Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD Player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD Player

NJ_Richard
12-29-2003, 09:51 AM
I recently purchased the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD Player with vacuum tubes in its output stage from Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio (see
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/AH!/ahN.htm).

I own Quad electrostatic speakers (the 1964 version) and used to listen to a Mission DAD 7000 CD player.

I had always heard about the "sweet spot" of the Quad speakers but with the Mission CD player, the sweet spot never materialized. The sound was good anywhere in the room.

But as soon as I connected my new Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 cd player, I discovered the sweet spot of my Quad speakers. The lesson I learned is that my Mission CD player was not good enough to bring out the full potential of my Quad speakers. The information and resolution of the new Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 is excercising the muscles of the Quad speakers for the first time. And it's a pleasure to listen to the much improved sound quality, compared to the old Mission cd player.

Richard in New Jersey

bturk667
12-29-2003, 02:37 PM
What really is the most important component in a system. Most people will say speakers, but are they really?

I'm glad your so happy with your new CD player. So sit back and enjoy the sweet spot. Isn't music and high-end audio grand?

Jimmy C
12-29-2003, 04:30 PM
...how terrible that must have been! :^)

I just did a comparo between my semi-old CDP (Rotel) and my (again, semi-new) DVD player (also Rotel)... one must squint to hear any diffs, if at all.

I would say most of the sound differences come from the speakers (big revelation, here...). The other two (maybe uncontrollable) differences come from the room itself, and the quality of software.

Admittedly, I'm also curious about the Tjoeb! stuff.. the tubes might just curtail the glare some CDs have... not a bad thing.

So much gear, not enough time to listen!

mtrycraft
12-29-2003, 11:07 PM
I recently purchased the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD Player with vacuum tubes in its output stage from Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio (see
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/AH!/ahN.htm).

Enjoy.

I had always heard about the "sweet spot" of the Quad speakers but with the Mission CD player, the sweet spot never materialized. The sound was good anywhere in the room.

Sorry, not the fault of the CD player at all. Just another audio myth. Perhaps your speaker's location was not right. Perhaps the software was not well recorded. Perhaps the speakers were out of phase but certainly not the fault of the CD player you had, or any other.

But as soon as I connected my new Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 cd player, I discovered the sweet spot of my Quad speakers.

Yes, human perceptiopn is far from being infallible and so easy to be fooled.

The lesson I learned is that my Mission CD player was not good enough to bring out the full potential of my Quad speakers.

I just don't see how you could have learned this lesson from an unreliable comparison.

Kursun
12-30-2003, 09:13 AM
...I had always heard about the "sweet spot" of the Quad speakers but with the Mission CD player, the sweet spot never materialized. The sound was good anywhere in the room.

I'm confused. I had thought the sound being good anywhere in the room is preferable to having one "sweet spot".Do you mean the treble tones became more directive?

dennis
02-19-2004, 06:16 AM
which model Quads are being used.....the electrostatics only have a "sweet spot", they sound lousy any where else......but their regular box floorstanders can sound okey off the sweet spot.