Question - Paradigm (old and new) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question - Paradigm (old and new)

jimson
04-28-2005, 01:21 PM
I have had the same speakers since 1995 and have loved them. My setup consisted of Paradigm Titans (front), Atoms (rear), the CC-150 center and their 10" sub. Back in 1995, there weren't as many models and options available. The atoms and titans were sold as "satellites" with the sub as there was no LFE then. So naturally I wired the titans THROUGH the subwoofer as my L and R stereo pair on my SONY receiver. The sub took the low freqs it needed and passed along the rest. Even after I upgraded to a NAD T-760 A/V receiver, I never felt a lack of bass response - never missed the .1 LFE channel as there was LOTS of bass in my stereo pair.

Well now I have one blown woofer on a Titan and have opted to purchase a pair of Monitor 3s from Craigslist for an amazing price of $160 and in great condition. My concern is whether these new speakers will plug right into the old setup (SW in the stereo pair) and play nicely or would they be better off without the sub inline?

My listening habits are about 70% home theater (Dolby Digital/DTS) and 30% music (2 ch). While this might argue for purchasing a new, powered SW and running it from the LFE pre-amp output on my reciever, I would hate to loose the wonderful bass response on my two channel music listening. I plan on buying an NAD turntable soon and breaking out the old vinyl and again, would hate to lose the solid low end from this subwoofer.

Any advice from you audiophiles/pros?? :)

jimson
04-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Well I purchased and setup the Monitor 3s (v1) and they sound awesome, even inline with the passive SB-100 sub (Paradigm 1995).

IRG
05-04-2005, 07:07 AM
I have had the same speakers since 1995 and have loved them. My setup consisted of Paradigm Titans (front), Atoms (rear), the CC-150 center and their 10" sub. Back in 1995, there weren't as many models and options available. The atoms and titans were sold as "satellites" with the sub as there was no LFE then. So naturally I wired the titans THROUGH the subwoofer as my L and R stereo pair on my SONY receiver. The sub took the low freqs it needed and passed along the rest. Even after I upgraded to a NAD T-760 A/V receiver, I never felt a lack of bass response - never missed the .1 LFE channel as there was LOTS of bass in my stereo pair.

Well now I have one blown woofer on a Titan and have opted to purchase a pair of Monitor 3s from Craigslist for an amazing price of $160 and in great condition. My concern is whether these new speakers will plug right into the old setup (SW in the stereo pair) and play nicely or would they be better off without the sub inline?

My listening habits are about 70% home theater (Dolby Digital/DTS) and 30% music (2 ch). While this might argue for purchasing a new, powered SW and running it from the LFE pre-amp output on my reciever, I would hate to loose the wonderful bass response on my two channel music listening. I plan on buying an NAD turntable soon and breaking out the old vinyl and again, would hate to lose the solid low end from this subwoofer.

Any advice from you audiophiles/pros?? :)

I also have the Paradigm Monitor 3 and a NAD receiver. I wouldn't run the speaker through the sub anymore, unless your bass management on your NAD isn't good. I have a newer NAD, so the bass management options are very good. You could always get a separate amp for your sub (what kind of a sub anyway?) and run it that way. I use the lfe preamp for the sub, and it works for all inputs, not just HT. So if I listen to music, the sub is just as effective as it is for dvds. Otherwise, I might get a new sub if I were you. I use a powered JBL now, and will be upgrading to a SVS sub soon. Can't wait.

The Monitor 3s have pretty good bass on their own though, depending how big your room is. But the sub does add depth to everything, and I would want it for both music and HT.

StateDJ85
05-04-2005, 09:15 AM
I used to have monitor 3's as well. Try running them right from the amp and see what you think. For music, I think the speakers themselves will provide just about all the bas you'll want. Ideally, it's better to run the sub off of an RCA jack on the receiver, so the receiver splits up the signal for you. I don't have a NAD though so I don't know if that's possible with yours. Anyways, have fun with the 3's. They're great speakers.