Will HD-DVD/BLU-Ray have HD Component out [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Will HD-DVD/BLU-Ray have HD Component out

HAVIC
04-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Is there an official statement on this yet. I've only read a lot of rumors, but no real answer. My HDTV is 4 years old and only has component video.

edtyct
04-30-2005, 03:56 AM
Good question. I don't believe that the final verdict is public yet. I'll bet that the promises of backward capability for the HD players will mean that HD-capable component will be represented on them, but the question remains whether it will always, or ever, be capable of carrying HD content. After all, the universal agreement at this point is to preclude even mere upconversion of copyprotected DVDs through component video. The Zenith player (made by Zenith's owner LG) was the last one in the mainstream community to upconvert these DVDs via component, but the latest firmware now prevents it. Content providers are much more comfortable with the security offered via HDMI/DVI than via an analog connection. Maybe some HD titles will pass through component, but not all. It remains to be seen.

Ed

Geoffcin
04-30-2005, 10:31 AM
Is there an official statement on this yet. I've only read a lot of rumors, but no real answer. My HDTV is 4 years old and only has component video.

One of the major fights over the new standards is how to harden the copywrite protection. Right now HDMI is useless in any TV unless it supports the HD security protocol. My guess is that they will make that the standard.

spuppy517
05-19-2005, 10:21 PM
Ok - so, PS3 announced at E3 that it will be using bluray format for it's games and will play bluray dvd's...... I can't imagine that the PS3 will only have an HDMI input. So my guess is it will have component hookup (I would even venture s-video??). But my question is this...... how good of a resolution can one expect if hooked up through component cables?? 720p? I assume I won't be seeing 1080p promised thru bluray. Anyone know?

Geoffcin
05-20-2005, 02:21 AM
Ok - so, PS3 announced at E3 that it will be using bluray format for it's games and will play bluray dvd's...... I can't imagine that the PS3 will only have an HDMI input. So my guess is it will have component hookup (I would even venture s-video??). But my question is this...... how good of a resolution can one expect if hooked up through component cables?? 720p? I assume I won't be seeing 1080p promised thru bluray. Anyone know?

They will probably restrict the format to 480p when using that. Copywrite protection is their #1 concern.

spuppy517
05-22-2005, 10:04 PM
They will probably restrict the format to 480p when using that. Copywrite protection is their #1 concern.

So basically I'm screwed??? Even if I can afford a PS3 or a next gen DVD player I may not be able to even connect it to my tv? And if I can I'll still only be seeing 480p???
I didn't wanna have to get a new tv too. Ugh! I thought these tv's are supposed to be "HDTV". 480 isn't true hi def is it?? You can't acheive 720p or 1080p thru component??? Or is it just an issue with the next gen equipment? I'm confused (and probably a little stupid). HELP!

Geoffcin
05-23-2005, 02:21 AM
So basically I'm screwed??? Even if I can afford a PS3 or a next gen DVD player I may not be able to even connect it to my tv? And if I can I'll still only be seeing 480p???
I didn't wanna have to get a new tv too. Ugh! I thought these tv's are supposed to be "HDTV". 480 isn't true hi def is it?? You can't acheive 720p or 1080p thru component??? Or is it just an issue with the next gen equipment? I'm confused (and probably a little stupid). HELP!

Only the way they want to work it, if you want to see true a true HD picture then it will be with an HDMI cable.This way they can control the copywrite. You can absolutly get HD through component cables, I'm doing it right now!

I'm not sure about the gaming consoles. You might want to try the gaming forums to get more info on that.

kexodusc
05-23-2005, 02:59 AM
It woudn't be too long before someone came out with a pretty inexpensive cable adapter (actually I think they exist already) to get around the HDMI thing...some of the big names in the industry are starting to soften their draconian stances on copywrite issues. I think maybe they realize they're losing this war of attrition. I sure hope so...we've seen a lot of pretty dumb decisions made because of piracy fears. Just keepin' honest people honest IMO.

HAVIC
05-23-2005, 04:59 AM
I Found a dvi to component cable will on ebay, will this trick the dvi into sending the high-def signal I'm looking for? I would assume that it would not be able to handle HDCP through DVI though. Any thoughts? The link to the cable is below

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64631&item=5775532071&rd=1

edtyct
05-23-2005, 08:12 AM
I'm not sure what you're trying to do. One application for this cable is the ability to take a DVI signal from a PC video card and deliver it to a display device. In this use, HDCP would be irrelevant, since the handshake is necessary only if the sending component is HDCP-compliant. If only the target is, HDCP isn't an issue. So the card should send the HD signal intact, assiming that there are no syn problems between the card and display. If you're trying to send a DVI signal from an HDCP-compliant STB, DVD player, or anything else w/HDCP to a component input, the transmission will be blocked, since the sending device won't shake hands correctly with the target (with the exception that the STB may not have the HDCP flag enabled for every HD transmission). But why do this at all? Presumably, anything that has a DVI output has a component one as well; any difference in HD PQ won't be worth sweating, in either direction.

Are you trying to go from a component output to DVI input? That probably wouldn't work with this adaptor, unless the accompanying literature specifically states that the conversion goes two ways. But why do this, anyway? DVI isn't necessary for HD, and if you've run out of component inputs, you can always get a switchbox. Plus, any broadcast protected via DVI will be downconverted via component. You have nothing to gain, unless I'm missing something.

Ed

spuppy517
05-23-2005, 11:14 PM
Only the way they want to work it, if you want to see true a true HD picture then it will be with an HDMI cable.This way they can control the copywrite. You can absolutly get HD through component cables, I'm doing it right now!

I'm not sure about the gaming consoles. You might want to try the gaming forums to get more info on that.

I'm not sure about the gaming consoles either but I can't imagine that a company like sony would spend alot of money on the PS3 promising people they can play games in 1080p on bluray technology and then go and alienate most consumers by making them connect thru a HDMI cable..... right?!?! :D
I mean whose gonna wanna spend (well who knows how much it will be) but probably nearing $500 for a next gen gaming console if we would only still be seeing 480p. I know I won't be.