which sv sub? svs sub? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : which sv sub? svs sub?

pluckyduck
04-25-2005, 10:47 AM
I am going to upgrade my current sub and I have decided to go with an SVS sub. But there are so many options that I have no idea which one to get. I have pretty much decided to go with a dual-sub setup. What is the big difference between the PCi and the PC-Plus? Another key question is are the tubes alot better than their boxes? Would a PB12-Plus/2 perform nearly as well as 2 PC-Plus subs? And what about getting the unpowered versions? It seems like it would be cheaper to get 2 CS Plus subs with an external amp. Sorry for all the questions.

Florian
04-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Well i have no clue about SVS subs, but 2 subs will not give you any louder volume. they will smoothen out the response but also will give you headaches with there waves canceling each other out. I had 2 subs in my old HT, and loved it but they were picky on placment.

BTW. What made you choose the SVS?

pluckyduck
04-25-2005, 05:33 PM
I chose the svs subs because of their overwhelming good reviews from many top audiophile websites. From the reviews I have read the svs cannot be beat in the under $2000 price range. I agree that a multiple sub setup will be tricky which is why I am leaning towards their PB12-Plus/2 model which incorporates two 12" woofers in a single cabinet.

IRG
04-27-2005, 11:25 AM
Well i have no clue about SVS subs, but 2 subs will not give you any louder volume. they will smoothen out the response but also will give you headaches with there waves canceling each other out. I had 2 subs in my old HT, and loved it but they were picky on placment.

BTW. What made you choose the SVS?

Just a question, but why won't 2 subs, vs 1 not offer more volume? This seems counterintuitive to me. If they are powered subs, let's say 200 watts each, and if I have two hooked up to my receiver (I have 2 sub inputs on my NAD) wouldn't there be twice the volume as before - or at least more volume? I always thought that with larger rooms, when people are told to use 2 subs, it is because 1 won't be loud enough in a room this size. Conversely if 2 subs are used in a small/med room it might be too much volume. Anyway, just curious if you could explain this to me, or anyone else for that matter. Thanks.