Good point to set sub crossover question? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Good point to set sub crossover question?

MCF
04-25-2005, 09:53 AM
Got my SVS PB-12/2 sub and was wondering about the crossover setting. All my other speakers are set to small. In the setup menu of my HK-AVR 635 I also set the crossover for all the speakers to 80Hz (even though that should not matter since they are set to small). I originally had my old JBL 10" sub set at 100Hz using the reciever. With the new sub, I felt it was a little 'boomy' at 100Hz so I lowered it to 80Hz. Now all speakers and th sub are at 80Hz. I know there should be some overlap, but I understand that there will be some overlap between the speakers and sub even though they are all set at 80Hz since I am using the reciever to set the crossover point for the sub. Any thoughts??

topspeed
04-25-2005, 03:16 PM
Whatever sounds best to you. Generally, you should set the xover to slightly above where your mains start to roll off. Are your mains standmounts, therefore requiring the "small" setting? If they are floorstanders you'd be better off with them set to "large" unless you have room interaction problems. Assuming they are standmounts, you don't want to set the xover much higher than 80hz as the bass will become directional (if it isn't already). Bottom line tho, it's really whatever sounds best to you.

Enjoy your new sub.

Woochifer
04-25-2005, 10:51 PM
The crossover setting does matter. 80 Hz is a good starting point and you should try out other crossover points and see which one gives you the best overall sound. The dropoff rate at the low end for the mains should be identical to the rate of increase with the subwoofer. In general, how well the mains and subwoofer blend together will depend on the positioning, the level matching, and the room acoustics. If you put your subwoofer into a corner, it will have a very different response curve than if you place it between the mains speakers along the middle of the front wall. This is due to boundary effects created by the room acoustics, and how different they are in different spots in the room

You also need to verify the proper level matching by using a SPL meter. Your ear alone is not precise enough to properly match the level between the sub and the mains.

There are plenty of things you can tweak with the subwoofer. Go with whatever sounds best to you, but definitely read up on the proper setup guidelines so you can establish a reference point and then tweak with the sound from there.

shokhead
04-26-2005, 06:22 AM
Got my SVS PB-12/2 sub and was wondering about the crossover setting. All my other speakers are set to small. In the setup menu of my HK-AVR 635 I also set the crossover for all the speakers to 80Hz (even though that should not matter since they are set to small). I originally had my old JBL 10" sub set at 100Hz using the reciever. With the new sub, I felt it was a little 'boomy' at 100Hz so I lowered it to 80Hz. Now all speakers and th sub are at 80Hz. I know there should be some overlap, but I understand that there will be some overlap between the speakers and sub even though they are all set at 80Hz since I am using the reciever to set the crossover point for the sub. Any thoughts??

Why wouldnt it matter? Nothing under 80{more or less} would go to the speakers when set to small but if you set to 60,then your speakers will get more down to 60.

enrique
04-26-2005, 06:56 AM
Why dont you just disable the sub or set it to the highest point since your setting the speakers to small and are using the receiver's crossover.

MCF
04-26-2005, 11:06 AM
The crossover setting does matter. 80 Hz is a good starting point and you should try out other crossover points and see which one gives you the best overall sound. The dropoff rate at the low end for the mains should be identical to the rate of increase with the subwoofer. In general, how well the mains and subwoofer blend together will depend on the positioning, the level matching, and the room acoustics. If you put your subwoofer into a corner, it will have a very different response curve than if you place it between the mains speakers along the middle of the front wall. This is due to boundary effects created by the room acoustics, and how different they are in different spots in the room

You also need to verify the proper level matching by using a SPL meter. Your ear alone is not precise enough to properly match the level between the sub and the mains.

There are plenty of things you can tweak with the subwoofer. Go with whatever sounds best to you, but definitely read up on the proper setup guidelines so you can establish a reference point and then tweak with the sound from there.

Just found out that the crossover cutoff of my reciever when speaker are set to small is 120Hz. Anything below that is sent to the sub. If I set my sub at 80Hz, doesn't that mean there is a gap left out between 120Hz and 80Hz?? Should I set my speakers to large and set the crossover for them to 100Hz or 80Hz or should I increase the sub crossover to 120Hz (seems high for a sub).

MCF
04-26-2005, 11:37 AM
Even when speakers are set to small, I can still adjust crossover to 80Hz and then use 80Hz as a starting point for the sub...

shokhead
04-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Even when speakers are set to small, I can still adjust crossover to 80Hz and then use 80Hz as a starting point for the sub...

If your using the LFE,the single cable from reciever to sub,that bypasses the subs x over so your only using the one on the reciever.

nick250
04-27-2005, 05:18 AM

It is my understanding that one uses either the cross over on the sub or the cross over on the receiver but not both. So if you are using the receiver for setting the cross over then on your sub you should turn it up as high as it will go or some subs have a "defeat" switch which turns off the cross over on the sub. If you are using the sub for setting your cross over then you should turn off the cross over fuction on your receiver.

Holmes_19
05-06-2005, 12:47 AM
Just found out that the crossover cutoff of my reciever when speaker are set to small is 120Hz. Anything below that is sent to the sub. If I set my sub at 80Hz, doesn't that mean there is a gap left out between 120Hz and 80Hz?? Should I set my speakers to large and set the crossover for them to 100Hz or 80Hz or should I increase the sub crossover to 120Hz (seems high for a sub).

hi i am a casual listener so i don't know the insides outs of speakers but i do know that even if you have a gap between the cut off on your sub and speakers, the sub may stop working (if active) but the speakers are passive and so will still produce sound sop their is no worry there!!

I just bought 5 b+w speakers with a yamaha yst sw90 sub, the speakers are 4 601's and the centre cc6 speaker. I have the sub crossover set to 110 hz and the speakers set to 200HZ!!!!!!!! but this does not mean that they stop working because these speakers are amazing especially with the sub and they both work superbly well, the speakers easily hit lower than the receiver 200 hz cut off point so don't worry

What do you think about my buy? i bought these speakers with the sub and a pioneer vsx 808 rds receiver all for £100 good buy?

shokhead
05-06-2005, 05:30 AM
hi i am a casual listener so i don't know the insides outs of speakers but i do know that even if you have a gap between the cut off on your sub and speakers, the sub may stop working (if active) but the speakers are passive and so will still produce sound sop their is no worry there!!

I just bought 5 b+w speakers with a yamaha yst sw90 sub, the speakers are 4 601's and the centre cc6 speaker. I have the sub crossover set to 110 hz and the speakers set to 200HZ!!!!!!!! but this does not mean that they stop working because these speakers are amazing especially with the sub and they both work superbly well, the speakers easily hit lower than the receiver 200 hz cut off point so don't worry

What do you think about my buy? i bought these speakers with the sub and a pioneer vsx 808 rds receiver all for £100 good buy?

I havew the B&W's. The 601's are good for surrounds but imo,a tad small for mains.602's would work better but having a sub with them will help alot. I would go with 80 or 100Hz for the x over. Are you running the single cable LFE from the receiver to the sub?