Did Paradigm make a wall mounted rear speaker to match the Ref. Studio 60v.2? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Did Paradigm make a wall mounted rear speaker to match the Ref. Studio 60v.2?

quick01
04-24-2005, 07:20 AM
I recently bought some used 60 v.2?s for the front a Paradigm Ref. Studio CC v.2 for my center. I?m currently using some white JBL S36ii?s for the rears. My setup is used mostly for music 80/20 and timber matching is a little more critical for me. I considered the Studio 20 v.2?s. But they are too deep, rear ported and I need to be able to angle the speaker down. If I was going to replace the S36?s for timber matching purposes, what options would I have?

My 5.1 setup:

Toshiba 35"
harman/kardon AVR 525 (preamp)
Parasound HCA-2003 (mains & center)
harman/kardon PA 2000 (rears)
Denon DVD-2900
Paradigm Reference Studio 60 v.2
Paradigm Reference Studio CC v.2
JBL S36-II's
SVS PC-Ultra

Woochifer
04-24-2005, 03:40 PM
Keep in mind that the Studio 20 v.2 was not designed to be wall mounted. I don't remember the port location on the Studio ADP v.2, but if those ports are not in the rear and you're definite on wall mounting, then that might be your only option. Otherwise, I suggest that you look into alternative mounting options like wall or ceiling mounted telescoping platforms, or tall stands. I use a pair of 45" stands for my Studio 20 v.2 surrounds, and those are not easy to find because the Studio 20s weigh 28 lbs. each, and all of the cheap tall stands out there will not support that kind of weight.

In actuality, pointing the speakers down to the listening position is exactly what you should NOT do in positioning the surrounds. If you want to optimize for multichannel music, you should have the surrounds close to height as the mains, and angled at about 110 degrees off-center. If you plan to use the setup for both music and movies, then Dolby's guidelines are to raise the speakers about 2' above ear level and point them directly at one another. This diffuses the sound, which is what you want with movie soundtracks that have mostly ambient sounds in the surrounds. That positioning also maintains the directionality that you want with multichannel music soundtracks.

quick01
04-25-2005, 10:03 AM
The ADP v.2 huh? I’ll check into it. One of my rears has to be mounted above an exterior door. They are angled down but not toward the listening area. Really, more towards each other as they are facing one another from across a 23’ room. Also, the listening area is not really centered, which makes it even tougher. Thanks for the feedback!

kexodusc
04-25-2005, 10:48 AM
For a brief time, I did mount the side Studio 20's on the wall...The rear port didn't cause any problems, but it did make the bass much thinner, probably rolled off by 60 Hz or so...okay for my setup. They were heavy, and since I didn't want to run screws into them I decided to buy a few stands...Wooch is right, pointing the speakers straight at you isn't the best option, arrows and bullets and things that fly by tend to really sizzle, I found pointing the woofer at your head and the tweeter way over you (or even a bit higher) to be the best, if you must wall mount.

quick01
04-29-2005, 06:04 AM
The ADP is really a HT option, which gives you that diffuse sound that I'm not looking for. My setup is used almost exclusively for Hi-Res audio, concert DVD's and redbook playback.

What about if I shelved a v.2 pair of 20's horizontally facing each other?

Woochifer
04-29-2005, 10:58 AM
The ADP is really a HT option, which gives you that diffuse sound that I'm not looking for. My setup is used almost exclusively for Hi-Res audio, concert DVD's and redbook playback.

What about if I shelved a v.2 pair of 20's horizontally facing each other?

I only brought up the ADP as an option because I don't remember if the ports on those speakers are rear firing. If they are not rear firing, then they are better suited to wall mounting.

The 20s are a problem for any kind of close proximity mounting or placement inside of enclosures because of that rear firing port. Aiming the drivers directly at one another will diffuse the sound. Dolby recommends this placement as a compromise for systems that will play both movies and multichannel music. It diffuses the sound just enough so that ambient cues don't sound like point sources, but retains enough of the directionality needed for a lot of multichannel music sources.

If your sources do not have a lot of ambient cues or monophonic sounds like a lot of movie soundtracks, then you can aim the speakers toward the listening position, but try to mount them as equidistant to the listening position as possible, especially if your high res player does not allow you to increase the delay timing.

quick01
04-29-2005, 12:42 PM
Woochifer, good info! I appreciate the feedback.

If I shelve the 20's horizontally, do you think it will affect the sound much?