Is it easy to Burn out DVD (recorder) Lasers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is it easy to Burn out DVD (recorder) Lasers?

hershon
04-27-2005, 04:16 PM
I apparently just burned out my DVD recorder laser which luckily enough is under extended warranty so no problem getting it fixed or replaced for free. My question is, will most DVD recorders if you use them fairly often eventually have the lasers burn out? If so, is there any way of knowing which DVD recorder player's lasers will last longer- or does this make no difference or not worth the price on the difference? Does the same thing happen with DVD players as well? I think Mr. Leaf implied (if I misunderstood I applogize) that the more expensive DVD players have a longer laser life than the cheaper ones. Any clarification would be appreciated.

anamorphic96
04-27-2005, 04:19 PM
What prompted you to think it was the laser ?

LEAFS264
04-27-2005, 04:57 PM
No, to my knowledge they all use the same laser.

hershon
04-27-2005, 05:14 PM
What prompted you to think it was the laser ?

I called the company and spoke to the tech guy who was useful. Basically what happened is
when I load a blank DVD+R in, its not recognizing anything is in the recorder. I tried the same thing with a commercially recorded DVD (the recorder will play as well as record). Same result. The tech guy had me try to reboot the recorder from the set up twice which I did to no avail. He thought that it sound like the laser had burned out.

anamorphic96
04-27-2005, 05:18 PM
How old is the unit ? Do you use it alot ?

hershon
04-27-2005, 06:07 PM
How old is the unit ? Do you use it alot ?

It's about 6 months old. I do use it quite a bit & am very happy with the results. For what it cost me $170 its been a good deal - Lite on DVD Recorder 5001 stand alone recorder that I record TV shows on and transfer videos to DVD's & its not problem getting this fixed as its under warranty but I have to spend my time and bring it back to Circuit City.

shokhead
04-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Maybe just dirty?