it’s outboard side (2’) as opposed to the right speakers outboard side has but a few inches to the wall. I think this will certainly make for some interesting tweaking in the coming months.

I must add that now that I’ve got several hours of critical listening I’m happy to report that because I’m listening more to the music (as opposed to the speakers) I’m very much enjoying them…female vocals are just astounding!!! I had a friend stop by and he stated (after 5 songs or so) that he’d never heard music sound so "real". And although he’d not what I would consider a "audio type" (e.g. a nut!) he is a fine musician (and has good ears) so that did meant a lot to me. It’s always good to get that outside opinion especially when your really fixated on things getting set-up correctly you (we) tend to forgo listening to the music…so with all that said, they sound fantastic….still not 100% but they are real heavyweights!

As far as upgrading my other equipment I’ll have to wait on that…maybe next year or if something falls out of the sky I’ll consider it. I’m still hunting for that LP cleaner bargain…but that goes without saying ;) more to come

Peace, Pogue

thepogue
05-03-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm goin' to cut n paste the above and move to "speaker-land"....come on boys...the beers this way...;)