Tannoy Surround questions. please help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tannoy Surround questions. please help

RTilbury
04-26-2005, 10:51 PM
Hello, I just bought a pair of new tannoy fusion 4 speakers to replace the mx4s that i had. I got a killer deal on them and am selling the mx4s to a friend. I am wondering what the surrounds are made of; foam, rubber, something else? I think they are the same as the mx4s but i dont know what those surrounds are made of either. My friend poked the surround to see what it felt like so it bent in a bit, it popped back of course but i was quite mad, it wasnt hard at all but i am wondering how sensitive they are to pokes or something like that. Does touching the material or poking it to see how it bends destroy it? How much can they withstand? Do they break easily? It seems like they would have to be pretty strong to withstand constant shaking from the bass notes. Nothing seems wrong with the foam at all, atleast i cant see anything wrong with it. I am quite anal about these things as you can tell, please help me. I wish i didnt care about these things as much as i do, but hey they are brand new speakers!

Peter Duminy
04-27-2005, 10:07 AM
Tannoy use Nitrile Rubber for their surrounds on 99% of their models now. I wouldn't worry too much about touching them - they are quite robust :-)

RTilbury
04-27-2005, 03:05 PM
Tannoy use Nitrile Rubber for their surrounds on 99% of their models now. I wouldn't worry too much about touching them - they are quite robust :-)

Thank you! I can rest easy now and enjoy the new speakers. They sound amazing, i highly recommend them for anyone looking at floorstanders. I upgraded from the Tannoy mx4 and these are a great improvement.

Peter Duminy
04-27-2005, 06:22 PM
Thank you! I can rest easy now and enjoy the new speakers (#). They sound amazing, i highly recommend them for anyone looking at floorstanders. I upgraded from the Tannoy mx4 and these are a great improvement.

You are very welcome! Tannoy make excellent products. :)