Opinions on Frogg Cafe [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Frogg Cafe

Mr Peabody
04-24-2005, 02:06 PM
I recently bought Frogg Cafe's 2nd album Creatures. What got me interested in this group was the fact that the violinist from Kansas played on some of the songs. I liked the album but in a luke warm manner. It didn't get me excited the way that Ozric Tentacles or Tangent did when I first discovered them. I realize that with Prog one should expect some twists and turns but this album lacks something. The second half of the album is really very good but the first is like they couldn't make up their mind what direction to go or they had several ideas and went from one to another without fully expanding on one before leaving. For instance, the Creatures has parts 1, 2 & 3 but there isn't anything that ties the 3 together.

I just wondered if anyone else has heard this album or the group and wanted to share your impression. Their first album is quite different from the second, I did not care for the audio samples.

richmon
04-25-2005, 05:33 AM
I just wondered if anyone else has heard this album or the group and wanted to share your impression. Their first album is quite different from the second, I did not care for the audio samples.

Since they're playing Nearfest this year, I listened to samples from Creatures and came away lukewarm too, my snap judgement was they're Echolynlike, or Happy the Man lite. Got a chance to get a CDR of Creatures (thanks Barry) and was impressed with the first song, but find some of the rest a bit noodley, although I really like about half the disk.

Promising band, if they get better at songwriting, they've got chopz fer sure, I'll be keeping an ear out for their next release.

ForeverAutumn
04-25-2005, 09:27 AM
I've only given Creatures one spin and also found it kind of noodley (and, if I remember correctly, downright weird in spots). I need to spend more time with it, but let's just say that the first listen didn't have me hitting the repeat button.

I think that Barry thought more highly of it, but he's probably spent more time with it than I have. You'll have to wait and see if he weighs in with his own opinion.

Davey
04-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Orchestra? Man, that was a fun album. Anyone remember those guys? Always loved that cover. Sorry, don't know the Frogg Cafe, but wanted to say something :)

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drd800/d857/d85767m1n24.jpg

BarryL
04-25-2005, 01:25 PM
I liked the album but in a luke warm manner. like they couldn't make up their mind what direction to go or they had several ideas and went from one to another without fully expanding on one before leaving.

I bought creatures based on a sampler CD with one of the songs. What I really liked about the album was the versatility. You'll find my review somewhere on this site. I'm not sure how you look up older links.

Each of the first four songs has a very distinctive sound of different prog bands. One reminded me of Ambrosia, some of it of Kansas, one tune of King Crimson, etc. The different styles make it discontinuous to listen to, and its definitely 70s prog sounding. I found it to be a nice surprise and thought it was a worthwhile purchase.

On the other hand, I bought some Zen Rock & Roll CDs which I was very disappointed by.

ForeverAutumn
04-25-2005, 01:45 PM
I bought creatures based on a sampler CD with one of the songs. What I really liked about the album was the versatility. You'll find my review somewhere on this site. I'm not sure how you look up older links.

Each of the first four songs has a very distinctive sound of different prog bands. One reminded me of Ambrosia, some of it of Kansas, one tune of King Crimson, etc. The different styles make it discontinuous to listen to, and its definitely 70s prog sounding. I found it to be a nice surprise and thought it was a worthwhile purchase.

On the other hand, I bought some Zen Rock & Roll CDs which I was very disappointed by.

Actually, if you scroll down this page to the "similar threads" section, you'll see a link to Barry's review.

BarryL
05-04-2005, 06:34 AM
Actually, if you scroll down this page to the "similar threads" section, you'll see a link to Barry's review.

Didn't know there was a similar threads section. Nice touch.