some burned cds = static. anyone know why? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : some burned cds = static. anyone know why?

KEXPMF
04-24-2005, 12:14 PM
Has anyone experienced this? I'm not sure if it's my cd player (which is quite old)?
The songs on SOME burned cds have static and sometimes so badly that the song just stops. To fix the problem, I simply make a copy of the cd (using Roxio) and the copy works perfectly. I just noticed this on 2 of Jar's comps but I've noticed it before also.
Anyone know what causes this on SOME cds but not on others and why copying the cd fixes it? Just curious.

Wireworm5
04-24-2005, 12:40 PM
If you are converting songs to mp3 its been my experience that not all software programs do a good job at conversion. So use a good convertor like Nero or any other trusted brand. Secondly, good and bad cd-rs. I found on my stand alone burner only the best cd-rs copy error free (which happen to be Sony's, but even their quality is slipping). But if I use my computer for burning with Nero at a burn speed of 8 to 12 I get good results even with cd-r that aren't as good as the Sony's. I use to think Kodaks where the best but now they are inconsitent in quality and may not work on my standalone burner.

-Jar-
04-24-2005, 01:55 PM
Has anyone experienced this? I'm not sure if it's my cd player (which is quite old)?
The songs on SOME burned cds have static and sometimes so badly that the song just stops. To fix the problem, I simply make a copy of the cd (using Roxio) and the copy works perfectly. I just noticed this on 2 of Jar's comps but I've noticed it before also.
Anyone know what causes this on SOME cds but not on others and why copying the cd fixes it? Just curious.

that's odd, I played them before I sent them and didn't notice any static. Did you get the static on any other players?

-jar

newtrix1
04-25-2005, 02:27 AM

I use a fairly ancient portable Sony Discman at work (circa early-mid 90's), and I occasionally get that static sound on some cdr's. I don't know why it only affects certain copies and not others. Another odd thing I notice about this static is that it seems to worsen the further in on the cd (as the laser tracks away from the center hub). Remember those black cdr's that came out awhile back? My Sony did not like those either, guarenteed static.
Did you try playing the culprit discs on a different player?

Troy
04-25-2005, 08:32 AM
I get this fairly frequently on swapped CDrs from people.

It's a series of factors conspiring to cause the static:

1- Low quality media. Some CD-Rs people use, I dunno. Where do you buy this crap?I've rcvd CDs in trade that you can actually SEE THROUGH!. Yeah, they can be practically free, down to like 10 cents a disc, but this off brand, usually Korean media is junk. You get what you pay for. Buy brands you have heard of. Good media can be had for .50 a disc with a case if bought in bulk.

2- Burned too fast. Most defualt burner settings are on "burn as fast as possible". This can cause errors on playback because the encoding was rushed. Burn CDs at 8X, not 48X. 48X works for stored computer data files because there is no time limit for the drive to find the info, but music is an on-the-fly thing. The player never gets a chance to catch up, and skips and static happen.

3- Old players. I have a CD player from 1989. It struggles with some CDrs, some it does not. Some old CD/DVD players won't play CDR at all.

So, if you combine 2 of these you're likely to have problems. Crap media on a top notch player will probably play ok . . . if it's recorded at a reasonable speed. Burn good media discs really fast, but you better play them on a good player.

Etc.

And guys, record on "Disc at Once" so that there's no gaps between the songs, woodja?

newtrix1
04-25-2005, 12:44 PM
I've rcvd CDs in trade that you can actually SEE THROUGH!.

Fyi, unless they're heavily printed, you can see thru most cd's...cheap cdr's or conventional discs. Hold one up to your eye and look at a light source, that aluminum layer is mighty thin. If you have an MFSL gold disc, they're even thinner, you can really see thru them.

Troy
04-26-2005, 07:18 AM
Fyi, unless they're heavily printed, you can see thru most cd's...cheap cdr's or conventional discs. Hold one up to your eye and look at a light source, that aluminum layer is mighty thin. If you have an MFSL gold disc, they're even thinner, you can really see thru them.

I just did a test and dang if you can see thru all CDs if you look at a really strong light source, but the ones I'm talking about, you can see through like kleenex at anything, lightsource or not.

KEXPMF
04-27-2005, 01:12 PM
I use a fairly ancient portable Sony Discman at work (circa early-mid 90's), and I occasionally get that static sound on some cdr's. I don't know why it only affects certain copies and not others. Another odd thing I notice about this static is that it seems to worsen the further in on the cd (as the laser tracks away from the center hub). Remember those black cdr's that came out awhile back? My Sony did not like those either, guarenteed static.
Did you try playing the culprit discs on a different player?

This is exactly what I notice... that it worsens as the cd plays. Sometimes the cd even just craps out and I can't play the later tracks. I have wondered if there even might be a connection with the cd heating up and the static.
The one common culprit is that I notice it mostly just on older cd players. I could probably play Jar's cds on a new player (if I had one) and they'd work fine. It did work fine in my computer.

I have some cheap, no name blank cds that I bought in Chinatown and that's what I used to re-burn Jar's cds and they work well. But I think that using cheap ones can be a gamble. I got lucky with these. They say "PRINCO" in the middle and they are white. If you find these, get them.

It's not a big deal to re-burn cds. I was curious as to why it happend. Thanks for all the info. I figured you guys would know!! :cool:

KEXPMF
04-27-2005, 01:17 PM
that's odd, I played them before I sent them and didn't notice any static. Did you get the static on any other players?

-jar

It's not just your cds, I've noticed on several others too. Your cds worked fine in my computer which is new. My cd player is 10 years old. I know, I need a new one. :cool:
All my money went to for my ipod. (and I need to stop spending my money on itunes so much! That is very addictive!)

-Jar-
04-27-2005, 03:18 PM
It's not just your cds, I've noticed on several others too. Your cds worked fine in my computer which is new. My cd player is 10 years old. I know, I need a new one. :cool:
All my money went to for my ipod. (and I need to stop spending my money on itunes so much! That is very addictive!)

Yes, I like Itunes. Any idea what the bitrate is that they use? Anyone? I've gotten about a dozen songs from Pepsi bottle caps. Though I think that promotion is over. :(

I haven't bought any yet, and I'm trying to avoid it, but there are a few ep's I might look into getting. At least the artist is getting something back, as opposed to buying on half.com.

-jar