All New Level III???? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : All New Level III????

oddeoowphil38
04-26-2005, 09:15 AM
Hello forum members. Have any of you seen the all new Level II and Level III speakers at Home Theater Direct? The Level III now use a ribbon tweeter with a 3rd order or 18 db/octave X-over. They sure look nice. What do any of you think about them? Are there any members here have any experience with Home Theater Direct? What do the older Level III sound like? What would you compare them to? Feel free to elaborate....................... :cool:

yogo
04-26-2005, 08:34 PM
I cound't find any speakers with ribbon tweeters when I just checked Home Theater Direct.

Provide a link?

oddeoowphil38
04-27-2005, 08:00 AM
Yogo, go to the hometheater.com page and click level III. There you will see the new speakers with ribbon tweeters.

IRG
04-27-2005, 10:08 AM
Yogo, go to the hometheater.com page and click level III. There you will see the new speakers with ribbon tweeters.

I've looked at this company for a while, but don't know anyone who owns their products. Anyone care to comment on the level 3 subwoofer? 22hz at -3db, 12" and 200 watt RMS amp ain't too shabby, especially for $309. And a money back guarantee. I may give this one a try.

oddeoowphil38
04-27-2005, 05:12 PM
Hello there IRG can't say I blame you. I have talked to them a few times and I must say they are truly nice people. I may even do the same down the road but right now Ascend Acoustics has peaked my curiosity the most. Havr any experience with them?

IRG
04-28-2005, 04:52 AM
Hello there IRG can't say I blame you. I have talked to them a few times and I must say they are truly nice people. I may even do the same down the road but right now Ascend Acoustics has peaked my curiosity the most. Havr any experience with them?

No I have no experience with any of the mail order retailers. Axiom, Aperion, or this one. Not that they are bad - Axiom has gotten a lot of nice press, as has Ascend. I prefer now to go with local dealers so I can hear and feel the stuff first, and most good dealers are willing to accomodate you in other ways a mail order company can't. For example, I recently bought a great NAD T-743 receiver ($699) for $80. I did so because I traded in some older equipment for what I thought was a very fair price. I also bought a pair of Paradigm Monitor 3 speakers from another local dealer for $100 below list because they were the v3 models, and newer v4 models were coming out soon. But new otherwise.

I've been having more trouble though, with my sub purchase. I can't find anything locally that is the equivalent to what SVS or Hsu or Adireaudio sells. So for this purchase, I will probably go mail order, and I am leaning towards the SVS right now. There are just so many positive reviews on this company, and for HTD, I don't think there are hardly any reviews on their subs - especially this new one that still hasn't shipped out yet. But the numbers are impressive, and so is the price. But for $100-200 more, I can have the Hsu or SVS and know I have one of the best subs for the money. And resale is important too. They will resell well. Very doubtful you could resell the HTD subs or speakers for very much. Go with companies like Paradigm and B&W, and you know that they will sell for more than you think on places like eBay or Audiogon. If you don't sell your own stuff very often, that might not make a difference to you, but it does for me. irg