Ascend Owners? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ascend Owners?

oddeoowphil38
04-23-2005, 07:13 PM
Does anybody here have any experience with both the Ascend cbm-170 and the Paradigm monitor 3's or studio 20's??? It appears that the 170's are a true "Giant Killer" and a true bargain of the century. That is, I called them up and was told that they are similar to the studio 20's. Is this true? Heck, I love the minis very much but the staff at Ascend told me they were more on par with the 20's. The 20's are out of my price range but the 170's sure aren't. Also, is the Cmt-340c that much better than the 170 center? Are the cmt-340m that much better than the 170's in terms of price? I must admit that the frequency response of the 170 sure is flat-almost too flat to believe. My plans are to upgrade to the Monitor 3 v.4 for my fronts, the cc-370 v.4 for my center, and the mini's v.4 for the rears. But, I am torn due to the reviews of the Ascends 170's. Keep in mind that I do put more emphasis on music listening in 2.1 mode. However, I do like that true wrap around effect from my system when watching dvd. I also plan on adding another PS-1000 sub as well to enjoy 2.2 stereo listening where SQ is a must with good bass thump. I want a second sub for better balance as well as to reduce some standing waves. Any unbiased advice would be welcomed.....any takers?

oddeoowphil38
04-24-2005, 07:03 AM
Does anybody here have any experience with both the Ascend cbm-170 and the Paradigm monitor 3's or studio 20's??? It appears that the 170's are a true "Giant Killer" and a true bargain of the century. That is, I called them up and was told that they are similar to the studio 20's. Is this true? Heck, I love the minis very much but the staff at Ascend told me they were more on par with the 20's. The 20's are out of my price range but the 170's sure aren't. Also, is the Cmt-340c that much better than the 170 center? Are the cmt-340m that much better than the 170's in terms of price? I must admit that the frequency response of the 170 sure is flat-almost too flat to believe. My plans are to upgrade to the Monitor 3 v.4 for my fronts, the cc-370 v.4 for my center, and the mini's v.4 for the rears. But, I am torn due to the reviews of the Ascends 170's. Keep in mind that I do put more emphasis on music listening in 2.1 mode. However, I do like that true wrap around effect from my system when watching dvd. I also plan on adding another PS-1000 sub as well to enjoy 2.2 stereo listening where SQ is a must with good bass thump. I want a second sub for better balance as well as to reduce some standing waves. Any unbiased advice would be welcomed.....any takers?
Come on-surely there are some Ascend owners out there? I am looking to get some unbiased feedback from members who have experience with both Ascend and Paradigm. I realize that speaker preference is subjective but I am so curious about the CBM-170's. Anyone care to elaborate?

Geoffcin
04-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Come on-surely there are some Ascend owners out there? I am looking to get some unbiased feedback from members who have experience with both Ascend and Paradigm. I realize that speaker preference is subjective but I am so curious about the CBM-170's. Anyone care to elaborate?

I seem to remember several threads on these speakers. Ascend is a very focused company, and builds these small speakers to perform. I've never head them personally, but I know several members are happy with them.

Geoffcin
04-24-2005, 08:38 AM
Here's a thread on just what you are looking for;

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=7759&highlight=cbm-170

oddeoowphil38
04-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Geoff once again thanks for the help. This thread helped some. maybe I can find more.

anamorphic96
04-24-2005, 12:40 PM
Try this - http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/