The long-awaited return of Friday Reviews! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The long-awaited return of Friday Reviews!

Davey
04-22-2005, 09:08 AM
A few years ago we tried to have a weekly feature around here called Friday Reviews and it was pretty fun for awhile, but then sputtered and fizzled out, and has only resurfaced on occasion. I guess the Friday Song of the Day thread became almost like a shorthand version, but if anyone wants to give us a little review, that would be cool. Any new or old favorite you'd like to waste a few words on? This one is kind of recycled since I gathered it together from a few old posts I found in the now defunct archives here....

Solex Low Kick and Hard Bop
If I was to revisit my Best of 2001 list today, this would be near the top. It strikes me much the same way that Cibo Matto did back in the mid 90s, but this Dutch record shop owner turned sample-crazed, avant-garde musician, Elisabeth Esselink, seems to be working in a world of her own and sounds very unique to my ears, even though the music flows mostly through obscure samples from her record shop. Kinda weird stuff that you don't hear everyday. Sometimes just plain amazing. Sometimes just plain weird. The opening title track comes on slowly with a blues harmonica and pounding drums driving a storm of shifting rhythms and sonic detours to its spoken rap centerpiece. The whole album is kind of mind boggling, but it can really get under your skin. At least it did for me. One of my top albums of the last few years and still sounds fresh with each new listen.

newtrix1
04-22-2005, 03:12 PM
Sorry, I'm not familiar enough yet with this EMI label sampler that Mr. Finch sent me to write a review. However I have spun it at least three times this week and each time I find a new song that clicks with me. Some dang fine upbeat rockin' tunes on this thing. I've not heard of 90% of these artists, so I guess I'll be doing some research and posting some questions in the near future, and maybe even post a review next Friday :rolleyes:

Davey
04-22-2005, 03:48 PM
Sorry, I'm not familiar enough yet....
If it looks like a pity response, sounds like a pity response, and smells like a pity response, it probably is a pity response. Thanks buddy, I'll remember this next time one of your posts is dying a slow death ;)

I was just thinking that I should probably do the same thing to that nice but lonely post about comebacks that nobody made earlier. Hmmm, can't think of a good one right now except that Television album I like, but doesn't seem that most people give it much love. Oh well, you're on your own this time, nobody.

tentoze
04-22-2005, 06:06 PM
I'd chime in here for ya, brodie, but for 2 issues:

1) I'm so backlogged with new stuff that I don't give any of it enough spins to get familiar with it lately.
2) Nothing I gots would hold much, if any, interest to the folks here anyway.

newtrix1
04-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Not even Nobody. Maybe next week will be better ;)