Another "choosing a sub" question..... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Another "choosing a sub" question.....

AVJunior
04-24-2005, 08:12 PM
I'm just a beginner, now looking at the PSB Subsonic 5i, JBL E250 and the Velodyne DLS-3750R/ CHT-10R.

PSB is deep, flat response, but not loud enough.

JBL is very loud, but not deep enough.

Have not heard the Velodyne. Do you think the Velodyne is a clear winner?

FYI, 60% movie.

Thanks.

N. Abstentia
04-24-2005, 08:22 PM
In that price range, I wouldn't buy anything before trying SVS or HSU.

3db
04-25-2005, 04:26 AM
I'm just a beginner, now looking at the PSB Subsonic 5i, JBL E250 and the Velodyne DLS-3750R/ CHT-10R.

FYI, 60% movie.

Thanks.

How big is your room that you are using it in?. If its not a big room, than the PSB is what I recommend over the JBL anyway. I've not heard the Velodyne so I cannot comment. You mentioned that PSB had the two most important attributes, deep and flat response. That makes it a much easier task integrating into your room and into your existing HT set-up. Imagine trying to integrate something peaky like the JBL. Lots of boom in certain frequencies, and then quiet in others. Makes for a terrible sounding set-up.

I have the older Subsonic5 and I'm very pleased with it. I use it mainly fot HT but I do use it when listening to some classical music when pipe organs are being used. Good luck

Worf101
04-25-2005, 05:54 AM
In that price range, I wouldn't buy anything before trying SVS or HSU.

Listen to him man, he speaketh the troof!

Da Worfster :cool:

IRG
04-25-2005, 06:35 AM

FYI, 60% movie.

Thanks.

I had posted some time ago about subs. So at one time the PSB had been on my list, the JBL too, and Velodyne. What I wanted was the Adire Audio sub, but right now it can't be ordered, as the company is changing its business structure a little bit. The HSU and SVS are back on my list because overall, they are definitely superior subs although they cost a bit more. But once you have a very good sub, you aren't likely to replace it often, unlike some other components in your system. Velodyne makes good subs, but their lower ranges (like the DLR, and DPS) are not as good as their upper ranges, and have too many compromises to them.

The other choice is to go to Part Express and buy the DIY kits. They have a 10" model for $350 that has been very well reviewed, and a 12" that is also supposed to be quite good, but is about $200 more. Seem like easy kits to put together. The 10" might be preferable for music if your room isn't large, but the 12" would be better for HT especially in a larger room. Something to consider, and these subs are probably better than the ones you have listed.

The PSB subsonic 6 might be a good model to consider if you found the 5 not loud enought. Paradigm also makes some decent subs, and I would (and am) considering them as a viable alternative to the JBL and Velodyne subs.

Other than these choices, the prices for subs can be quite high, and I don't think there is a direct correlation to price and performance here. A 12" Partsexpress sub could easily be compared to some $1k+ subs out there.

AVJunior
04-25-2005, 07:53 PM
Yeah, most probably i'll leave out the JBL. will listen to some SVS or HSU. but have to listen to the velodyne first coz they are cheaper. Anyone heard the Velodyne DLS-3750R? the one wif a remote control?

IRG
04-26-2005, 05:28 AM
Yeah, most probably i'll leave out the JBL. will listen to some SVS or HSU. but have to listen to the velodyne first coz they are cheaper. Anyone heard the Velodyne DLS-3750R? the one wif a remote control?

I read a review for it recently - go to ecoustics.com and search for it. Overall, not a very good review. The remote and all of the presets are sort of gimmicky. It might be ok, but not the real reason why you would buy a quality sub. Also, read the reviews of HSU and SVS - pretty compelling most of the time. Their product ranges aren't as deep as Velodyne, but they don't make any crap models either.

Beckman
04-26-2005, 01:04 PM

FYI, 60% movie.

Thanks.
The only way to tell what sub will sound best in your room is to try out several. I used to own a 12" Velodyne, but switched to a 10" Infinity because the 12" was just too much for the room I was using it in. Don't assume because a sub isn't loud enough in a store it won't be loud enough in your listening room. Also, just moving a sub into a corner a few inches can have a huge impact on loudness and depth.

This Guy
04-26-2005, 03:06 PM
why couldn't you have just turned the volume of the Velodyne down rather than buying a whole new sub?

Geoffcin
04-26-2005, 06:23 PM

FYI, 60% movie.

Thanks.

There's a lot of good info that's pretty recent on this subject.