Speaker repaired...not! help! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker repaired...not! help!

grim0003
04-28-2005, 04:40 PM
I have a speaker where the mid was blown and I got it repaired..but....it blew the same way again. The mid is out and will only engage at high volumes and then will sporadiccaly play(on and off)and only at high volume, at low vol it wont even play, so I'm asking you guys what the ---- is wrong with this speaker.

Geoffcin
04-28-2005, 05:03 PM
I have a speaker where the mid was blown and I got it repaired..but....it blew the same way again. The mid is out and will only engage at high volumes and then will sporadiccaly play(on and off)and only at high volume, at low vol it wont even play, so I'm asking you guys what the ---- is wrong with this speaker.

90% of the time what your describing is the fault of a bad connection somewhere. If it was blown it woul NOT come on at any volume.

pelly3s
04-28-2005, 08:13 PM
take the speaker out and put audio into it and more the tinsel leads around. it is a good chance that one might be loose.

Kursun
04-29-2005, 11:50 AM
I have a speaker where the mid was blown and I got it repaired..but....it blew the same way again. The mid is out and will only engage at high volumes and then will sporadiccaly play(on and off)and only at high volume, at low vol it wont even play, so I'm asking you guys what the ---- is wrong with this speaker.- With the speaker close to your ear, using your fingers carefully move the cone back and forth. Do you hear/feel any scraping sound?
- Also, if you have any multimeter measure its DC resistance as you move the cone. Does it drop to near zero as you move the cone?

The voice coil former may have warped because of over-power and may be rubbing against the magnet core. Due to scraping, the voice coil may get shorted on the magnet core.

grim0003
04-30-2005, 05:03 PM
No, it does not scrape and it's apparently working again, actually I just turned it up and it failed and won't work at all. The other speakers are the same and they've taken the same power and not failed so I don't understrstand what's wrong with this one. It was just repaired. I might have to take it back to the repair store. They're under warranty. These speakers are rated for high power so a couple watts shouldn't kill them like that and the other ones have never had a problem.

grim0003
05-05-2005, 06:34 AM
The speaker has magically repaired itself! Can somebody please explain why it's now working fine and has been for the past few days. I couldn't even take it for repaired itself! Does anyone know why it works now ?