Sony DVD player broken?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sony DVD player broken??

MCF
04-28-2005, 11:01 AM
I just noticed within the last week or so that when watching DVD's that a 'wave' occasionally goes up the screen? It happens once about every 5-10 minutes and is like a line of video going up the screen. Is the DVD player bad? I checked all the connections. Probably just a coincidence, but it seems like it started doing this about a day after I got my new sub which I was driving super hard shaking everything in the house (and neighbors apparently)...is it possible I vibrated the DVD to break?

LEAFS264
04-28-2005, 11:36 AM
I had that happen to me with my Sony dvp360, My first player. It was a bad cable. Might not be the same in you case though,but a good place to start.

Jay

MCF
04-28-2005, 11:44 AM
since I am running both component and S-video to my AVR, I will watch a movie with S-video and another with component...I guess if makes it do it, it must be a bad cable...if both do it, it must be the player.

LEAFS264
04-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Or your Receiver!! If both cables make the wave...try going right to the tv and see what happens

Jay

MCF
04-28-2005, 01:06 PM
but don't have same problem watching time warner cable which is connected the same way as the DVD.....I may try another DVD player and see what happens....

MCF
05-02-2005, 05:04 AM
I checked my system and cables...have S-Video from DVD to reciever and S-Video from Time Warner HD box to reciever and have both S-video and component going from reciever to tv (allows me to switch input to tv from S-video to component and reciever auto switches from S-video in component out if I have input to tv set to component). When watching DVD's or tv, once in a while (about 5-10 minutes), I get the 'wave' I described above. Late last night I powered everything off and unplugged everything to hopefully 're-boot' everything, but did not have a chance to watch must to see if it helped any. I went straight from the HD box to the tv with standard AV cables and the problem seemed to disappear. Sounds like a problem with the reciever? What in the AVR would cause this (if it is the AVR)??