Receiver or subwoofer? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Receiver or subwoofer?

zullo
04-23-2005, 09:13 PM
Hello, all. Sorry to be bothering you. I am new to this forum and fairly new to high end audio as well and I am in one serious doubt in what would make a better upgrade for my system. I got a pair polk“s RTi10 and one brand level receiver, not in the same level as polk“s loudspeakers. I now am thinking about upgrading my system but cannot decide if i should whether buy a new good quality receiver or a good quality subwoofer. I am thinking of buying the denon avr-1905, avr-2805 or avr-3805. Is difference in price between them worth the money or the lowest one would already be adequate? What are your suggestions on these receivers, are there others on the same price range that could do better for me?
Now, about the sub. What could match my system? I heard polk“s subs are not the best, that there are others on the same price range that can do better than them.

I mainly listen to drum'n'bass and jazz. My budget is of about US$1600 for the receiver and US$1000 for the sub.

Sorry for the long post and I hope you can help me.

N. Abstentia
04-24-2005, 04:17 AM
Why not just do both? If you've budgeted $1600 for JUST a receiver, you can get a killer Onkyo (I don't like Denon) receiver for around $1000 and a killer sub from SVS or HSU for $600.

You can have your cake and eat it too!

shokhead
04-24-2005, 06:45 AM
You could get a more killer reciever{Denon as i dont like Onkyo} and a SVS sub{dont care for HSU} for $1500 easy. Less if you go for a good used reciever. Lets see,a 2805 and a 20-39pci for $1300,not bad. LOL :D

paul_pci
04-24-2005, 10:20 AM
I gotta make my plug for Yamaha. You could easily get a Yamaha RX-V 2500, right now the highest end Y. receiver without going unnecessarily overboard. At least check out the Denon, Onkyo, and Yamahas to see which suits your purposes nicely.

MomurdA
04-26-2005, 02:02 PM
What about marantz receivers? You could get a sweet one for 1k and use the rest for an svs sub. Their subs will blow you away, literally, almost.

N. Abstentia
04-26-2005, 03:17 PM
Definitely go Marantz, Onkyo, or Yamaha over Denon for sure.

gulmer
04-26-2005, 04:14 PM
The size of your Home Theater room comes into play on which receiver to get,talking about wpc(watts per channel).I would recommend Denon 2805 for med.size room,3805 for larger size,either one got high reveiws.Lot of good subs out there,take a listen to and read reveiws,sounds like you can go for both.
Enjoy!!

IRG
04-27-2005, 05:48 AM
Definitely go Marantz, Onkyo, or Yamaha over Denon for sure.

And I will add my plug for NAD receivers. I've owned Onkyo and Yamaha before - both decent receivers, but the NAD is superior to my ears, and easier to operate/program. It has gotten some bad press in the past with a few quality issues (so has Onkyo, HK, Denon etc.) but I have experienced none of that. All of these receivers are pretty good for the money.

One question no one has asked, is that with his budget, he may be able to get a better receiver, SVS/Hsu sub, AND, get better main speakers and still be within his budget. Sell the Polks or use them for surrounds. That will make a bigger impact in sound, IMO, than whether he buys a Denon 2805, 3805 or a Yamaha model. Unless of course he goes for the NAD :)

zullo
04-29-2005, 03:02 PM
Thank you for the kind answers. One thing you might have not understood is that my budget is not of $1600+$1000. ItĀ“s $1600,00 OR $1000,00. IĀ“ve checked the SVS and was very impressed with it. The problem is that they donĀ“t have any dealers, they just sell over the internet and to dispatch it to Brazil you could easily multiply the cost by 4. Anyways, it would still be on what I could spend with a sub but would not allow me to get a receiver. Also, I have been looking into the HKs. I was very impressed by the HK635 specs. I have not listened to it but I have read many good things about HK receivers. Of course, I am still doing my research and I can change my view completely. About NAD, I have also read many good things about it, but I am lost on where to start looking for it(which models and their price range).

Once again, thank you and I hope you can continue helping me.