New Poll!! "Biggest WTF????!!!! Movie of All Time" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Poll!! "Biggest WTF????!!!! Movie of All Time"

Worf101
04-25-2005, 06:06 AM
You know, what I'm talking about a movie so bizarre, so strange as to defy description. You leave (either early or when it's over) and you find yourself mutter "WTF" did I just see? Trust, I've seen a few doozies. I might not get em all but here's some worthy nominations.

Da "What da **** did I just see?" Worfster :confused:

MomurdA
04-25-2005, 07:28 AM
Ive only seen one of those movies on your list, so my vote goes to that one, Donnie Darko. Huge WTF after i saw it the first time. I have seen it seince then and it is a very good movie imo.

kexodusc
04-25-2005, 08:06 AM
Whore gets my vote...man, what a stupid movie...Worst part is there, a sequel.
This is a WTF in a bad way...
Donnie Darko was excellent.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-25-2005, 10:34 AM
I chose Caligula. I didn't know my butt from a hole in the ground after watching this movie. Too much sex, violence, and just plain craziness for me to really get into. After watching it twice, I still think the story line is a bit crazy.

Worf101
04-25-2005, 12:07 PM
Have seen every last, stinkin' one of these flicks. I own Caligula and loved Nappy TNT. I walked OUT on "Whore" Hey Kex, you're gonna have prove to me they made a sequel. I personally voted for "Eraserhead" David Lynch's first flick. He was/is about the sickest person ever to direct a film if you ask me. Makes Fellini look like a boy scout. First movie in my life I ever saw and had absolutely NO idea what the hell was going on from start to finish. Now I'm not Al Einstein but I'm not Grogg the Caveman either I've never, ever been more confused about watching a film in my entire life even to this day....

Da Worfster :confused:

kexodusc
04-25-2005, 12:54 PM
Worfster:
I was at first a bit upset that I had to revisit this travesty again, but once I looked into it, I found that apparently Whore 2 is a documentary not related at all to Ken Russell's bomb...but rather a supposedly good documentary with a very misleading name.
Thank goodness for that.

Whore still was pretty bad though...I couldn't finish it either, and I was a horny 17 year old kid when I saw it.

Shwamdoo
04-25-2005, 01:02 PM
Eraserhead is definitly a WTF movie. In fact, I can't even think of another way to describe it...

Kam
04-25-2005, 01:37 PM
can throw Boxing Helena by david's daughter in the WTF category along with Mullholand Drive and nearly anything with a lynch attached to it!

Defshep
04-25-2005, 02:10 PM
What about A Clockwork Orange? From the list, has to be Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Mass confusion, blood, screams. The fact that it was shot so cheaply only added to the "documentary" feel of it. No film has successfully reproduced the chaotic and absolutely terrifying atmosphere that surrounds this movie.

cam
04-25-2005, 06:18 PM
Texas Chainsaw Massacre was the only movie from the list that I have seen, so that's my vote. I was muttering WTF to myself several times during the movie. And when it was over, my wife said she quite liked it, I turned and looked at her and said WHAT THE F@#K!

eisforelectronic
04-25-2005, 07:09 PM
Texas Chainsaw Massacre was the only movie from the list that I have seen, so that's my vote. I was muttering WTF to myself several times during the movie. And when it was over, my wife said she quite liked it, I turned and looked at her and said WHAT THE F@#K!

Jessica Biel sweaty is a good thing no matter what is going on in the movie.

Worf101
04-25-2005, 07:23 PM

Mwhaaaa ha ha haa......
Chrotle...
Wheeze.....
Tears......

Hurting ribs...

Stop I can't take anymore...

Da Worfster :D

Worf101
04-25-2005, 07:24 PM
can throw Boxing Helena by david's daughter in the WTF category along with Mullholand Drive and nearly anything with a lynch attached to it!

You're our resident film maker and mave, cept for perhaps Sir Turribble... I KNOW you've seen all if not most of these... Rate and rake em, let a brother know what's what!!!!

Da Worfster :o :p

20to20K
04-25-2005, 07:25 PM
....liking a lot of WTF movies but I'll do the old Bill Murruy SNL routine so...based on the movies on your list that I've seen I'd have to vote for EraserHead. I believe this is a John Waters flick (some of which I like) but even this one I couldn't hang with.

Someone mentioned Mulholland Drive and I thought that was an awesome movie...and I don't always like Lynch movies either.

Probably the most famous WTF movie of all-time (based on what I've read) was
2001: A Space Odyssey which left millions muttering to themselves when it was released apparently. Pretty lame on the WTF scale by todays standard...but another Kubrick flick to add to the list. Another was A.I. which millions hated (But I also strangely enjoyed!)

It must be me...

Worf101
04-25-2005, 07:29 PM
I chose Caligula. I didn't know my butt from a hole in the ground after watching this movie. Too much sex, violence, and just plain craziness for me to really get into. After watching it twice, I still think the story line is a bit crazy.

Lesse, your butt.... the hole in da ground....
Your tuckus... da sink hole...
Your buns.... a sooouie hole...

LOL, I'm dyin here...

Thanks your Lairdship....

Da "your ever humble servant" Worfster :)

Kam
04-26-2005, 06:01 AM
You're our resident film maker and mave, cept for perhaps Sir Turribble... I KNOW you've seen all if not most of these... Rate and rake em, let a brother know what's what!!!!

Da Worfster :o :p

well the only one i havent seen is Whore, which by the sound of it, i might keep it that way. but the WTF? category can span quite a few types of WTF? and the list crosses the WTF? sub-genres.
There's
1) WTF? why did i just watch that? that was a POS (piece of s___!!).
2) WTF? what just happenned? hello? ANYONE? what happenned????
3) WTF? that was effin' amazing! that was a POS (primarily ocularly spectactular!!)
4) WTF? What the...? holy crap that was just.. .WTF?

So given those subgenres... i voted for Eraserhead (lynch) because it crossed nearly all the genres and somehow manages to be both 1 and 3 at the same time. Donnie Darko i thought was #2 and #3 and #4, but even then not as much as eraserhead and DD i also like a lot more than eraserhead.

Napolean i thought was a solid #3, one of my fav movies from last year which (imo) proves simpler is better and how a pitch like that never works in hollywood. (What's it about? A kids senior year in high school. What happens? well... not much, he helps a friend run for class president. Oh! So it's like Election crossed with....? Well nothing, it's not really like Election, he's also a misfit. SO it's Election crossed with Breakfast Club? Well not really... he also has a brother that's kind of weird. Like Chet from Weird Science? No, not like that, it's different from those... etc.etc.etc. ) love a movie you cant really classify other than "it's just damn good."
Caligula goes into a solid #4, especially the unrated version where... it really was... what.... what the..... what the... WTF? why? what? who?
TCSM - the original was #2 the remake was #1. in the original when you hear that strange pig squeeling noise and leatherface pulls the dooropen, grabs the guy, and shuts it. That was a serious #2 moment, and then the final dining room sequence when they wheel out grandpa... that was BIG time #2. the remake was all #1.
Bad Lietuenant (unrated) was a solid #4 as well. keitel was just awesome and just, well.. so bad.
Blue Velvet is also up there as a #2,3,4, pretty much all due to hopper. and even stranger is he came up with a LOT o that character himself, lynch had him improvise a lot of the scenes with kyle mchlaughlin and just old him to play off of hopper, which mchlaughlin said was easy since he was just freakin' scared of hopper. think of that with the: "you wanna go for a ride, neighbor?" sequence and the "i'll send you a love letter" part. Scary.

but... my final vote still goes to eraserhead. lynch is the master of WTF?

peaces
k2

Defshep
04-26-2005, 02:51 PM
I'm guessing you meant the original "Chainsaw", Worfster. That's the one I voted on. The remake was okay, but not as disorienting as the film on which it was based.

dean_martin
04-26-2005, 03:05 PM
My definition of a WTF movie is one that astonishes, but is not easily grasped on first viewing, and sometimes multiple viewings and even a little web research don't reveal the entire meaning of the movie. I also understand that some crap movies may get a "WTF?" in the form of a disgusted, excited utterance, and that shock may give rise to a WTF if severe enough (see John Waters flicks listed below), but my comments and my vote are based on my first definition.

I narrowed these down to 3: Donnie Darko, Blue Velvet, Eraserhead.

Donnie Darko - This film had me on the edge of my seat on first viewing. My first impression was that this was a hard-to-follow time travel movie similar to Butterfly Effect, but with a better story and characters. But the time travel theory didn't hold together with the storyline. After doing a little online research and viewing the extras on dvd, it became evident that the movie actually dealt with travelling between alternative universes. Brilliant! This realization still didn't make the film fit together nicely like a puzzle, but it sure explained a lot. I must add that I despise Patrick Swayze, so I was pleasantly surprised by his character. If I was going to put Swayze in a movie, that's the role I would have him play - a fake self-help guru and child molester. This film provided much discussion in my household and the prospect of traveling between alternative universes fascinated my teenage son. But I didn't vote for this one.

Blue Velvet - OK. I'm a huge Lynch fan. I even have all the episodes of his failed tv series "On the Air". I'm a Twin Peaks fan and although most people hated Twin Peaks - Fire Walk with Me, I enjoyed it. Blue Velvet blew me away the first time I saw it. It got a big "WTF", but the storyline wasn't that odd; however, the characters were. I'm still not sure I've picked up on all the many layers of symbolism depicted by the camera. Dean Stockwell's lip-synching "In Dreams" is one of my all-time favorite movie scenes. Dennis Hopper's performance is scary. But I didn't vote for this one.

Eraserhead - WTF? I can't say much more about this disturbing piece of Lynch cinema. It's not that susceptible to multiple viewings either. It's dark, depressing, disturbing, and uncomfortable. The industrial noises are grating and go on until they're almost unbearable. It's practically indiscernible. This one gets my vote as the biggest WTF movie from the list and perhaps of all time, at least until I track down and see this one:

http://www.hotweird.com/jodorowsky/topo.html

I've read that El Topo is the midnight movie at a theater in NYC and has been on a successful run since January. Catch it if you can.

Not listed are a few John Waters flicks that surely get a big WTF whether you can sit through them or not - Female Trouble, Polyester, Desperate Living, and Multiple Maniacs being the most notorious. Another early shock master was Hershell Gordon Lewis. 2,000 Maniacs, Blood Feast, Wizard of Gore, and She Devils on Wheels are recommended, but only for the strong hearted.

There's a whole slew of Euro and Asian Bizarro flicks that would probably take the WTF prize if you could see them here.

Worf101
04-26-2005, 08:27 PM
That's the kind of exposition I was talking about!!!! I respect people with well thought out opinions and expertise superior to my own and you guys rate and educate which is a wonderful thang... 20 20K you get a gold star too for pointing out the one film I shoulda had on here... "2001 a Space Oddesy". You pointed out the biggest flaw in my list. That had the whole world doing a collective WTF over the last 20 minutes or so. WOW what a movie but I watch it EVERY time I can... Now just waiting of Sir Tof T to chime in and any others as well...

Da Worfster :cool:

Geoffcin
04-27-2005, 03:10 PM
I'm surprised that no one yet mentioned "Eyes Wide Shut" that movie had some serious WTF properties.

For TV movies/series; was I the only one to watch "Wild Palms" WTF?!