Anyone else use flashlights to toe in speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else use flashlights to toe in speakers?

paul_pci
04-28-2005, 11:35 AM
I just got my two new Alpha Absorb panels (2X2) today and was contemplating placement. I'm going to place them on the wall the seating position is against which is 7X3; therefore the panels won't allow for contiguous coverage. So, it dawned on me to shine flashlights from my two front speakers to get an idea of how I might want to space these 2 panels, and I noticed that the convergence of these speakers was slightly off. Facing them, from the listening position, they appear properly toed in, but, again, they were slightly off.

So, I wanted to solicit two responses? Curiosity: does anyone else do this? And, secondly, any thoughts on placing two 2X2 panels along a 7X3 wall to minimize reflections. The listening position, I should point out is not centered along the 7' lengh but more to one end of it.

shokhead
04-28-2005, 12:14 PM
Laser. You can buy a pen lazer at RS i think. I have one that you use to level oic's on the wall that i use.

paul_pci
04-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Laser. You can buy a pen lazer at RS i think. I have one that you use to level oic's on the wall that i use.

Ah, yes, even better perhaps. With the spotlight from the flashlight, it was fairly easy to tell if the orbs (no pun intended) overlapped or lined up.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-28-2005, 12:41 PM
I also use a laser for toe in, and measuring distance. I have a laser system that can tell you a speakers distance from a wall, or from each other for precise setup.. Great toy.

shokhead
04-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Oh my,where d$d you get that. Sounds like my next toy.

Woochifer
04-28-2005, 04:49 PM
Oh my,where d$d you get that. Sounds like my next toy.

I got my wife a laser measurer as a stocking stuffer. Cost less than $20 at the hardware store.

Woochifer
04-28-2005, 05:00 PM
I just got my two new Alpha Absorb panels (2X2) today and was contemplating placement. I'm going to place them on the wall the seating position is against which is 7X3; therefore the panels won't allow for contiguous coverage. So, it dawned on me to shine flashlights from my two front speakers to get an idea of how I might want to space these 2 panels, and I noticed that the convergence of these speakers was slightly off. Facing them, from the listening position, they appear properly toed in, but, again, they were slightly off.

So, I wanted to solicit two responses? Curiosity: does anyone else do this? And, secondly, any thoughts on placing two 2X2 panels along a 7X3 wall to minimize reflections. The listening position, I should point out is not centered along the 7' lengh but more to one end of it.

I used an even cruder method -- I got a protractor and angled a couple of string segments at 55 degrees to position the L/R mains. For positioning the absorption panels, you could just extend that all the way to the wall. For my absorption panels, I just centered them right in the line of sight from the rear port. (my speakers are toed in so that they aim more for my shoulder than a center point) I got audibly better results when I covered the entire front wall with absorption panels. But, I knew the look of that was testing my wife's patience, so my current setup uses only three panels -- one behind each speaker.

7x3 wall?! That's either a very narrow or very short wall. In general, sound absorption is recommended for the front wall and at the reflection points along the side wall (you can find the reflection point by sitting down and having someone go along the sidewall with mirror -- where you see the tweeter reflecting in the mirror is the reflection point that you should cover).

paul_pci
04-28-2005, 08:52 PM
I used an even cruder method -- I got a protractor and angled a couple of string segments at 55 degrees to position the L/R mains. For positioning the absorption panels, you could just extend that all the way to the wall. For my absorption panels, I just centered them right in the line of sight from the rear port. (my speakers are toed in so that they aim more for my shoulder than a center point) I got audibly better results when I covered the entire front wall with absorption panels. But, I knew the look of that was testing my wife's patience, so my current setup uses only three panels -- one behind each speaker.

7x3 wall?! That's either a very narrow or very short wall. In general, sound absorption is recommended for the front wall and at the reflection points along the side wall (you can find the reflection point by sitting down and having someone go along the sidewall with mirror -- where you see the tweeter reflecting in the mirror is the reflection point that you should cover).

I know what you are saying, and the measurement is odd but that's because the space above the headboard is three feet to the ceiling and 7 feet width to where there are two windows on either side. I've done what I can with side reflections (bookcases) ,but I think the issue is reflections from the rear wall right where I sit. Right now I've got your standard, ugly acoustical foam panel and I like the results which is why I ordered a more aesthetic version with a fabric wrapped fiberglass panel. And, I was was thinking about cutting out sections from the foam one and putting them behind the front speakers, like you were saying about the fabric, or whathave you.