I'M HAPPY or DIVORCED! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I'M HAPPY or DIVORCED!

swgiust
04-28-2005, 12:09 PM
I pulled out the ol' credit card today and ordered a SVS PB-12ULTRA/2.
Think my wife's gonna notice?? Hope it live's up to the hype. I want this
to be the last sub-woofer I'll ever own......

shokhead
04-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Did you say the last sub to ever own or your wife will disown you?

N. Abstentia
04-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Just don't throw the shipping box away..hopefully it's big enough for you to live in :)

MCF
04-28-2005, 01:05 PM
the only thing I regret is that it is way overkill...I got the 12Plus/2 in wood finish to get the paremetric equalizer...finally set it up last night using my SPL meter and AVIA DVD (for phase) and watched Matrix at a normal level...awesome..even at a normal listening level (-17 to -15 master volume on AVR = ~70db overall) the sub scared me a couple times...like when Morphius flies up in the air during the fight seen and puts his knee thru the floor...sounded and felt like someone put a knee thru my floor. And with the crossover set at 80Hz.....no directionality at all. That is with gain at about 25% and gain set to -5 on AVR setup menu. I will set the equalizer this weekend, but can't expect much more out of a sub....have fun and try not to break anything in your house the first day or so you have it!!!

PAT.P
04-28-2005, 07:12 PM
I pulled out the ol' credit card today and ordered a SVS PB-12ULTRA/2.
Think my wife's gonna notice?? Hope it live's up to the hype. I want this
to be the last sub-woofer I'll ever own......
Hope you'll have a great life together and it meets your expectation ,as for your wife to notice the debit (your probably in deep $$$) I know my wife would kill me if I bring one more speaker or sub home .Thank God she going on vacation in Czech for the summer migth be able to sneak a receiver in . :D

sc03979
05-03-2005, 01:17 AM
Holy crap!!! 2k for a sub. drool. Uh , sorry for drooling on myself, man would i love to get myself evicted from my apartment with that sub.

paul_pci
05-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Man, you have to let us know what happens with that whole marriage thingie. Some day, one or all of us will put a book together chronicling all the WAF stories out there and all the newly divorced men clinging to their audio equipment for one last shred of intimacy.

swgiust
05-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Sorry guys, My wife is the gal that laughed when I brought home 7 mono block amplifiers, and my wife is the gal who sugested that we replace our old couch with theater seating.
I folded up a box to be the size of the sub and she barely noticed. (which buy the way,
is the size of a small refridgerator).

Yes, she does have sisters, but their all married or CRAZY!

grigore
05-04-2005, 12:43 PM
Sorry guys, My wife is the gal that laughed when I brought home 7 mono block amplifiers, and my wife is the gal who sugested that we replace our old couch with theater seating.
I folded up a box to be the size of the sub and she barely noticed. (which buy the way,
is the size of a small refridgerator).

Yes, she does have sisters, but their all married or CRAZY!

How sound your JVC receiver? in Europe the JVC is very cheap and I'd like to buy one but whitout listening !

ptalar
05-10-2005, 07:34 PM
the only thing I regret is that it is way overkill...I got the 12Plus/2 in wood finish to get the paremetric equalizer...finally set it up last night using my SPL meter and AVIA DVD (for phase) and watched Matrix at a normal level...awesome..even at a normal listening level (-17 to -15 master volume on AVR = ~70db overall) the sub scared me a couple times...like when Morphius flies up in the air during the fight seen and puts his knee thru the floor...sounded and felt like someone put a knee thru my floor. And with the crossover set at 80Hz.....no directionality at all. That is with gain at about 25% and gain set to -5 on AVR setup menu. I will set the equalizer this weekend, but can't expect much more out of a sub....have fun and try not to break anything in your house the first day or so you have it!!!

Was it worth spending the extra money to get the equalizer. I bought the basic Plus/2. It sounds good enough. But does it sound better with the equalizer?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Phil

yogo
05-10-2005, 08:53 PM
As far as the need for bass eq, do a search for the Behringer Feedback Destroyer on this website. Good prices at the moment, jump on it.

Due to individual room acoustics and room sizes, you'll always (IMO,yada yada yada) need an eq to dial in your sub for flattest response in your room. Without it, a gabillion dollar sub may sound like crap in your room due to frequency peaks and valleys inherent in your room.

Many "boomy" or "weak" bass problems can be attributed to poor placemant of the sub or general room acoustics. Proper sub placement setup and the BFD will tame many of these peaks and valleys to produce a flatter and more satisfying low end.

Now for $100, Oy vey, feel like a shill....

swgiust
05-11-2005, 05:30 AM
Phil, if you look at my other post in this forum "SVS PB-12 ULTRA/2 Dead in 3 hours"
you'll see that my new sub died the first night I had it. My new amp is supposed to
come today, hoping to get it in this evening.

So to answer your question, I haven't had the chance to even really test the sub,
let alone set up the eq. I did however, have another sub that did have a 1 band
eq (Infinity with RABOS) and it did make a big difference.

thanks

ptalar
05-11-2005, 03:16 PM
Phil, if you look at my other post in this forum "SVS PB-12 ULTRA/2 Dead in 3 hours"
you'll see that my new sub died the first night I had it. My new amp is supposed to
come today, hoping to get it in this evening.

So to answer your question, I haven't had the chance to even really test the sub,
let alone set up the eq. I did however, have another sub that did have a 1 band
eq (Infinity with RABOS) and it did make a big difference.

thanks

Yes. I read your thread and made a copy of your disassembly procedure just in case. I am sure the plus/2 is similar but with lighter subs. By the way, have you heard of the Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro. Its a subwoofer equalizer. Any thoughts or experience with it?

Phil

swgiust
05-12-2005, 05:22 AM
I have not used one, but have seen many, many people on this site who have
them. All Iv'e ever read is that they work really well and that they only cost $ 100.00.
(start a thread, I bet you get LOTS of replys)

I would recommend running a test on your sub first. Use a test disk and a sound level
meter and see if you really have problems. My room has two peaks. one at about
60hz and one at about 35hz. neither is that big. 8db it think. I fixed the higher one
with the peq on the sub. I have heard that 5 or 6 db really is hard to hear, so 8db
is not that bad. Honestly couldn't really tell the difference when I was done.